Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 6,169 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving to Galesburg in the near future. We live about 50 miles south of Rockford, IL in a small town (7000) and want to move closer to our two grandkids who live west of Peoria. Both of us are retired and want a larger town but not over 100,000. In Galesburg we would be about 20 minutes from the G'kids vs 1.5 hours now. Have lots of info published about G'burg but are searching for some unbiased/unpublished opinions or suggestions. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 09:29 PM

16 posts, read 46,294 times
specific questions??

Old 07-27-2008, 11:55 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
It seems to me that Galesburg is futher than 20 minutes. Brimfield and Farmington are closer and they are both pretty nice towns, but I don't know how much information you can find. Farminton is due west on IL 116. Brimfield is NW on
US 150. It is much closer to the major retailers, parks, museum, live theater, hospital etc., in Peoira than Farmington or Galesburg.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:18 PM
San

54 posts, read 430,319 times
Before moving out of state, we lived in the country about 20 minutes from Galesburg. My sister and her husband work in Galesburg at the newspaper and they lived there for many years. I have always liked Galesburg. Since it was an early railroad town and a stop on the underground railroad, Galesburg has always been a rather pieceful melting pot. At one time there was an international research laboratory there also. It isn't too big and yet it has about everything you could want. There is a mall, a Super Wal-Mart, a great number of grocerie stores. It has just acquired a new large Menards, and there are all sorts of restaurants from upper class to McDonalds. There are a number of parks with lakes and without, and golf courses and if you wish to go that route a country club. The neighborhoods are varied, you should be able to find anything you want from lower income to mansions. There is also a city bus service through out town if you don't wish to drive. Every town has it's pluses and minuses, but all in all Galesburg is a nice midsize town. There are a number of nursing homes and care facilities as well as two up to the minute hospitals. There are plenty of doctors, dentists and professional people of all sorts. Some of the bigger employing factories etc. have moved out of town but if you aren't seeking employment in manufacturing, that shouldn't be a problem for you. There are many lovely homes available in quiet nice neighborhoods last time I was there.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:25 PM

5 posts, read 25,707 times
We moved to Galesburg 8 years ago from Chicago. We are retired and have met quite a few people who have moved here from Chicago. We have been enjoying this area. There is entertainment from a movie theater, 2 colleges that have all kinds of music/play events, Opheum theater, a great symphany.

We think it is a great location because it is small enough that you can get to know people, but convenient to the highway and 2 large shopping areas are 40-45 minutes away (Peoria and Quad Cities).

The housing is less expensive than other areas. We didn't experience the large housing increase so don't see a large portion of foreclosures that are seen in some areas.

The downside to this area, I would say, is employment. Unless you were going to get a job in the college arena or medical field, it seems like all the open job openings that come up are part time work, minimum wage.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,300 times
I am a married black woman with 4 children. I'am thinking about moving from chicago to galesburg to further my education. Would galesburg be a great enviroment for a black family or will I be mistreated because of my skin color. I'm scared for my children because the might not fit in. please help me make up my mind.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:57 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
Let me give a comparison of other college towns in Central Illinois

Galesburg 86% white and 10% black. Population 33,000+

Peoria 68% white and 25% black Population 100,000+

Moline 88% white 3% black Population 44,000

Normal IL 88% white 7% black Population 45,000

Springfield 81% white 15% black Population 114,000

Champaign 67% white 16% black Population 81,000

Decatur 78% White 19% black Population 76,000

Champaign and Normal have the largest student populations at 35K and 22K .Peoria, Springfield, and Decatur have zoological parks in their respective cities. Peoria and Springfield both have a large variety and number of parks. Peoria Park District is the oldest and largest in Illinois.

There are 6 malls spread between Galesburg and Springfield and probably nearing 1000 restaurants between them too. Champaign and Decatur each have a mall, too

Peoria, Normal, Springfield and Champaign have Botanical Gardens. There are many theatre in Central Illinois for Performing Arts, however it looks like Peoria and Normal have the only outdoor theaters. Peoria theatre is under the tent in Bradley Park; it's the fourth oldest in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois