U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:26 PM

357 posts, read 717,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Wow, these postings are so negative. I'm looking at moving to Illinois, and I saw some open teaching positions in the smalller towns outside Decatur. (Mattoon, Clinton, etc...) It looked like a decent sized city and thought I'd use it as a commuting base if I ever got any jobs in the area. But I guess I'll look more at Champaign/Urbana than Decatur.

Decatur sounds like Flint, in my home state of Michigan.
Pretty much. It's deindustrialization, my man. When most people had jobs making stuff in the factories, all of these central IL towns were on a pretty even playing field. Then the economy totally ceased to be based on mass production and some towns adapted, and some lost. So you're right on. Decatur lost, and Flint lost, for similar reasons.

Those downstate IL towns that had something else going on or were able to transition to the knowledge economy are still largely pretty nice places. This includes the C-U, B-N and Peoria helped by U of I, ISU and State Farm, and Caterpillar, respectively.

We in Illinois are also all fortunate that Chicago made it through that transition better than almost any large Midwest industrial city.

Other posters mention these middle-class enclaves on the edges of Decatur that sound like fine places to live and raise kids. But as far as living in Decatur to take advantage of the opportunities that usually go along with a city that size, you probably won't find what you're looking for there at the present time.

BTW, I live in the C-U right now. I like it a lot. I really think you can't do too much better as far as urban and cultural amenities for an area of its size (210K). Some would say Bloomington-Normal is right up there too. A lot more has been written about Champaign-Urbana that you can find by searching the forum.

Last edited by meatpuff; 02-01-2009 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: added C-U plug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 05:35 AM

6,225 posts, read 5,394,708 times
Quote:
Originally posted by meatpuff
We in Illinois are also all fortunate that Chicago made it through that transition better than almost any large Midwest industrial city.
You are so right. I live in West Michigan, which is more prosperous, but even we are feeling the impact of Detroit's tailspin.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:43 PM

75 posts, read 139,464 times
Newspapers from cities in Illinois and everywhere for that matter can be searched for on this site, www.ecola.com

Most of the newspapers can be read online without any subscription fees. Look through the classifieds for jobs and home.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 7,303 times
I have lived in Decatur for 4 years, grew up about 45 minutes outside of Decatur, and honestly, I hated the little town, but what I would do to move back. Here you have to worry about locking your doors, making sure your safe constantly. I too lived on the far west side of town a couple years ago, and you could smell the sewers and the smell of the factories are just horrible! I currently moved to the east side of Decatur, thinking this neighborhood was quite, and I can tell you when I called the Crime Analysis Dept here, they informed me we had over 500 calls for gun shots, fights in progress, armed robberies, domestic violence and car theft just last year. So unless you like living off the state, making sure you don't leave anything unlocked and have a security system that may possibly work, and like awful smells of dying factories then sure this is the place for you! But I have lived in Normal,IL and that is a pretty busy place and short commutes to other locations for work, but unless you know someone you wont get a job/career in Decatur. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:47 PM

17 posts, read 22,754 times
No offense to the residents of decatur but the town is the armpit of IL. Damn! you can smell the pollution off the highway its so bad!

Old 05-23-2011, 08:17 AM

5,446 posts, read 6,117,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesco View Post
No offense to the residents of decatur but the town is the armpit of IL. Damn! you can smell the pollution off the highway its so bad!
Really?! Have you traveled around the state much? Been to Ford heights or East St. Louis or Cairo? Try finding a nice, upper middle class neighborhood in those towns. Decatur has several of them. As long as ADM is doing well, Decatur will not "die".

Old 05-23-2011, 12:55 PM

10,781 posts, read 14,516,391 times
Illinois is many things to many people from farming and ranching to the third largest city in America. .

Champaign is a college town fueled by the flagship university that has a general population of about 35,000 students and teachers. It has the obligatory amount of stuff that students like. Urbana is the sister city and county seat. It is located in Eastern Central Illinois.

Bloomington is a business town that is home to insurance Giants like State Farm. Physically C-U and B-N are very similar in size. They are both inland towns surrounded by farms and ranches.

Springfield is the Capitol City. It is fueled by politics. It too is inland and surrounded by corn. Logan and Sangamon counties have more tornadic activity than any other county in Central Illinois according to NOAA. Both have plenty of shopping, lakes, natural beauty, zoological parks and hospitals.

Peoria and Springfield are very similar in physical size, however Peoria has the third largest MSA in the state, the largest community on the Illinois River and it was most likely the firstt settlement in the state which dates back to the 17th century. What sets Peoria apart is not so much about the river as it is the topography. It is surrounded by tall forested cliffs, rolling hills, a 10,000 acre city park district, lot of greenery and open space even in the city. Rather than being a compact grid Peoria sprawls along the shores of the river for several miles. Likewise Peoria County sprawls along the river from the northern Fulton County border to the southern Marshall County line

I would guess that there are 30 public, private, gifted, religious and special ed elementary schools in the three cities and 7 or 8 public, private and religious high schools too. If you count the areas around Peoria there is close to another 30 if you count the private and and religious eleementary schools in Dunlap, Brimfield, Metamora, Farmington, Chilicothe, Robein, Eureka, Washington, E. Peoria, Creve Coeur, Morton, Washington, Pekin, Canton, Lewistown, Cuba, Astoria, Marquette Heghts, Mason City, Manito and Havana. There are porbably a dozen little towns around Springfield that are like the towns near Peoria: one K-8 and one 9-12

Coming from out of state you will have to meet certain critieria to qualify for tearcher certification
STATE OF ILLINOIS TEACHER CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS

Last edited by linicx; 05-23-2011 at 01:29 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 02:16 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,989,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Illinois is many things to many people from farming and ranching to the third largest city in America. .

Champaign is a college town fueled by the flagship university that has a general population of about 35,000 students and teachers. It has the obligatory amount of stuff that students like. Urbana is the sister city and county seat. It is located in Eastern Central Illinois.

Bloomington is a business town that is home to insurance Giants like State Farm. Physically C-U and B-N are very similar in size. They are both inland towns surrounded by farms and ranches.

Springfield is the Capitol City. It is fueled by politics. It too is inland and surrounded by corn. Logan and Sangamon counties have more tornadic activity than any other county in Central Illinois according to NOAA. Both have plenty of shopping, lakes, natural beauty, zoological parks and hospitals.

Peoria and Springfield are very similar in physical size, however Peoria has the third largest MSA in the state, the largest community on the Illinois River and it was most likely the firstt settlement in the state which dates back to the 17th century. What sets Peoria apart is not so much about the river as it is the topography. It is surrounded by tall forested cliffs, rolling hills, a 10,000 acre city park district, lot of greenery and open space even in the city. Rather than being a compact grid Peoria sprawls along the shores of the river for several miles. Likewise Peoria County sprawls along the river from the northern Fulton County border to the southern Marshall County line

I would guess that there are 30 public, private, gifted, religious and special ed elementary schools in the three cities and 7 or 8 public, private and religious high schools too. If you count the areas around Peoria there is close to another 30 if you count the private and and religious eleementary schools in Dunlap, Brimfield, Metamora, Farmington, Chilicothe, Robein, Eureka, Washington, E. Peoria, Creve Coeur, Morton, Washington, Pekin, Canton, Lewistown, Cuba, Astoria, Marquette Heghts, Mason City, Manito and Havana. There are porbably a dozen little towns around Springfield that are like the towns near Peoria: one K-8 and one 9-12
What do any of these things really have to do with Decatur?

Old 06-02-2011, 04:04 AM

412 posts, read 364,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
What do any of these things really have to do with Decatur?
I think linicx's point was to give examples of how other cities in Illinois have advantages that Decatur does not have, in particular the advantages that other downstate cities have that Decatur does not. It is just that linicx didn't give a conclusion to tie it together.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:15 AM

13 posts, read 13,896 times
Central Illinois simply put:

Decatur= for people who want to smell burnt soybeans 24/7.

B-N= for insurance suits.

Springfield= for gov. employees

Peoria= for Cat blue collars

CHAMPAIGN-URBANA= FOR EVERYBODY!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois