Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2008, 06:07 AM

3 posts, read 11,108 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Springfield next year from Florida. We both have family and friends in Illinois (Ida, Mt. Olive, Altamont, and Chicago) and visit the state often. So we're not going in blind.

But, as far as economy is concerned, how's the general COL? Can two people live semi-comfortably on 12.00hr? I work for Lowes and can easilly transfer, but she's a telemarketer (but will probably have to find a new job so my income may be the only income until she does)

How's the job situation, and the public transportation? We don't own a car, and probably won't for the first year living there. Is it easy to get around townon bus or bike? IS the town cyclist friendly? I know FLA sure as hell isn't.

What's the situation with privately-owned businesses? We're not against corporations, but prefer to help the little guys.

Any good comic shops and book stores besides Borders or Barnes & Noble? Art stores?

We're moving to Springfield because of the library mainly. We're working on a graphic novel about Charles "Blackie" Harris and his time with the Shelton Gang and we need to move their to do our final research.

We're looking to move to the 62702 zip. How's the area?

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 01:24 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,099,703 times
I don't live in Springield but I can tell you that living in any of our larger cities is expensive. You would probably be better off to stay in Florida and pay someone to do your research. Most of the libraires offer this service for a moderate fee. In the end it would be cheaper than paying $600 rent and $500 for utilites. Or maybe you could come up on your vacation. Hotels are near the capital. Everything in Sprinfield is near the capital. .. Just a thought. Maybe someone else has a better solution.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:00 PM

990 posts, read 3,174,525 times
I think Springfield is a great choice for you. I heard you ask about public transit, and YES there is an existing bus network that goes to most Buisness & Industrial areas in the city.

Route Map: SMTD - Springfield Mass Transit District
General Info: SMTD - Springfield Mass Transit District

Economy wise, the city seems to have many government realted jobs, employing about 25% of the city. Healthcare is also a major industry, along with many other private sector jobs.

The area you mentioned is located on the north side of town by the airport, I streetviewed it using google and it does look a little slum like, however im not sure a local can help you with that.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:22 AM

166 posts, read 852,621 times
The north side of Springfield is not a slum. There are several nice, blue collar neighborhoods. Northgate, the area around Lincoln Park, Indian Hills, Twin Lakes - these are all nice north end areas. Like all cities of any size there are nice areas and not-so-nice areas. When you get closer to moving, I would be glad to help. Right now we have night bus service, but that might change if the ridership is not enough to support it. A friend of mine is legally blind and manages to get around quite nicely, without a car obviously.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:06 PM

291 posts, read 158,328 times
As long as you have two incomes, you'll do ok in Springfield. It's a typical mid-sized city. There are very nice (read: expensive) areas and more blue-collar areas. Luckily, for you, Lowes is located on the north end of Springfield where the housing is affordable (and, as Animal Lover said, there are some nice places on the northend) and there is plenty of retail businesses. The Dirksen Parkway area north of Sangamon is a retail hub. The people in Springfield are generally pretty nice and it's a decent place to live, IMO. Good luck.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:49 PM

3 posts, read 11,108 times
Thanks for the info.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:30 PM

16 posts, read 70,238 times
Actually we have two lowes one on the west end, and the new and bigger one on the north side

Old 12-18-2009, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,733 times
Default In ref: Charlie Blackie Harris

I am Charlie's niece. I met the lady he killed 2 weeks before he killed her. Met her husband and 5 children also. He was at my G'grandfather's house (Charlie's brother). I was 14 yrs old at the time. There is family in Tulsa of Charlie's that could give you insight on him on a personal basis. Would love to hear from you.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:53 PM

4,671 posts, read 7,338,136 times
I am certainly not knocking Springfield's bus system as it has gotten better, but I think the general consensus is that you need a car to get around Springfield. I had lived there when I was younger, and that feeling was the general impression that I got. There are, however, a fair number of bike paths in Springfield and throughout Sangamon county. Also, with Amtrak, you can easily get to downtown St. Louis and downtown Chicago without having to drive. It's actually quite convenient.

The North side of the city is pretty quiet with mostly middle class people living there. Springfield (and most of central IL for that matter) has a pretty low cost of living...of course, in any medium-sized city, you can find really expensive places to live. Good luck!

Old 12-20-2009, 09:16 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,452,588 times
Contrary to another person's post, Springfield and the surrounding towns are quite inexpensive to live in. Springfield offers quite a lot for the average person. I have many relatives there and in surrounding towns and have spent much time in the area while growing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: