Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:32 PM

81 posts, read 327,469 times

Advertisements

We did it! We signed a lease in Benton just last week, I am so excited! So far, everyone has been really nice. The landlord seems to be good and have a good rep who owns a business and some properties. I have already contacted the school my children will be attending, who have been really helpful and are helping with the transition...and apparently this will be the first year that Benton is starting a Youth football league, which my youngest will be joining, all positive experiences so far...

Just one quick question...how does this area take to latinos/hispanics in your humble opinion? I haven't noticed or received any bad vibes but I was just wondering because we are a bi-racial family (Caucasion & Hispanic).

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 11:41 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Good luck with that. My SIL just moved out; said Benton was over-run by criminals and that the police do nothing. It pays to check a place out before you commit to move there.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:49 PM

Myrc60: Thanks for the luck. I hope your SIL is happy. I did check out the basics and did my research on the town before we commited, including the crime rate. Your comment has actually been the first negative one I've heard, but then again, your opinion is going on hearsay...thanks anyway though.

If anyone could offer any first hand answers to my actual question, that would be wonderful.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:34 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Maybe she lived in the wrong part of town??? I'd be interested to know how you find it when you get there.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:34 PM

551 posts, read 3,122,215 times
I'm not originally from Benton, but from a town nearby. I've never heard of any significant crime in southern Illinois--ever. It's pretty much non-existent. Benton is a nice little community and I think you'll enjoy it! The people are friendly and the area is absolutely beautiful. With regards to the race question--in all honesty, I think it depends. If your husband is very assimilated, or "Americanized", I'd be quick to say you'll have no problems at all. However, if he speaks with a strong accent and appears more "foreign", people mayyyy be a little slower to accept. Just my perception, having grown up in southern Illinois. Welcome to the area though--it's wonderful.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:02 AM

4 posts, read 10,963 times
if your white or can pass for white I really don't see a problem, anywhere for you come on now! But tell me folks how do you think a black single mom would stand up to living in Benton, btw not single by choice husband is handicap and lives in a nursing/rehab home at the present time, thanks

Old 06-10-2008, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the responses...I found it humorous that it was assumed that I was caucasion, when in fact I'm Hispanic and yes, totally "americanized" as my mom has told me many times, hahaha. I was born and raised here in the states and speak perfect English and Spanish with an accent!

I'll make sure to post after settling in!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,505 times
hello! i am moving to benton soon, i hope. i am buying a house there, and will be moving my wife and children with me. (they are black and i am white). my wife is under the impression (from my brother who is in Du Quoin), that Benton is still stuck in the old days. When interacial relationships were punished. i am from Southern, Il. originally, and know that people there as a majority gudge by character,not color,but for her & the kids i'd like some input from those who live there. so they can "hear it from the horses mouth" as they say.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:13 PM

Well...my family have been in Benton since June and let me say.....we love it! My children are attending the local schools, the teachers have been wonderful...everywhere we go, we are greeted with respect and kindness. I am so glad we moved!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 08:21 PM

990 posts, read 3,185,619 times
The people in the Benton/West Frankfort area all seem very nice. You should fit in fine, best of luck to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois