U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 07:37 AM

7 posts, read 22,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you just want to live someplace that is cute and quiet I'd suggest Burlington IA, which is probably a little more than half as far, though honestly the drive is not an easy commute.
Thank you! However, looking into it, it does seem that the Burlington - Macomb commute would be only about 30 mins less, than the commute to QC (Moline, Milan)... And honestly I would prefer a rather less quiet place... But good suggestion, thanks again!

Last edited by etme; 06-24-2008 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: own post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 07:49 AM

4,182 posts, read 3,951,186 times
How about Quincy? There is Amtrak service between Quincy and Macomb. The highway is also being widened (336), and the Macomb end of it will be finished in late 2008 or 2009.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:09 PM

21,779 posts, read 37,381,382 times
Quincy is better than Macomb in what way?

Old 06-24-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Quincy is better than Macomb in what way?
Who says Quincy is better than Macomb?

Old 06-26-2008, 02:32 PM

7 posts, read 22,405 times
They have lots of different downtown festivals and activities going on throughout the year. The Art in the Park, various car shows, Scarecrow festival, railroad days (which is this weekend), big bang boom (large fireworks for the 4th of July), large park (Lake Storey Park) with large lake for swimming, tanning, picnic, etc., chocolate festival in February (yumm!!), lots of historic data (Lincoln/Douglas debate site at Knox College). I don't know if you have kids, but they have a lot of kids activities as well and the city is always coming up with something new. Also, if there's nothing going on a particular weekend, you are directly in-between the quad cities and peoria so you are within TONS of activities in a 50 mile radius. If you were in the quad cities you'd have to drive really far to make it to Peoria. In all honesty, I feel the activities in Peoria are much better than they are in the quad cities as we've frequented both locations many times.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:09 PM

7 posts, read 22,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskaden View Post
They have lots of different downtown festivals and activities going on throughout the year.
Thank you! Good to learn more about Galesburg, and there is Amtrak connection between Galesburg and Macomb, which would allow me to do some work, rather than waste time at the wheel. I continue to scratch my head, and any additional suggestions would be welcome. Btw, which area of Galesburg would you recommend (I understand the North part is better)?

Old 06-29-2008, 02:03 AM

36,647 posts, read 58,079,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Who says Quincy is better than Macomb?
Why even suggest it as an alternative to Macomb if you're not going to even bother explaining why it's a better alternative to Macomb? Did you even read the original post and the criteria laid out within? How does Quincy even come close?

Old 06-29-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Why even suggest it as an alternative to Macomb if you're not going to even bother explaining why it's a better alternative to Macomb? Did you even read the original post and the criteria laid out within? How does Quincy even come close?
The OP wanted a city close to Macomb with Amtrak connection and a plethora of entertainment possibilities. Quincy does have Amtrak connection, and its being a larger city meets the critieria of having more of these entertainment possibilities, quantitatively speaking. Now whether that would count as being "better" than Macomb, that's for the OP to decide. I suggest you read the original post.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:24 PM

36,647 posts, read 58,079,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
The OP wanted a city close to Macomb with Amtrak connection and a plethora of entertainment possibilities. Quincy does have Amtrak connection, and its being a larger city meets the critieria of having more of these entertainment possibilities, quantitatively speaking. Now whether that would count as being "better" than Macomb, that's for the OP to decide. I suggest you read the original post.
I did read the original post, thanks. And the explanations for why Quincy would be a better alternative in this post are actually kind of helpful. So, cool.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:57 PM

2,481 posts, read 8,828,403 times
As a native Quincian, I can speak to the difference between the two (I have family in Macomb). Quincy does have more entertainment possibilities, but it's not the most happening place (definitely not a "plethora" of possibilites). There is more culture in terms of music and performing arts, and there are a lot of historical buildings that give Quincy a good feel. I was just there this weekened and there was a Midsummer Arts Faire going on. They have a lot of festivals throughout the spring-fall. As for restaurants, they are better than Macomb; however, after my 2nd day in a row in Quincy this weekend my mom and I couldn't figure out where to eat dinner..... (there are places, but we half being picky and half couldn't think of anything good that we hadn't eaten.....) The drive between the two is about 1.5 hours and there is daily amtrak service that leaves Quincy at about 6am, but wouldn't return (arrive in Quincy) until after 10pm. So, you'd basically be on the train at 6am and would get back to Quincy at 10pm daily. On a daily basis, I also wouldn't really want to make that drive (much of it is 2 lane and the roads get nasty in the winter). If you are working in Macomb, you may just have to suck it up and live there (or within 30 minutes) and just commute out on the weekends. Macomb also has direct Amtrak service to Chicago if you need to escape!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois