Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 12:12 PM
tvt tvt started this thread

15 posts, read 38,999 times

Advertisements

hello - i am moving to rockford due to accepting a new job. i've heard mostly not so good things about the city proper, but am also excited about what i will be able to buy for my money i'm looking forward to my new job, but am going to miss my current home, Forest Park, IL. i love the diversity and quirky, yet quite safe neighbourhoods. can ANYONE offer any advice on an area in rockford, or surrounding city, where i can purchase for around $100,000, give or take, and get some assemblence of the lifestyle i had in Forest Park???

thanks in advance for ANY HELP anyone can offer!

tvt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2006, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 14,281 times
Default Moving to Rockford

Hi-I am moving from Rockford and thinking about the Bensenville area. Rockford is a nice quiet area, however, public transportation is not good so you will definitely need a car. If you are thinking about buying a home, look for a home on the East side of town or look in the Loves Park, Rockton and Roscoe areas for a home. These areas are quite nice and are growing.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:34 PM

5 posts, read 67,245 times
Default Just Moved To The Area

I Just Moved To The Area Myself About Year Ago. I Had Lived In Schaumurg, Naperville Area Most Of My Life And I Will Tell You It Is An Adjustment.

I Was Not Please With The Rockford Area. I Am Living In Genoa. It Is A Middle Of Nowhere Town, But Quiet And Cheaper. If You Still Plan On Getting Back Towards The City And Not Moving To Far To The Middle Of Nowhere I Would Recommend Anything From Belvidere To Huntley. That Puts You Right On 90 So You Are Only 10-30 Minutes From Rockford (depending What Part Of Town) And Easy Access To Get Back East.

Old 07-22-2006, 09:55 PM

74 posts, read 291,395 times
Default Once Lived There

I used to live there many years ago. Seemed to me that the better areas where East. Loves Park, Riverside?, Machesney Park, and the East Alpine area.

Good Luck

Old 08-16-2006, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 14,272 times
I have lived in Rockford all my 48 years and I wouldn't recommend for anyone to move here. This town has turned into a "little Chicago". Our elected officials and police dept. choose to sugarcoat the happenings in this town. The hoodlums pretty much run the town. Sure, I live on the NW side and not the east side, but believe me, the problems are moving to that side of town FAST!! If you want to live around here, I would consider Roscoe, Rockton, or Durand. Small and safer communities with good schools. Good Luck!!

Old 09-04-2006, 01:56 AM

16 posts, read 117,333 times
My husband and I just moved to Machesney Park and we LOVE our neighborhood. Very quiet, kids running around, very homey. I don't suggest living in Rockford (did that, didn't like it). Loves Park is good as well, just make sure you get the right area. Not that it is crime ridden or anything, just that some parts are a little more junky than others. But there are good houses out there for that price. good luck!!

Old 09-08-2006, 12:59 PM

196 posts, read 969,550 times
Default Rockford

Forest Park is not much different than Rockford., just better transporatation & buses. Also never heard of the flooding that Rockford has. (don't get a basement or live downhill)
I grew up near Forest Park, Berwyn actually and moved to the Rockford area about 6 years ago. It has been nothing but a disappointment. I moved for my job too... however no one on Rockford welcomes new people...luckily I do live further North so Roscoe and Rockton are awesome to me compared to Rockford. The people here move very slow, cannot make decesions and the politics are a three ring circus.

Hopefully your job is not political....or maybe you can just rent. Machesny and Loves Park are great for value and both aeas growing.
No matter what you will find more house for your money here... just hope
it was not built by Petry.

Other than that, if your alone with no kids, that helps too. Lots of troubled teens here.

Good Luck!

Old 12-04-2006, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 16,783 times
Default Move Outside of Town

I was born and have lived most of my life here. I know you can't blame all problems on one thing but I'll hang alot of responsibility on the Rockford Police Dept. They have the WORST police tactics which the leadership at high levels must sanction or it would not happen. I've had problems which I've brought to them and the treatment has been very very shabby. There simply IS not good and adequate protection for city residents. The officers I've been forced to deal with seem to take the easy way out constantly and at least to me lack the polish and manners to be dealing with the average person. It seems to me that the police give up on neighborhoods and then they slide.... I call it laziness... I'm not sure what other factors enter in... job dissatisfaction? lack of or the wrong kind of leadership? Lack of proper training? Poor hiring practices? all of the above maybe.
At any rate, and with great sadness I'd recommend buying property north or east of the city as that is wher the growth is heading. Predicting what areas here in town will be allowed to go downhill next would be difficult to judge for an outsider coming in. Most residents can tell if they know neighborhoods....

Old 12-09-2006, 07:47 PM

196 posts, read 969,550 times
I am very familuar with both areas..in fact I was just in Forest Park this weekend. Tried to get a Parky's hot dog and it was gone!
I missed it...grew up in Berwyn, across the street from Forest Park. Rockford is not that far of a difference in many ways. However, No great transit system, no el to the City and persnally the drivers to me are usually more polite than your area. However...government there is a joke and a few planning disasters. Rockford has some awesome homes and yes they give you more for your money! Taxes are high to me, but not bad coming from where you are. Congrats on your new job. Rockford areas to me are better for newer homes and cheaper taxes, also better schools. I chose Roscoe, mostly because values were increasing, but further north and closer to Wisconsin and homes more spread out.
Good Luck to you and welcome. If you need anything...or information let me know...I have been here for 7 years and the peole here are not as friendly as the Forest Park area. (my opinion) they don't welcome newcomers like they should. Dumb if ya ask me. oh..more bad news...people move alot slower here and the food options here are not as good. At least to me the pizza is tough to find...Leno's in Rockford is awesome. Good beefs and dogs hard to find here.
Lots of chains though...

Old 10-01-2007, 11:00 AM

5 posts, read 25,783 times
Cavewoman,

How is the difference between Machesney Park and Roscoe. Roscoe is a little farther then I wanted to go, Machesney Park was the fartherst i wanted to go since it is close to 90 access at 173. Any info would be great.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois