U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-22-2008, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Alton Illinois, (duh)
10 posts, read 40,318 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

Alton, Illinois is a historic town on the banks of the Mississippi. About 15 miles of the Midwest center of St. Louis, Missouri. ‘BuffCity’ as it is called, was founded in the year of 1818. It is near the meeting place of the Missouri, Illinois, and Mississippi rivers. Alton was once a very important economic center in the Midwest.
The area has large coal and granite deposits, which made the river town a boom place. Much granite based and construed buildings are all over Alton. Many historic buildings in the city include: The ruins of the Confederate prison, The Lovejoy Monument, which is the tallest monument in Illinois, The Lincoln-Douglas debate square in downtown, and Saints Peter and Paul Roman Catholic Church and School, both over 100 years old.

All sorts of people live in Alton, Caucasians, African Americans, Native Americans, Latinos, Asians, and Pacific Islanders. The beauties of the Bluffs along Illinois Route 100 are some of the most beautiful in the whole country. There is a painting of the Piasa Bird, which according to legend terrorized the Illinois Native American Tribe. Many people gather at Alton Square Mall, a multi-story mall that homes many stores.



Area people gather every other Friday or Saturday nights, there is a football game ether Marquette Catholic High or Alton Highs’ teams play an opposing team at the stadium on State Street near the West Elementary. Alton has problems which include flooding and struggling economy has given more than enough for mayor Sandidge and the city council.

Alton is a great town from its history to its diversity and to its geography and even its problems can be moved around which makes it a good place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2008, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Conservative in Liberal California
1,663 posts, read 2,264,999 times
Reputation: 11303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altonliver View Post
Alton, Illinois is a historic town on the banks of the Mississippi. About 15 miles of the Midwest center of St. Louis, Missouri. ‘BuffCity’ as it is called, was founded in the year of 1818. It is near the meeting place of the Missouri, Illinois, and Mississippi rivers. Alton was once a very important economic center in the Midwest.
The area has large coal and granite deposits, which made the river town a boom place. Much granite based and construed buildings are all over Alton. Many historic buildings in the city include: The ruins of the Confederate prison, The Lovejoy Monument, which is the tallest monument in Illinois, The Lincoln-Douglas debate square in downtown, and Saints Peter and Paul Roman Catholic Church and School, both over 100 years old.

All sorts of people live in Alton, Caucasians, African Americans, Native Americans, Latinos, Asians, and Pacific Islanders. The beauties of the Bluffs along Illinois Route 100 are some of the most beautiful in the whole country. There is a painting of the Piasa Bird, which according to legend terrorized the Illinois Native American Tribe. Many people gather at Alton Square Mall, a multi-story mall that homes many stores.



Area people gather every other Friday or Saturday nights, there is a football game ether Marquette Catholic High or Alton Highs’ teams play an opposing team at the stadium on State Street near the West Elementary. Alton has problems which include flooding and struggling economy has given more than enough for mayor Sandidge and the city council.

Alton is a great town from its history to its diversity and to its geography and even its problems can be moved around which makes it a good place to live.
Great thread Altonliver! Good information on the history of your city, especially if anyone is thinking of moving there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2008, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Alton Illinois, (duh)
10 posts, read 40,318 times
Reputation: 18
If people who read this do want to move here, call Hornsey Moving and Storage, in Wood River
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Grand Prairie, TX
82 posts, read 126,426 times
Reputation: 14
Default Alton quest

Great background Altonliver! My husband and I are seriously thinking about moving to Alton. I think it is such a unique town. How's the crime there? I heard they had some drug problems, or is it just rumor? Is it a safe place to live? Are there areas to avoid?

I also heard that Alton is the diamond in the rough as potentially being a new/old upscale suburb of St. Louis with the loft conversions of old buildings. Do you see Alton going in this direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 02:15 PM
 
66 posts, read 237,695 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmusica View Post
Great background Altonliver! My husband and I are seriously thinking about moving to Alton. I think it is such a unique town. How's the crime there? I heard they had some drug problems, or is it just rumor? Is it a safe place to live? Are there areas to avoid?

I also heard that Alton is the diamond in the rough as potentially being a new/old upscale suburb of St. Louis with the loft conversions of old buildings. Do you see Alton going in this direction?
Please, do not move to Alton. You will regret it...I'm sorry to say. Crime and general decay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 09:38 PM
 
1,817 posts, read 4,415,610 times
Reputation: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo View Post
Please, do not move to Alton. You will regret it...I'm sorry to say. Crime and general decay.
As I said in another thread, dont let people tell you its the greatest place ever and dont let people make you think that its some god awful hell hole, its neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top