U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:10 PM

5 posts, read 13,154 times

Advertisements

Fairfield is a very small rural town. I've grown up in Wayne County and the entire county is pretty much all the same. The schools in Fairfield are quite good for such a small community. They balance education well with athletics. The high school offers several athletic options for the kids and in my opinion play a big role in the community spirit that is Fairfield. It is difficult when first moving here to find a place to fit in with the current residents. But if your active in the community and like to participate in community events it isn't hard to make friends and get to know people.

Jobs are another story altogether. With the current economy the job market in Wayne County has been hit hard. Several of the local plants have laid off a substantial portion of their work force. Finding a good paying job with benefits may be difficult.

There is some marked amount of crime in the area. We do have a huge drug problem. Other than the drug issues most of the other crime is theft related, usually as a result of the drug problem. I do not have a problem walking in town after dark and routinely run at night. Being a small woman, I have never been afraid to do this. And we often walk to and from football games which is across town from where we live. I've never had any problems.

Basically it is your typical midwestern small town. There really isn't a lot to do. But it isn't an awful place to live either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 01:13 AM

4 posts, read 5,909 times
My family and I are wanting to relocate to Fairfield, Illinois. We are orginally from central Illinois but for the past year have lived in Kentucky. Even tho Kentucky is very beautiful, we want to move back home yet still have small town living. Could anyone please tell us about Fairfield, what the local news paper is, what are the schools like? what kind of Jobs do they have around in the medical field for myself. We are hoping to be moved in the next few months anything you could tell us would be greatful.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:44 PM

14 posts, read 18,760 times
Default Ohhh my run!

Lived in Fairfield for 18 months. Thank God We got out! Some very nice people, but over all not a welcoming town at all! Would not want to raise my girls there!

Old 02-15-2012, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 504 times
i was wanting to know what the name of the new factory in fairfield is called

Old 02-15-2012, 11:51 PM

10,856 posts, read 15,218,880 times
WARNING: This thread is more than FIVE YEARS OLD!.

Age does not change the fact that Illinois is a agriculture state and southern Illlinois is a generally poor area of the state.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 477 times
Well I guess yoi sre here now LOL !

Old 09-27-2013, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 477 times
If you think Fairfield is bad try Flora.....its nothing but a click.....it must be the wster...or inbreeding for over 200 years...

Old 10-01-2013, 10:43 AM

10,856 posts, read 15,218,880 times
I don't think you have much experience with moving into small rural town. Initially, they are all clique-ish to some degree. It is what it is.......

Rural America: Most often a physically small place, with a small population that shares the same interests.

Small town rural America is very often conservative, republican, Christian, and initially territorial and not terribly accepting of strangers. It never has been; it never will be. If you do not have children in school, attend church locally, do not belong to a local organization, and do not support local business, it takes much longer to be assimilated. And in some towns the never happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redred7 View Post
If you think Fairfield is bad try Flora.....its nothing but a click.....it must be the water...or inbreeding for over 200 years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois