Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 12:49 PM

32 posts, read 118,508 times

Advertisements

Recently a candidate in our County opened a new web site for the Office in which he was running for. He used the County Office name in his web site name as well as a picture of the Court House and information about the Office. Some of which was wrong. This Office is now receiving phone calls about the information posted. The candidate started this web site because he was not in favor of the current office holders web site. Isn't there something wrong with this? Seems as if he may have broken some laws or regulations. Any help?

Last edited by GivMeABreak; 06-26-2008 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: add word to title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 01:20 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
As long as the picture isn't copyrighted, I can't see as how he did anything illegal.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:58 PM

32 posts, read 118,508 times
Fraud, possibly. He's playing himself off as if he is already our County Recorder. It's exactly the title of the website. And, he is using the County's name in his domain name. KankakeeCountyRecorder.com

I really don't know if he is doing anything wrong, but I believe that if I started a website, called myself the pres. of the U. S. A. and use the domain name UnitedStatesofAmericaPresident.com, that people would have a problem with it.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:24 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I think the fact that on the very top of the page it clearly states " NOT AN OFFICIAL GOVERNMENT WEBSITE" puts them in the clear for any fraudulent activity.

Honestly, I was looking at it, and it seems like a pretty good idea. It's like "Hey, the real Web site is terrible, so if you elect me I will revamp the Web site so that you can actually use it for the things you need."

Seems like good smart politics to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois