Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 05:44 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,518,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1985 View Post
I am a 22 year olds and I need to get out NW Pennsylvania
It is a economically depressed area and very rural. I just happened to be looking at a map of IL and saw Decatur .

What kind of Jobs are there. I will need to rent so what the rental prices like. How about shopping,entertainment,etc.
How large is it I am looking for a small city but not a small town
Any reason you were looking in Illinois? or did you just happen to be looking at a map of Illinois?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 10:19 AM

515 posts, read 1,552,536 times
Yes, it's Forsyth to the north, and Mt. Zion to the south, that are both reasonable places.

We just got away from the Decatur area a few months ago.

I'd go with Bloomington, Champaign, Peoria, Springfield, then Decatur. I lived in Clinton, which is right in the middle. No jobs there, either...

~D

Last edited by jtjmom; 05-23-2008 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-23-2008, 06:01 PM

44 posts, read 141,809 times
No particular reason I want go there I was interested on just getting out of Pennsylvania just kind of wanted to know some info of that area
Thanks for the Reply

Old 06-09-2008, 03:52 PM

17 posts, read 100,434 times
Avoid Decatur at all cost! I moved to Decatur after graduating from college at 22 due to my employer. Unfortunately, it was probably the worst experience of my life. There is no culture at all in that town. The only positive I can think of is the low cost of living. Springfield, Bloomington and Champaign are all better options. I would disagree with the statement that crime is worst in Springfield. One must keep in mind that Springfield is a city of about 20k more people than Decatur, and lies on a major interstate between St. Louis and Chicago, so understandably there are more people coming through there which could distort the true amount of crime. Decatur is an island unto itself and has some major crime issues. I also lived on the western edge of town, and smelled ADM every morning I awaken there! Life is too short, and there are too many nice places to even think about moving to Decatur, IL!!!!

Old 07-04-2008, 11:59 PM

2 posts, read 9,993 times
I grew up in Decatur. I have to agree that unless there is some special reason you're looking at Decatur, it sure doesn't stand out as the one spot you should be looking at. I agree that it pretty much is the worst spot of the central il cities but from what I've heard, the ones commenting about Springfield being worse could be right. Peoria has all the same problems and the school systems are just as bad if not worse than Decatur's. I would look at Bloomington Normal where I live now.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 9,993 times
Oh yeah. Forgot about the bad smell from ADM and Staley's.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:57 AM

23 posts, read 58,321 times
Quote:
It is a economically depressed area and very rural. I just happened to be looking at a map of IL and saw Decatur .

What kind of Jobs are there. I will need to rent so what the rental prices like. How about shopping,entertainment,etc.
I, myself, am a 23 year old who has lived in Decatur all my life, with the exception of two years attending grad school in Denver. I agree with the other posters here; moving to Decatur would be a huge mistake. The goal of virtually every young person living in this city is to get the hell out.

Decatur is a perfect example of a dying industrial town. Our poverty rate is currently a whopping 21%, which is astronomical for the US, and the unemployment rate is over 7%, which is quite high as well and partially due to the decline of industry.

The crime rate is also very high, being almost twice the national average. There is little in the way of entertainment and recreation which is probably part of the reason why drug use is so prevalent here. There is little in terms of pretty scenery; we do have a nice little nature preserve called Rock Springs Nature Center, but everything else outside of Decatur is corn and soybean fields. I'm not exaggerating when I say you can drive in any direction out of Decatur for a good two hours and see absolutely nothing but corn and soybeans, with the exception of the occasional town or city.

The city also smells quite bad. You get used to it after awhile, but the two major industrial plants, ADM and Tate & Lyle, are major food processors and create a stench that drenches the entire city. The presence of so much industry also gives the city a very 'blue collar' feel, which isn't bad but something worth knowing if you are considering moving here.

In truth, I'll alway love Decatur because it is my hometown. However, I will never live here again. I'm home for the summer but I'll be moving in August and never plan to live here again. I'll visit to see family, but the city offers nothing anymore. A city that's lost it's way, sadly. And, unfortunately, given recent decisions made by our city council I highly doubt Decatur will begin improving anytime soon. I hate to put down my hometown so badly, but it's the truth as I see it.

Thus, if you have your heart set on Central Illinois I suggest looking at Champaign-Urbana or Peoria. Even Springfield would be a better decision. Another poster here claimed Springfield was worse, but I don't see how anyone can believe that. I've been to Springfield countless times (it's only a half hour or so away from Decatur) and there is so much more to do there than there is in Decatur, probably stemming from the fact that it's our state capital. The other poster mentioned Springfield's crime rate but I assure you, while Springfield's crime rate is high, Decatur's is higher still. Decatur is a more dangerous city.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:04 AM

974 posts, read 1,580,847 times
i agree wholeheartedly dem. i am also getting out of this god-forsaken town. the city council have bungled decatur and now we the citizens are paying for it. its pretty sad that the decatur celebration is now for sale to the highest bidder, it was the only good thing we had going. although i wouldnt want to be in the carnival at night... if your from here you know what i mean.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:26 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,766 posts, read 4,120,062 times
Quote:

Yes, I would definitely move to Decatur because you saw it on a map. That's always a good reason for moving to a place.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:04 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,450,632 times
Wow, these postings are so negative. I'm looking at moving to Illinois, and I saw some open teaching positions in the smalller towns outside Decatur. (Mattoon, Clinton, etc...) It looked like a decent sized city and thought I'd use it as a commuting base if I ever got any jobs in the area. But I guess I'll look more at Champaign/Urbana than Decatur.

Decatur sounds like Flint, in my home state of Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois