Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 10:01 AM

4,930 posts, read 3,044,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeQBF View Post
Illinois is a big state and has at least four climactic zones, so where is it are we complaining about?

West Coast is no picnic, either. Twice in the past three years I've had to ask my sister just how close the fires were to their house, or, conversely, if their hillside washed away under 'em. Let's not mention the recent earthquakes, which were within spitting distance of where we grew up.

We get earthquakes as well, still have cracks in my walls from this; which shook me out of bed during a snowstorm:

"The whole house shook," Walter Mockus of St. Charles, Illinois, told WGN. "The chimes that hang were all ringing. It was so loud, I thought a plane had gone down."
Earthquake rattles northern Illinois - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 10:21 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Unless you want to live in a coastal city/town which is outrageously expensive, most places in the US have some rough weather.

The Southwest is great if you like the oven-baking heat 5-6 months a year (which some do!). Funny, I lived in Tucson and if it wasn't 92-93+, it was actually too COLD for swimming. The instant you got out of the water, the dry air zapped you into shivering freeze - to the point we kept in the water up to our necks as long as possible and then got out and ran inside. But 92 degrees there is a lovely feeling when not swimming. The other half of the year was nice as well, but you feel the dryness there. It wears on you.

The Southeast is miserable in the summer. Humid most of the year.
The east coast is drenched in humidity in the summer and the upper east coast gets hammered with snow. The 2nd hottest I ever was in my life was walking in downtown Philly in July with a business suit on. 97 degrees with 90% humidity.

Texas is scorching hot.

Colorado has pretty nice weather, but it does get cold, and the dry air freezes you at night. Plus, snow.

There are small pockets in the US that are more ideal than others, but it's a small portion of the country outside of the expensive California coast.

Inland California is HOT. And full of fires.

PNW coast is super cloudy/misty/foggy for the majority of the year.

Chicago's weather isn't great by any stretch, but it's not this monster.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:23 PM

605 posts, read 711,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Forecast for the week:
Monday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 77. North northeast wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.

Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 57.

Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 81.

Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 60.

Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 84.

Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 62.

Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 85.

Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 64.

Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 87.

Perfect!

Chicago, where you get 1 week out of 52 of perfect weather!

Old 07-22-2019, 04:55 PM

5 posts, read 7,896 times
I moved from Chicago to east TN mountains. Weather is much better yr round and COL. Well...I feel like a millionaire.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:00 PM

149 posts, read 315,110 times
The midwest is insane. Where i am over near the Mississippi River we had -33F (actual air temp) back in Janauary and we had a heat index (temp+humidity) of 117F last week. Its very nice the past few days (80F ish)//cooler nights but summer isn't over and the ragweed will start pumping out copious amounts of pollen very soon. Fall can be nice..but last fall was cloudy constantly.

If you want "perfect" (ideals of perfect weather vary) weather you have to seek out higher elevation areas near the equator. Bogota, Colombia is springish year round...Medellin, Colombia (80F/60F year round)... Higher elevations of Peru/Ecuador. South America has huge variety of weather from glaciers to the hottest rainforests (check out Manaus, Brazil vs say Quito, Ecuador)

In the US San Diego usually ranks about tops if you like moderate temps...but go visit first and bring fat stacks of cash. I'd rather deal with more heat and live somewhere like Vegas--maybe SLC or Boise...

Old 07-23-2019, 01:56 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Forecast for the week:
Monday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 77. North northeast wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.

Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 57.

Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 81.

Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 60.

Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 84.

Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 62.

Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 85.

Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 64.

Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 87.

Perfect!
Yep better

Anything east of the Rockies is useless ****

Old 07-23-2019, 02:00 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Unless you want to live in a coastal city/town which is outrageously expensive, most places in the US have some rough weather.

The Southwest is great if you like the oven-baking heat 5-6 months a year (which some do!). Funny, I lived in Tucson and if it wasn't 92-93+, it was actually too COLD for swimming. The instant you got out of the water, the dry air zapped you into shivering freeze - to the point we kept in the water up to our necks as long as possible and then got out and ran inside. But 92 degrees there is a lovely feeling when not swimming. The other half of the year was nice as well, but you feel the dryness there. It wears on you.

The Southeast is miserable in the summer. Humid most of the year.
The east coast is drenched in humidity in the summer and the upper east coast gets hammered with snow. The 2nd hottest I ever was in my life was walking in downtown Philly in July with a business suit on. 97 degrees with 90% humidity.

Texas is scorching hot.

Colorado has pretty nice weather, but it does get cold, and the dry air freezes you at night. Plus, snow.

There are small pockets in the US that are more ideal than others, but it's a small portion of the country outside of the expensive California coast.

Inland California is HOT. And full of fires.

PNW coast is super cloudy/misty/foggy for the majority of the year.

Chicago's weather isn't great by any stretch, but it's not this monster.
Oh it’s a monster. And yes much of the US weather is useless. I think the Southwest desert is the most ideal

Old 07-23-2019, 02:25 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Oh it’s a monster. And yes much of the US weather is useless. I think the Southwest desert is the most ideal
It's better than most. My mom lives in Tucson, and she has to escape somewhere by July. From late May through late September is dang hot. And relentlessly so. When I lived there, I mostly liked the climate, but I had a hard time with the unending, relentless nature of the pounding sun/heat for months. Almost zero relief except an occasional monsoon. People love the sun, but man, when it's blinding every day for 3-4 months you feel like you need a vacation to a forest or something.

There are some spots in New Mexico with pretty ideal weather, not as hot.

Some years in Chicago, we can get a long stretch of grey/dreary. Not every year, but once in awhile you get those 20-25 days straight of feeling like you're in a cave. I can deal with cold as long as it's not every single freaking day.

I'd never make it in Portland or Seattle where you can go many weeks straight of the same foggy weather, over and over.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:58 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Shrugs shoulders, I like the weather here.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:11 AM

174 posts, read 231,729 times
Good luck finding your perfect spot move and you will find heat, humidity, cold, snow, wind, tornadoes, earthquakes, landslides, rain, too sunny, too rainy, winter, spring, summer, fall, hurricanes, monsoons, typhoons. people ***** every year during the one or two abnormal weeks of hot or cold. There may be one or two spots in the whole world with perfect weather good luck finding them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois