U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 07:30 PM

2,153 posts, read 4,901,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey74 View Post
Carlyle is the largest man made lake in Illinois.
Thank you. That is what I meant in my original post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,830 times
As with any place you could live, Centralia has its good parts and bad parts. I spoke with a major employer yesterday and he actually said they are having a difficult time finding welders. There are jobs here. Not as many as there were in the past but the city is showing signs of rebuilding itself.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:26 PM

146 posts, read 953,529 times
Why don't you call Kaskaskia College (618-545-3000) and ask for the Welding Program Instructor and make an appointment to talk with him. I am sure he could give you more information on the actual possibilities of welding jobs in the area. If you are willing to drive for work and live in Centralia, that may be a possibility but I wouldn't count on lots of jobs actually in the city. It may be "rebuilding" but with everything against the economy (high utility rates, high cost of gasoline), it will be a long difficult and uphill road. We tried to stick it out and stay there as my family is there for generations back but after months of looking for jobs, finally gave up and went looking out of state. My husband found a great job in Wisconsin so here we are.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 8,918 times
I can give you a somewhat unique perspective. My wife and I are both from Centralia. I graduated from CHS in 1984. Like you, I didn't feel my education was lacking. After KC and SIU Carbondale, we moved away and were gone for about 20 years. A year and a half ago, we moved back to Centralia.

Why? People have asked me (and my kids) that several times. Well, for us the main reason was that most of our family is here--both pairs of grandparents, as well as aunts, uncles, and cousins. As you get older you find that some things seem more or less important than they used to. We spent the previous 13 years in an affluent suburb of Dallas. Texas is a nice place, and the school district we were in is recognized as one of the best in the country, but I feel like it's better for my kids (ages 8 to 16) to be here than there.

I was tired of living in suburbia and all it means. Now, I have no 45-minute or more one-way commute and no "homeowners" association to contend with. There's more to look at than endless strip malls and subdivisions. I actually know many of the people at my kids' schools. Heck, my oldest has a couple of teachers who taught me when I was in school.

I've always felt that much of the quality of your education is up to you; it is what you make of it, in other words. Sure there are things here that could be improved. My oldest was looking forward in Texas to learning Chinese in high school. That's not an option here, although she's at the head of her class in Spanish. Honestly, I think that drugs, gangs, etc. were as much a problem in the suburban Dallas schools as in Centralia. Nowhere really escapes that.

Centralia's economy is not good, but it doesn't look like becoming a ghost town anytime soon. My mortgage and property taxes are less than half what they were in Texas on a similar-sized house. My insurance premiums are a fourth! I make much less here than I did in Dallas, but it doesn't take as much to live on.

It all depends on what you want and how you want to live, I guess. We should have a reason for being where we are. Otherwise, maybe it's time to take a look at life and evaluate what's important. That's how we decided to move back, and I hope that in some small way our coming back to Centralia helps the town. Things have changed, and it won't ever be the booming town it once was, but there's no reason it can't be a great place to call "home."

Old 05-15-2007, 02:02 PM

146 posts, read 953,529 times
That seems to be why most people stay/return because of family. My 80 year old mother and step father are still there and were not happy when we left to find work, but they understood. You have to eat and pay the bills and Marion county is a very difficult place to find a job anymore. BTW, my husband and I both have Master's degrees and still struggled to find work. We were over qualified for most everything and found ourselves fighting for too few jobs with too many other over qualified people. It was just crazy!
As far as taxes, our taxes in Oklahoma were much cheaper than our taxes in Illinois. The only way we got around it in Illinois was to buy a manufactured home since it lists on the tax roles as a mobile home. Still, our property taxes were higher than the taxes in Oklahoma on our lovely two story colonial with five bedrooms. (still miss that house . . . but moved back to Illinois to be near family.) If you have a stable income from a pension or a really in demand job, I guess it is a good as place as any to be. We moved back to Illinois 10 years ago and there were jobs there then but a lot has happened since then. World Color Press closing hurt the area considerably and then it just dominoed from there with other factory and business closings. I don't see that the area ever really recovered from that and may not recover. The high utility rates are the other issue that will kill the economy in the area. We left the utilities on in our home since we knew we would be going back to make our final move to Wisconsin. Our electric bill last month was $50.00 and there is nothing plugged in or running in the house. That is higher than the utility bill we had for our apartment here in Wisconsin with three people and everything running including a computer, television and so forth. My mother and step dad's electric bill last month there was over $200.00. I don't know what they are going to do when summer hits as my step dad is on oxygen and can't stand the heat. My Mom tries to conserve but when you have a medically fragile person in the house, there is only so much heat and cooling conservation you can do.
So, a lot of issues to consider in moving to Centralia.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,715 times
Default Centralia is Wonderful!!

I do not understand the negative attitude toward Centralia. I recently moved my wife and three children to the City and we are absolutely loving it! The City might have gone through a depression recently, but most cities do and they each find a way to overcome their problems. Centralia has a fantastic City administration now that is doing so many progressive things which should have a wonderful impact on the economy in the near future. You should definitely check out their website at City of Centralia, Illinois.::.Official Website. I did not grow up here, but I chose to live and work here over many other options (e.g. I turned down a six figure salary to work at NASA in Houston, TX). You CANNOT beat the affordability of living here, and most people here are incredibly nice. The shopping and recreation opportunities are wonderful, and this is a great place to raise a family. By the way, the hospital is the largest employer, not Kaskaskia College. The City is also growing, not shrinking (the City estimates a population of over 17,000 now); and people are definitely NOT leaving in droves! I love this City!

Old 11-06-2007, 07:04 PM

8 posts, read 37,158 times
I made my move. It has been good for my 81 year old mom and I. My grandson isn't too sure, he is 19.
You really need to be retired, as there are not a lot of jobs. The town is lovely and recently we had a visitor from Siberia. She said, Centralia is what America is all about. Lovely, well kept homes, nice friendly people. She also discovered Goodwill stores and the great Thrift shop on 7th Street and thougth resale items were great.
We do need new industry, our whole country needs more jobs. I do wish people didn't litter so much, but that is everywhere not just in our town.
It is nice to see old friends, some haven't left yet and I tell them. I've been all over the world and needed to come back to the quiet and peace that is here. Yes, in some ways time has stood still but that can be a good thing.
Today I was in Staples at Mt. Vernon, and used the USP machine to ship. The woman said, you know how to do that, most people don't or won't, well, that is one thing I mean about time standing still. There is a lot of new technology that people can and should learn.
I do see that there is a sadness in some of the faces here. They have to know that anyplace life can get better.
I mentored a family in Florida who really had problems. The mom is autistic, two mentally challanged daughters and the dad had learning disabliity. I worked with them, and now the dad is working, the girls are functioning better and the mom is too. They just needed a friend, someone to care, to listen. If we all just tried to do that for one family, one person who has no one to listen, what a difference it would make in the world.
Life is so short, we only pass this way once and we need to care.
Well, as I was saying. I moved to Centralia, am buying my 57 year old house and love it.
Thanks for all the information.
If you have a good industry needing workers, come to Centralia, we would be glad to have you.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,627 times
My great-grandparents, Friedrick and Maria (Schafer-maiden name) Burmeister and their daughter Edna, my grandmother, came from Centralia. My grandmother was born a short distance away in Carlyle. They moved by train from Centralia at the turn of the century to Maspeth, New York. Friedrick and Maria owned a butcher shop in Maspeth. My great-grandparents were proud that their family had been original settlers in Illinois, and were especially proud of being from Centralia and they were always reminescent of Centralia.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:49 PM

8 posts, read 37,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana_molly View Post
I was saddened to hear that Centralia has gone so far downhill. I too had a 60's education there and certainly didn't feel it was lacking then.

You have a wonderful attitude, and I wish you the best. And maybe it's a better alternative than where you are now. My best wishes to you.

(Incidentally, you were in my brother's class.)

What is your brother's name?
I was Judy Strong married a Clinton

Old 11-24-2007, 05:24 PM

463 posts, read 478,340 times
Isn't there a prison in centralia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois