Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 06:39 PM

212 posts, read 224,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
DannFrankenstein, good to see you back. I'm born and raised Milwaukee. Today I told my coworker about this topic, because she lives in Riverwest. But she does not know of Lincoln Square, other than what I tell her. She is 100% German, and I told her she should check it out, as it is the last remnant of the most Germanic roots in Chicago, from what I've seen.... She has only gone to Chicago a few times, and prefers the area by Logan Arcade.

So our thoughts put together, Riverwest MAY be like Lincoln Square that there is some openness to the LGBT+ community as well as the BLM signs in some house windows. There are a lot of indy places, as opposed to major name stores. A lot of people you'll see strolling the streets, and some biking.

But geographically it is in between UWM land on the other side of the river to the east, and a Black and Puerto Rican side to its west. Riverwest is less safe and more gritty than Lincoln Square.

Now, when you said Lower East Side, were you thinking like a Brady Street, or a Farwell/Prospect area?

And how do you know my city?

And is it Frankenstein, or Fronkensteen? ( are you old enough to get that joke?).

Haha all ages appreciate the classic that is Young Frankenstein.

I lived in RiverWest for a month last Summer. When I said Upper East Side, I was thinking East of the River between UWM say North Ave. But I don’t know if that’s the official name for the area or not, I’m just going off what Google Maps says
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 08:33 PM

4,616 posts, read 3,164,151 times
Dr. Frankenstein, excuse me if my memory has slipped.... but do you reside in Milwaukee or Chicago? Or have you lived in both?

And can you picture downtown Libertyville? Especially around Christmas time? Can you see why I compare the 2??

Old 04-12-2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Dr. Frankenstein, excuse me if my memory has slipped.... but do you reside in Milwaukee or Chicago? Or have you lived in both?

And can you picture downtown Libertyville? Especially around Christmas time? Can you see why I compare the 2??
I have lived in both, but I only lived in Milwaukee for a month last Summer.

I never spent time in Libertyville but I’ve taken the Metra through it. So from what I saw from the train window, yes I can see it being sort of like say, Lincoln Ave between Lawrence and Wilson

Old 04-12-2022, 10:38 PM

DannFrankenstein, only 1 month, in my wonderful city????

What neighborhood are you now, in Chicago?

Old 04-13-2022, 09:00 AM

2,177 posts, read 1,806,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannFrankenstein View Post
I have lived in both, but I only lived in Milwaukee for a month last Summer.

I never spent time in Libertyville but I’ve taken the Metra through it. So from what I saw from the train window, yes I can see it being sort of like say, Lincoln Ave between Lawrence and Wilson
I might have to check that out sometime. I love that stretch.

Funny we recently bought a car in Libertyville...but it was in the super suburban looking part....we raced back to the city with said car, lol.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:18 AM

Kmanshouse, good morning,

The downtown Libertyville and downtown Lincoln Square areas always make me think of the other:

1. The amount of people walking up and down the streets even when it is freezing cold.

2. The amount of cute, independent stores and restaurants.

3. The mixture of old and new housing you see as you walk off the main beat.

4. The mixture of different ethnic places, given the predominance of a "White" population in the immediate area.

5. And something about how in winter they both line their lamp posts with lights and OH MY GOD the English word was escaping me... I was going to say, "coronas"... Christmas wreaths.

YES, check it out, and share what you think!

Old 04-13-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
DannFrankenstein, only 1 month, in my wonderful city????

What neighborhood are you now, in Chicago?
Yes, I gotta say I really enjoyed Milwaukee. I had a lot of fun exploring and drinking. But I had to go back to Illinois where I am from and stay F.I.B.

I am in the far western Chi suburbs for now. I used to live in Uptown and I’d walk or bike to Lincoln Square pretty often. I also stayed at Western and Montrose for a short time. I guess I’ll have to check out downtown Libertyville sometime soon

Old 04-13-2022, 11:05 AM

DannFrankenstein,

My co-worker here is German-American, and we were discussing the German Fest that we have at our Summer Fest grounds. And I told her she MUST go to Mai Fest in Lincoln Square this year with her husband, and that I would meet them there and say "Prost" as we drink a Stein of BIER!!!

I grew up on the north side of Milwaukee, where most of the Germans settled. So growing up I typically dated Germanic ladies; and then maaaaaaaaaaried one. :/

Well, I have my eldest child to thank for discovering Lincoln Square! And I took them there many times as they were growing up. A real blessing.

I don't really go west of the city because I don't have an I-Pass, but I know in my travels I have been to Woodstock, Crystal Lake, and Shaumburg. All great places. Just not my normal stomping grounds.

YES, take Highway 21 (Milwaukee Avenue) through Libertyville. Grab some food and drink on the porch of Casa Bonita Mexican restaurant and people watch.... And keep going north on Milwaukee Avenue until you find your self back to the CITY of Milwaukee!!

Old 04-13-2022, 02:57 PM

9,883 posts, read 5,552,531 times
The west side of Madison along the Regent Street corridor, sort of. The problem is Madison proper is governed by people every bit as crazy as those governing Chicago. But at least Wisconsin as a whole is not a one-party state so there's some brake on the crazy one-party cities' crazy excesses.

The Williamson Street corridor may be even more like Lincoln Square, but the schools on the east side of Madison aren't as good as those on the west side.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:10 PM

^^^ I agree with Madison. That didn’t occur to me.

And I also didn’t know Milwaukee Ave went all the way to Milwaukee, Master Jay. I should’ve known!

Thanks, I will check out Casa Bonita.

Also, while on the topic of German-American history, maybe the near South Side of Milwaukee is like Lincoln Square? Google Maps is telling me it’s called Harbor View ? Because we went to a bar there once for Pride and their menu had so many German beers, I thought I’d order in Deutsch und see if the bartender answered in Deutsch. And she did ! I think the place was on 2nd Street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois