Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 11:52 AM

1,067 posts, read 896,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
No to mention that there are nearly the same number of cases for those under 40. Many deaths in this age group too. The age thing just doesn't hold true. Older people in general are at greater risk for any disease, but given how many people under 40 haven gotten this and died, there won't be any decisions based on age. EVERYONE is at risk!

Which is why everything will continue to be shutdown for the forseeable future.
Not true. I just ran through the stats supported by Illinois department of health. Stop spreading false information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 11:59 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,765,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Not true. I just ran through the stats supported by Illinois department of health. Stop spreading false information.
No...many people under 40 have gotten COVID19 and died. Sorry....I wish it weren't true. That is why everything will remain shutdown for the foreseeable future. Sorry......

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/03/who-...ronavirus.html

Mentally it's hard to accept this because it's scary, and you know this information will keep things shutdown. But it is true. Young people are just as at risk for getting this and many have died (risk of death is lower, but still, many have died).

Things will stay shutdown for the foreseeable future because of this.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:14 PM

1,067 posts, read 896,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
No...many people under 40 have gotten COVID19 and died. Sorry....I wish it weren't true. That is why everything will remain shutdown for the foreseeable future. Sorry......
Wrong again.

Illinois DPH less than 100 (https://www.dph.illinois.gov/covid19/covid19-statistics)
National CDC less than 800 (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/index.htm)

Old 04-18-2020, 12:18 PM

9,874 posts, read 5,535,674 times
The idea we're all gonna hide from this thing until it blows over is just stupid. It's gonna be with us for a long time, unfortunately will pick much of the low-hanging fruit despite our best efforts, most of us will develop antibodies to fight it, the mortality rate will level off and stabilize, and eventually it will be just another coronavirus that comes and goes seasonally and claims several thousand people every year, and life will go one for the vast majority of society.

They told us we need to hunker down to "flatten the curve." Okay, now that we've done that it's time to plan our way back to normalcy.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:21 PM

4,817 posts, read 6,822,574 times
The following study is from yesterday (April 17). It's the % of deaths based on the population of the state.

Interesting statistic. You can draw your own conclusions.

Geography with Goudge: Coronavirus Deaths | News | kmaland.com

Old 04-18-2020, 12:21 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,765,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Wrong again.

Illinois DPH less than 100 (https://www.dph.illinois.gov/covid19/covid19-statistics)
National CDC less than 800 (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/index.htm)
No...I'm done going in circles with you. Many people under 40 have gotten COVID19 and many have died. No matter the age, everyone is at risk. That is why everything will continue to be shutdown. It doesn't matter what you say...you won't change my mind, and everything will stay shutdown for the foreseeable future no matter how many stats you try to show. Sorry.........

Old 04-18-2020, 12:25 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,913,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
It's also time for the local news readers to report news instead of only virus topics. It's getting old hearing the same reports over and over. There has to be other things happening that we should know about. Who cares who's waving a flashlight from their balcony or putting a chalk message on the sidewalk ? Time to get back to normal. Nothing wrong with reporting new cases or deaths but we really don't have to know about every one.
So sorry you're annoyed. Maybe turn off the news and read a book or something? Or go watch cat videos on YouTube? I don't know what you hope to achieve by shaking your first at the news for reporting on a pandemic when we're in a pandemic.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:35 PM

4,497 posts, read 4,992,137 times
I'm not trying to achieve anything. But to spend the entire newscast on one subject is not what news is about. Maybe you're so forgetful that you have to be reminded all day, every day about the virus ?

Old 04-18-2020, 06:01 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,152,103 times
Hello all. Where are you guys with the Stay At Home order? Our governor extended it until May 26th. I don't know if any of you saw, but there was a large protest, not too far from me, outside of Brookfield Square Mall this afternoon. Several hundred people, I understand. Some people standing very close together, and some not wearing masks.
I don't think anyone denies that a strain of virus has caused suffering and death worldwide. And I respect and pray for those very people who have suffered and died, as well as their families AND the people working in the medical field!
But there has to be a balance. People have lost jobs. Depression and anxiety clearly will skyrocket. I guess I am "lucky". I have been able to keep my job, because I work in a jail. In fact, I am now being paid more per hour and can work part time hours without having to use benefit time. But there are countless people who are not in that position. And they need to keep their independent stores open, and provide for their families.
Can't we strike a balance??? Can't we keep the businesses running AND mandate less people at a time, with distance AND masks. While we all ALSO practice washing our hands and not touching our faces???
I think ANY situation in life that takes one extreme is what causes bigger issues. Balance is the key.
If I am wrong and speaking out of line, I apologize. I wish you all, my Illinois neighbors, good health.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:39 AM

3,468 posts, read 2,135,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
How is Singapore doing compared to Chicago with half the population and 10,000 confirmed cases? Or NYC with its 125,000 confirmed cases?
Um, not so good of late

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs...ew-virus-cases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois