Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
You know, in the spirit of public safety and all, I applaud you for bringing attention to this. Here in murka, cars kill way more people each year than guns do, like way way more. We need an assault vehicle ban, or at least restrict the number of passengers they carry.

Unfortunately, this fact is no longer true for those under the age of 21. Thus, if we extrapolate this data out every decade we move forward the age limit will most likely increase. Especially as most cars built today have way more safety features than 2010 or 2015. My Subaru 2020 Outback practically drives itself and will work as hard as it can to prevent me hitting anything travelling either forward or in reverse. It even caught a person stopped on a 6 lane road (3 in each direction) stopped ahead of me in my travel lane and started braking a split second before I did because it knew that vehicle wasn't moving while I was trying to figure out what was wrong and why I was catching up to that car so quickly as there were no brake lights on that vehicle (older clunker so the person probably couldn't afford to get them fixed). Luckily the person behind me had enough distance to swerve out of the way as I came to a stop. Pretty soon with self-driving vehicles (cars and trucks) vehicle accidents should be greatly reduced by a significant factor. I rented a late model Hyundia in Jersey City last week and it too had all the same safety features including alerting to dangerous lane change if another vehicle was in the blind spot.

TL;DR; Technology in vehicles both cars and trucks will improve safety and reduce collisions, accidents and deaths by significantly large deltas in the very near future.

The google search.
[url]https://www.google.com/search?q=leading+cause+of+death+under+21+usa+guns[/url]

[url]https://www.kff.org/health-reform/press-release/firearms-are-the-leading-cause-of-death-for-children-in-the-united-states-but-rank-no-higher-than-fifth-in-other-industrialized-nations/[/url]

[url]https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/12/14/magazine/gun-violence-children-data-statistics.html[/url]

[url]https://www.statesman.com/story/news/politics/politifact/2022/06/07/fact-check-firearms-leading-cause-death-children/7529783001/[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2023, 08:00 PM

219 posts, read 130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
You know, in the spirit of public safety and all, I applaud you for bringing attention to this. Here in murka, cars kill way more people each year than guns do, like way way more. We need an assault vehicle ban, or at least restrict the number of passengers they carry.
Not anymore. Also if you factor how often people use vehicles vs firearms the ratio for cars is a fraction of gun deaths.

Old 04-24-2023, 10:55 AM

712 posts, read 463,569 times
Actually u guys are right and I stand corrected. Per Wiki 42.9k automobile fatalities in 2021, per CDC 48.8k firearm fatalities that same year. Hmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois