Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 04:00 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,340,453 times

Advertisements

I live in Illinois .. in a rural town .. 2 new schools [mod cut]
I am less than 1 hour out of St. Louis ..could be shorter to St. Charles Mo with a different route.

We are out of the flood zone .... 4 seasons.... Close enough to the big city stuff but far enough away not to get caught up in it!

Last edited by aragx6; 09-04-2008 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: advertising
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 01:28 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
My brother lives outside of Bloomington in a town called Mackinaw. It's a pretty mix of farmland, and rolling hills. He and his family are very happy there.
My father is in Washington which has easy access to both Peoria and Bloomington.

You'll find a lot of little towns dotting the countrysides around this area.

Central Illinios is a great place to live and raise kids. Good choice!

Old 09-14-2008, 04:04 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
The Chicago area is a major source of economy for Illinois. You can find anything from jobs to food in that area. Once you go outside that, such as Peoria and Bloomington, you lose a lot of that. Its just really a matter of where you want to be and how much you can afford.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:07 PM

313 posts, read 596,603 times
I would not live in Illinois if you want to live in a rural area and don't want to live near Chicago. The taxes will be too high, and there's little to no upside.

Assuming your husband found equivalent job offers in other states, I'd suggest going there. As for the Chinese child thing, I've found stories of racism to be stupidly, ridiculously, preposterously, absurdly, completely overblown (at least in regards to the Chinese.... white/chinese/white-chinese baby family here).

While I like living in Illinois, it's not worth the money and we're looking to move when our jobs/her degree allow.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:28 AM

945 posts, read 1,987,993 times
Jacksonville, Quincy, Decatur, and then lots and lots of farm towns with very rural living outside of all of these. The farm towns come to these areas for grocery, etc. All three of these are great college towns as well. J"ville has Illinois College, Quincy has Quincy COllege and Decatur has Milikin. Oh, and I forgot Monmouth- Monmouth college and Galesburg- Knox College. Also, Havanan is a great little town. Been through there many times and a great River Town. Quincy too and right across from Canton MO. Don't know as much about Decatur.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:47 PM

526 posts, read 1,058,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
I would not live in Illinois if you want to live in a rural area and don't want to live near Chicago. The taxes will be too high, and there's little to no upside.

Assuming your husband found equivalent job offers in other states, I'd suggest going there. As for the Chinese child thing, I've found stories of racism to be stupidly, ridiculously, preposterously, absurdly, completely overblown (at least in regards to the Chinese.... white/chinese/white-chinese baby family here).

While I like living in Illinois, it's not worth the money and we're looking to move when our jobs/her degree allow.
what?
anywhere outta the chicago area is low taxes??!?!?
are you insane
for instance a pack of ciggarettes in chicago almost 8.00 i remember while at an internship on the westside i went to a dominick's on rosevelt and kedzie payed 8.25 for newports, i almost passed out!
the burbs roughly 6.00 an up
out of the chicago area 4.00 and below
HELLO
what does that tell ya
btw i live in the tax ridden city chicago but i do love it

they can move toward the area's by peoria, rockford, and still be within reach of maybe 2-4 hours of chicago, and still have a rural feel and setting, so were in illinois you live is out of this state!

Old 09-26-2008, 04:14 PM

21 posts, read 37,845 times
Bloomington is a great town! They have been having some crime issues but it is still a nice place to live.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:19 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
Illinois has the 22nd highest taxes in the country, view here:

The best and worst states for taxes - MSN Money

I have visited and been to lots of states, I personally think Illinois is one of the better states. There will be someone for every state that has something negative to say. The Chicago area is probably the safest areas in the aspect that it has tons of jobs, art, sports, food. Once you go outside that yes you do loose some of that but you also save money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois