U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 04:29 AM

36 posts, read 109,537 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Peoria from California, and wonder what area or city to consider. Can anyone recommend an area in Peoria or a city nearby with good schools, safe, shopping, good parks, movies, quality dining... While i like the city feel, living in the suburbs close to these amenities is also great... I've been reading about Dunlap having great schools, as well as Germantown hills...
In case you wonder why we would leave Ca (I get this a lot), besides a new job, I am looking forward to a reasonable cost of living & less traffic
Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 01:24 PM

23 posts, read 117,773 times
I would say you should first look into NW and Northern Peoria. The Dunlap school disctrict is exceptional - better than the suburbs. Any home in Richwoods High School (Disrict 150) district is good also. The new homes are quite nice and very convenient to everything including downtwon via interstate. Prices can range from $300K to over $1M - spme with your own private golf courses (Augusta Estates) . Some of the more established areas of the city are very nice as well depending on what you like. Grandview Drive was called the World's Most Beautiful Drive by Teddy Roosevelt and the home are very historic with panoramic views of Peoria Lake (Illinois River). Many of your best homes have river views which can only be found in Peoria (Prospect Road, Grandview, High Point, Edgewild, and several other roads ie Frye, Picture Ridge, Timber Ridge, Skyline, etc) , Peoria Heights(suburb), and East Peoria (suburb). NW homes do not have the view as well as most of the suburbs. My parents live in Pekin - I would avoid that - too far from Peoria. I grew up near Moss Avenue - Historic district. Beautiful homes built by the distillers more than 100 years ago. School district not great but if you like urban and historic homes - a great place. Keep in mind if schools are important Peoria has several outstanding private school options. I went to private schools there. If you want more cookie cutter suburban life - then Morton, Washington, Germantown Hills and parts of east Peoria will fit the bill.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:33 PM

I reread your message again and if shopping and dining are important to you as well as schools, then Dunlap area (which is mostly in the city limits - NW and North Peoria as I mentioned above)will be your best bet. The suburbs are mostly across the river in Tazewell and Woodford Counties and they lack fine dining and shopping. Fine dining can be found in downtown Peoria, Peoria Heights, and the northern and NW sections of the city. You must try Jills on Galena or some of the fine dinign in downtown Peoria Heights The larger shopping malls - Grand Prairie (more upscale - anchors are Bergners, Borders, Dicks, with many upscale shops) and Northwoods (typical mall selection anchored by Macys Sears, and JC Penney are in the NW side of the city. Somewhat of a haul from the eastern burbs. Also Junction City and Metro Centre in mid - north sections of the city are also upscale. Only basic shopping can be found in the burbs(groceries, etc). Some cute shopping in Washington but only a few stores in the square more in the line of a small local shops. Also nightlife, can mainly be found in Downtown Peoria or the city itself - little entertainment options in the suburbs.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:53 PM

Also, check out the following websites www.discoverpeoria.com (broken link) and www.peoria.org. You'll find alot of information there. Also check wikipedia under Peoria - alot of information there as well. I wish you the best in Peoria. I think you will love it. I hope to return there soon myself. Moderator cut: realtor advertising

Last edited by Marka; 01-09-2007 at 09:04 AM..

Old 01-08-2007, 06:50 PM

105 posts, read 14,963 times
Dunlap! Dunlap! Dunlap! This once small, farming town, is now one of the best places to live in the state. Schools are secound to none. Right next to several shopping centers. New homes, and it seems that in some parts everyone either has a pool, or tennis court in their back yards. One subdivision hugs the Rock Island trail making for easy access to the outdoors whether for a nice evening walk, or wekk end bike ride. Clean yards and lots of community interaction. Corn fields are still everywhere making for a nice central Illinois feeling. Friendly neighbors and lots of green space. Short commutes and you will feel like you are the only one on the road. Hope you enjoy this small central Illinois town as much as I do.

Germantown Hills is mostly houses. Very similar to Dunlap, without being so close to everything. It hugs the Illinois River making for some great views. Big homes and big homes prices, but in the end is well worth it. While their students go to neighboring Metamora, that still ranks up their in many ways with Dunlap. Feels like you are in the forest and then are presently suprised to find one of the biggest cities in illinois right next door.

Best of luck!

Old 01-19-2007, 03:54 AM

Wink thanks.

thanks for the info... I was told not much is 'in' the city of dunlap (shopping, dining?)
right now i am thinking peoria.... N, NW area...

Old 01-19-2007, 11:03 AM

105 posts, read 14,963 times
True. While Dunlap is developing, it still has that small town '50s quality to it, as do most towns in the area. When people say that Dunlap is growing, they are really saying that the whole Northern Peoria corridor is. But even though Dunlap doesn't have that much to do inside of it, Peoria is just mins away, and I think that it is nice that a great town like Dunlap can hold it's own against the suburbs of Chicago. The feeling of kids riding on their bikes, mothers out swinging there kids, and locals helping each other fix their cars, are things that the burbs can't offer, but you get the same commercial opportunities in terms of Chicagoland. The two others you mentioned are good two. Make sure of school districts and try to get into the Richwoods(Peoria) or the Dunlap, which is top ranked in Illinois.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:40 PM

Just to clarify. when most people in the area refer to Dunlap they are really referring to the school district as opposed to the town. Most people in Peoria do not even know where the actual twon is, because there is nothing there. Less than 1000 people live there, although I believe some development is now occurring in the town. Most of "Dunlap Area" is either in the city of Peoria - NW and N -or bordering the city. In fact some developments have Dunlap addresses but actually reside in the city limits, whereas some addresses have Peoria addresses, in the city but in Dunlap school district. Can be a bit confusing. Peoria has actually three school districts in its city limits - District 150 (all urban), Dunlap (more suburban) and Limestone (suburban). All the entertainment options are in the city of Peoria.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:18 AM

thanks all for the info... i am looking forward to the house hunting trip... just hope its not too cold.... i will look both in peoria & dunlap, and will check oout germantown hills.
calistro

Old 12-02-2007, 09:39 AM

3 posts, read 17,428 times
Red face peoria living

Quote:
Originally Posted by calistro View Post
We are moving to Peoria from California, and wonder what area or city to consider. Can anyone recommend an area in Peoria or a city nearby with good schools, safe, shopping, good parks, movies, quality dining... While i like the city feel, living in the suburbs close to these amenities is also great... I've been reading about Dunlap having great schools, as well as Germantown hills...
In case you wonder why we would leave Ca (I get this a lot), besides a new job, I am looking forward to a reasonable cost of living & less traffic
Thanks in advance...
hi after relocating ourselves, Dunlap schools are good but over crowded. There is no way for your children to walk to school, they will be bussed or drove.The same for Germantown Hills. We bought there ,then sold. there are no sidewalks, it is not kid friendly. There schools are over populated and they have to share a high school with Metamora. Being a teacher, we found Roanoke to be a great town. It has a wonderful park,2 pools,freesby golf, jogging path,playgrounds etc. Children can walk to a downtown. The fire department had a great demenstration for the children this summer for the children. The downtown has bowling,computers,restraurants, library, flower shop, pharmacy, etc. There are 2 different docvtor offices in town. Both doctor are great. It is hard to choose one.The school is great! They can walk to school, except for the middle school. It is 6minutes away. The town is so nice, many churches. Dunlap doesnt have a downtown,nor Germantown Hills. Germantown Hills has a very small library also. This is a very safe town.contact Vicky at Lamplight Realty in Roanoke to check out the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois