Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 07:47 AM

21,649 posts, read 9,208,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
You asked, soooo...she was too young to be making this type of decision.
Would you approve of 13 year olds voting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 08:07 AM

3,177 posts, read 1,659,995 times
The best way to resist such nonsense as this would be to get involved in your children's lives, in effect; deprogram them on a daily basis. Ask them what they discussed, not just "how was school today?" Don't accept one word answers either. Talk about what the teachers covered, challenge them and make then actually THINK about what was discussed and why. Give them the knowledge to know when a subject is being politicalized and dragged off topic. Let them know it's alright to voice a disagreement with a teacher.

Old 02-27-2021, 10:08 AM

85 posts, read 70,254 times
I mean, have you ever taken a look at the types of things that the CTU posts on Twitter or other social media accounts? It's reads about like low grade, Soviet era Russian propaganda. And a good portion of it has absolutely nothing at all to do with actual student education. It's naive to think that this same brand of diatribe won't find its way into the classroom at some point.

I have the utmost respect for educators. Really I do. I was a GA for two semesters in grad school and had to teach a couple of intro classes and I could not hack it. And this was dealing with adults. I could not fathom dealing with teenagers and children. I would lose my ever loving mind within days I am quite sure. However, I also firmly believe that ideology has no place in the classroom. If they insist upon this then it is bound to **** people off, and judging by much of the content of this thread I would say it is rising to this level.

Old 03-22-2021, 12:45 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,377,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
White privilege refers to these facts:

White people in general are able to have a positive relationship with the police. Black people in general don't have that kind of relationship with police.
-- Relationship is a two-way street. Police personnel can only build relationships if they are not feeling threatened. Whoever (black, white, yellow, green) comes to a cop with a gun, gets shot.

White people are generally favored by the school authorities. Their children do not usually get suspended for minor offenses and certainly the youngest preschoolers are not treated as if they were inherently bad.
-- Kids who are taught to be polite, wear pants that cover their behinds, who follow teachers' directions, study, don't disrupt classes, are truly favored by teaches.

White people have the privilege of finding books that represent their race in a positive way (this is getting better, but it is still not easy to find good books that portray black children positively especially in schools.
-- It is not necessary to only follow good examples set by people of someone's own race. It is very much possible to borrow goodness from people of other races.

White people can and do play the colorblind card.
-- I sat in the same room with an employee of a different than mine skin color. We were separated by a large piece of furniture. When I was talking to her without seeing her, I was absolutely forgetting of what color her beautiful skin is. But the fact she was a lazy dumb b***ch bothered me significantly.

White people are usually not assumed to be ready to steal from stores. They are not followed around and watched suspiciously.
-- I was watched, when I wasn't dressed well enough for a store I visited.

The deadliest hate crime in the history of South Carolina occured in Charleston in 2015.
https://www.washingtoninformer.com/e...%20the%20South.

Thee deadliest hate crimes were occurring through history all the time. They are called wars. Most of them were not between races. There's no hatred in public against other skin colors, but some individuals, from all races, are just really, really bad people who should be isolated from society, and some of them should be exterminated.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:54 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,801,839 times
I'm married to a very liberal Asian woman. During the summer of 2020 she confronted me on a few things, letting me know that I am not even aware of the privilege I have. I challenged her on that and we had an interesting discussion.

The gist of it was that I never even have to think about what I look like in my interactions with others. That I never have to worry about what an employer or a store clerk, etc. etc. is thinking about my appearance/race. Being white is the default/"normal" and thus it's not really a part of my day.

It was an interesting take. And it's true - I never think about it, and it's not a stresser in my life.

She explained that was what white privilege was...not that white people are given explicit advantages or that minorities don't have the ability to be successful. But that for them, it's part of the equation, whereas for me it is not.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:02 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,801,839 times
As I get older and observe the world, it also is VERY apparent that the longer one's family has been in the US, the more advantages they have. And white people have been here the longest (aside from Native Americans, which is totally different and not relevant here). Europeans had first dibs on land, first dibs on creating laws, first dibs on running universities, controlling ports of entry, early corporations, I could go on. And lineage trickles down, saving spots for their family and friends.

Sure, other races and cultures can come over and have success. Absolutely. But they are fighting for smaller pieces that haven't already been claimed. Or they have to start from scratch and create something, which of course is a harder road then having mom and dad help you get into Yale, or get you that internship. You get the idea.

So a lot of the anger and battles are being waged to fight this "privilege". We create scholarships, have diversity training etc. etc. Some of that can help but the lineage for many top spots in this country has long already been established.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:18 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,969,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I'm married to a very liberal Asian woman. During the summer of 2020 she confronted me on a few things, letting me know that I am not even aware of the privilege I have. I challenged her on that and we had an interesting discussion.

The gist of it was that I never even have to think about what I look like in my interactions with others. That I never have to worry about what an employer or a store clerk, etc. etc. is thinking about my appearance/race. Being white is the default/"normal" and thus it's not really a part of my day.

It was an interesting take. And it's true - I never think about it, and it's not a stresser in my life.

She explained that was what white privilege was...not that white people are given explicit advantages or that minorities don't have the ability to be successful. But that for them, it's part of the equation, whereas for me it is not.
I totally get what your wife is saying and she has a point... but what is the remedy for the issue she's pointing out? Is it to make white people feel bad about their skin being white? I would hope not.

I think it's to help people gain another perspective and become more understanding and kind toward others (regardless of their color of skin).

I wouldn't want my child to feel bad about having white skin... nor would I want one of his friends with a different skin color to feel bad about their skin color.

Regardless, this thread makes me glad we got our kids out of public school lol.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:22 AM

4,611 posts, read 3,156,420 times
Some people such as myself go by the philosophy of " I treat everyone the same/ I don't see color" and there are people that want to jump on them and say they are being, in fact, insensitive.

And then I have to say: You want to take a breath there, and maybe have a discussion with me BEFORE you jump on me?

I NEVER said I do not appreciate and value diversity. In fact, I do my best to always learn about different languages, religions, etc. and teach my children to do the same... To never judge a person by what you see on the outside (hair style, skin color, even clothing); but rather the way they interact with yourself and others.

Sooo, if someone has a problem with THAT, then I guess I'm going to leave that being THEIR problem; not mine.

It is atypical for me to have problems with communicating with people ANYWHERE I go... Hmmm, perhaps my "I treat everyone the same/ I don't see color" plays a part in that????

And the reality is: In this day and age, you're ALWAYS going to find someone that is offended by this and that.

Peace!

Old 03-22-2021, 02:41 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,331,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
The gist of it was that I never even have to think about what I look like in my interactions with others. That I never have to worry about what an employer or a store clerk, etc. etc. is thinking about my appearance/race.
That sounds more like her issue rather than that of the people arround her. She attributes every negative interaction with others to racism when the majority of people deal with and treat people the same regardless of their sex, race ethnicity. Although all racists are @holes, not all @holes are racists.

The people constantly demanding people be treated differently because of their identity group are on the left and frankly I see no distinction between the cretins wearing white sheets or swastikas and the identity politics wh*res on the left.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 03-22-2021 at 02:58 PM..

Old 03-22-2021, 03:12 PM

207 posts, read 210,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Some people such as myself go by the philosophy of " I treat everyone the same/ I don't see color" and there are people that want to jump on them and say they are being, in fact, insensitive.

And then I have to say: You want to take a breath there, and maybe have a discussion with me BEFORE you jump on me?

I NEVER said I do not appreciate and value diversity. In fact, I do my best to always learn about different languages, religions, etc. and teach my children to do the same... To never judge a person by what you see on the outside (hair style, skin color, even clothing); but rather the way they interact with yourself and others.

Sooo, if someone has a problem with THAT, then I guess I'm going to leave that being THEIR problem; not mine.

It is atypical for me to have problems with communicating with people ANYWHERE I go... Hmmm, perhaps my "I treat everyone the same/ I don't see color" plays a part in that????

And the reality is: In this day and age, you're ALWAYS going to find someone that is offended by this and that.

Peace!
Master Jay, I adore your positivity. You're always a bright light on here.

That being said, I learned a long time ago not to say "I don't see color" as I was immediately attacked for being insensitive and not appreciating the struggles of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois