Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 05:33 AM

4,138 posts, read 3,863,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
There is a forum I won't mention, where the moderator has a hammer hand for ANYTHING that isn't delightful. Talk about lack of freedom of speech. They remind me of our current government
Why go to forums like the one you won't mention and this forum that has unreal people. I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2022, 02:58 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,661,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
The bigger mystery is why you keep reading a forum about a state you used to live in, and feel compelled to post.

I lived in AZ and Iowa at various points. I have never posted on the Iowa forum and haven't even looked at the AZ forum in months/years.

But I will indulge you...if you are still here.

The Chicago area is HOME for millions and millions of people. HOME is a draw, always, even if it has problems. And there is something more intimate about Chicago than most big metro areas. There's a pride to it, an inclusivity. It's hard to explain. And for certain income levels, the stuff you mention isn't really a huge intrusion. Many of us live in very safe areas, and the tax bills are not preventing us from enjoying the amenities and being HOME.

Also, people who enjoy urban splendors can't do a lot better. If you want to live in a place where you can be left alone, they by all means, the Chicago area isn't for you. Neither would New York, Boston, LA, or many other places.

The Real People thing is so inaccurate, dude. For a big city, Chicago's people are extremely real, more friendly, more salt of the earth than what you'd find on either coast.
I've lived in a few places in Illinois, Florida and Nevada. I read the forums to keep up with what's happening in those places. I post if I have info or opinions that can help people. There are positives and negatives about everywhere I have lived.

Old 08-14-2022, 06:44 AM

4,138 posts, read 3,863,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
I've lived in a few places in Illinois, Florida and Nevada. I read the forums to keep up with what's happening in those places. I post if I have info or opinions that can help people. There are positives and negatives about everywhere I have lived.
That is great to come back and post helpful things. I don't get the ones that move away and constantly come back to the forum and bash the state. Perhaps they now feel they have an edge over others or maybe they need to do that to feel better about where they moved to.

Old 10-25-2022, 01:35 PM

299 posts, read 551,994 times
Default IL and politics

I moved to IL a couple years ago but I’m right across the river from Missouri, in Alton.

I’ve found that out here, the Republican vs Democrat percentages are fairly equal. For positions like the local sheriff, a Republican is running uncontested right now.

The biggest issues we have that I have to blame the Democrats for are the high property taxes and the push to increase low income housing options. Our current mayor seems to have low income housing as a big focus since he comes from a background of taking an interest in the topic.

The property taxes aren’t huge in Alton, if you compare them to St. Louis, MO or whatnot. But most of these homes are smaller starter type properties that often need a lot of repair. The taxes don’t correspond well with what people actually own.

I can’t stand Pritzker but I’m confident that jackass will get re-elected anyway. I voted for the libertarian candidate as a protest vote, myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The divide between Republicans living in suburban Chicago and those living downstate is profound and cannot be understated. Wedge issues are particularly divisive within the Illinois Republican electorate. Unfortunately, the grip that the much more moderate Chicagoans had on the Illinois GOP seems to have slipped. The Illinois GOP slate in 2022 has to be the weakest in the party's history. Most of the candidates, Darren Bailey in particular, are ridiculously out of step with the more moderate voters Republicans need to court to win statewide. Republicans are actually typically pretty competitive in Illinois in midterm elections. However, I think that they will face a well-deserved drubbing this year.

Old 11-05-2022, 09:47 PM

42 posts, read 128,523 times
Some good points and inaccurate points in most of these posts. But it's amazing how much people don't know about this state or make assumptions based on Chicago rather than the rest of the state. Most of the folks who come here to bash Illinois have left from the far Northeast corner of the state and never crossed I-39 or I-80. We call them the flat state people. Like the flat earthers, if you drive past either of these roads you fall off the edge of the state. But I digress.

To the OP...... have you looked at either the Rockford area or the Quad Cities area? Both with large populations and junior colleges. Very diverse and more of a bluish shade of purple than truly blue or red. I'm lucky enough to live between the two and love it here, but for gig work it would be tough to make a true living. With your budget and work situation, I would look closer at the QC area but not count out Rockford. Many smaller communities close enough (10-15 minutes) to be affordable, but close enough to commute everyday. Both are urban "blue islands" surrounded by small red leaning rural communities, but not so polarized as to be confrontational or violent. The west side of Rockford has a higher crime rate but most of the other areas are ok. $800/month might be a stretch, but I have never rented there so take that with a grain of salt. The QC area will have more opportunities, a bigger population, and housing that will probably fit your budget better. More people does equal more crime, but it is only certain areas and not the whole of the QC in general. If you are serious about Illinois check both of these out.

Old 02-10-2023, 08:26 PM

524 posts, read 704,922 times
Any comments about Jacksonville, IL? It seems to be a nice affordable small college town with a lake outside Springfield.

I have been trying to move back closer to my hometown (St. Louis) but jobs in MO pay very low. I recently applied for a good high pay job in Jacksonville. I hope I get the job.

MO has leaned more conservative over the last few years. I happen to be a liberal white male with a husband and two Pugs. However, I don't really discuss politics with other people. We plan on renting for one year in order to get a feeling of area before buying a house in Jacksonville, Chatham, or Springfield.

Old 02-11-2023, 04:11 PM

26,798 posts, read 43,267,473 times
To the OP and post prior. I have been researching the bejeezus out of cities/towns with low rents and some form of progressive population in the Midwest. Champaign-Urbana is about it along with Bloomington-Normal or Peoria in Illinois. Ohio has some good options as well with Cleveland, Akron, Dayton, Toledo and Bowling Green as some options. Also in Iowa surprisingly with Iowa City-Coralville and Cedar Rapids.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:31 AM

4,671 posts, read 7,338,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
Any comments about Jacksonville, IL? It seems to be a nice affordable small college town with a lake outside Springfield.

I have been trying to move back closer to my hometown (St. Louis) but jobs in MO pay very low. I recently applied for a good high pay job in Jacksonville. I hope I get the job.

MO has leaned more conservative over the last few years. I happen to be a liberal white male with a husband and two Pugs. However, I don't really discuss politics with other people. We plan on renting for one year in order to get a feeling of area before buying a house in Jacksonville, Chatham, or Springfield.
You'll probably want to be closer to Springfield, as there's not a whole lot to Jacksonville. Plus, in Springfield it's a straight shot to STL on 55 or on Amtrak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois