U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 12:45 AM

20 posts, read 124,553 times

Advertisements

Look into Oak Park or Evanston. Those are by far the best suburbs in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2006, 06:39 AM

13 posts, read 89,417 times
Towns like O'fallon, Mascoutah, Shiloh, Highland are all nice and safe, have good schools and decent home prices. I am presently looker further south because I like the smaller towns like Red Bud, Sparta, Pickneyville. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:56 PM

9 posts, read 60,991 times
Try Sangamon County (ie Springfield, Chatham, New Berlin, Loami, Pleasant Plains, etc)

With an exception of District 186 schools (really bad schools!), all other school districts are pretty darn good!

Pretty reasonable housing costs. Not too hyper crowd, not too lazy crowd.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:34 PM

21 posts, read 35,976 times
Bologna! the farther west you go the cheaper it is once yo get past Aurora which is cheap itself.

Nothin on the Northside is affordable
If you like the Northside properly known as the "North Shore" (Evanston, Skokie, Lincolnwood, Glenview, Wilmette, Kenilworth-my hometown, Northfield, Winnetka, Northbrook, Glencoe, Bannockburn, Highland Park, Lake Forest, Highwood, Lake Bluff, Waukegan, and Southern Wisconsin after that.

i know I live in Kenilworth avg home price:1.5 Million.

Try South Holland, Palos area, Riverside, and Schaumburg.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:36 PM

21 posts, read 35,976 times
O'Fallon, and Shiloh are in St. Louis Mr.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:08 PM

8 posts, read 50,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
Look into Oak Park or Evanston. Those are by far the best suburbs in Chicago.
For $200K or less, you can get yourself a nice cardboard box under the freeway in those towns.

Think more like $350K, for what will be a STARTER home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkb
I've heard to look at Evanston, Wilmette, Oak Park, Park Ridge, Elmhurst and the further west you go from Chicago the more expensive it is.
You have champagne taste on a Budweiser budget.

Schaumburg is a nice community, but $200K won't but you a whole there, either.

Maybe Homewood? Prices are rising there, too, but the schools and park district are good, and transportation into the city is excellent. Diverse too. High taxes, tho.

Much depends on where you'll be working. Commuting from suburb to suburb can be a nightmare, and some commutes from suburbs into the city can be just as bad.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:14 PM

20 posts, read 124,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnew View Post
Towns like O'fallon, Mascoutah, Shiloh, Highland are all nice and safe, have good schools and decent home prices. I am presently looker further south because I like the smaller towns like Red Bud, Sparta, Pickneyville. Good luck.
Swansea, Glen Carbon, and places like that are much like the cities you listed above.

O'Fallon is a military town, so many of those who live there are from all over the country, and well traveled.

Belleville , Edwardsville (College Town), and Glen Carbon are also very nice, if you're looking into staying in the STL area. Homes are way cheaper also.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:32 PM

2,219 posts, read 5,229,023 times
A housing budget of less than 200k won't really work in Chicagoland. And before you start looking for a home, you need to know where you're going to work. The major employment centers are downtown, Oak Brook, Schaumburg, and Northbrook. The south suburbs will have the most options for housing, but really no jobs. Down there, forget about commuting to work in the suburbs. Even Oak Brook will be 1 hr. minimum on a really good day. If at all possible, try to get a job downtown so you can take the train (Metra). Homewood would probably be your best choice. Not only is it a really nice, quaint town, but it's one of the only decent places to live in Chicago where you can find a home in your price range. There's a metra station, and plenty of shopping and dining. All the big box stores are on the edge of town, along Halsted.

Way out in the cornfields, Shorewood, Minooka and Manhattan, west and south of Joliet, there are townhomes starting as low as the mid 100's. Traffic is horrible, though. For the most part, the old two lane farm roads were never upgraded for the new development. Except for Manhattan, it's also a long drive just to get to a train station. Forget about driving to work. It will be at least 1 hr. just to get to southern DuPage County, then you still need to keep going to get to Oak Brook or Downtown. Chicago is a wonderful city in many ways, but the problem in finding decent, affordable housing in the past few years is one reason I'm seriously thinking of relocating. It's still a bargain compared to the west coast and the northeast, but it's just gotten ridiculous for the midwest.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:25 PM

196 posts, read 874,771 times
I hope to be doing the reverse in the next few years. Leaving Illinois for STL.
Warmer...friendlier...and my best bud live there.
Good. luck!
10 degrees does make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or