Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:28 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,354 times

Advertisements

I am investigating Chatham, IL. I'm looking for any personal opinions on neighborhoods, schools, safety, proximity to retail, etc.... I hear schools are good for the area but I want a local person's perspective. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 08:52 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,924,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish setter girl View Post
I am investigating Chatham, IL. I'm looking for any personal opinions on neighborhoods, schools, safety, proximity to retail, etc.... I hear schools are good for the area but I want a local person's perspective. Thanks!
Its a nice little town next to Springfield. I dont know too much about it. It is close to shopping in Springfield, only a 15 minute drive or so.

Hope you like high school football. If you move to Chatham you'll be hearing about it quite a bit.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:31 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
It's a very quickly-growing suburb just south of Springfield with quite good schools. They're always building new buildings and expanding. That's about the extent of my knowledge, sorry.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:29 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
my husband is originally from springfield and has relatives that live in chatham. they have some newer schools as the area has grown quite a bit. It is on the outskirts of springfield. some areas of springfield fall into the chatham school district. don't know much about crime etc however.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:26 AM

166 posts, read 855,698 times
I live just outside of Chatham. The schools have an excellent reputation and are one of the reasons families are attracted to this area. Much of the south side of Springfield is in the Chatham school district. Chatham has been growing rapidly for at least the last 10-15 years and still going strong. A new high school was opened in 2001 and they are talking about the need to expand the schools again due to increased enrollment. Crime? Tends to be petty stuff - and you can read all about it in the weekly newspaper - Chatham Clarion - in the police blotter section. Yes, you can see who got a speeding ticket, how fast they were going and where. There are several full time police officers.

Chatham has it's own electric utility, currently gets water from Springfield but is working on establishing their own water supply.

Regarding retail - you can find just about everything you need in Chatham. Larger new businesses in the last few years: Ace Hardware, Walgreens, County Market (grocery), 1Stop Auto, restaurants. There are several doctors with offices here as well as 4 veterinarians, a golf course, collision repair, places to get your hair done, a spa, bars, reception center, fast food (McDonalds, Hardees, Subway), 5 gas stations, 5 banks, etc etc. The only thing I can think of that's 'missing' is a department store, but the major retailers are a 10 minute drive up Rt 4 to the bustling west side of Springfield.

The housing prices run from under 100k to 400K+. There are many subdivisions - some of the newer ones are Oakbrook, The Willows, Foxx Creek, Breckenridge, Manor Hill, Manor Hill II (just being built), Breckenridge Manor. There's no 'bad' part of Chatham - just areas with smaller, older homes. If you have questions about a specific subdivision - I would be glad to help.

Chatham is friendly, family oriented, affordable.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-28-2008, 08:20 AM

610 posts, read 2,728,354 times
Thank you everyone for your comments. AnimalLover, is there a subdivision of newer homes that has mature trees ( trying to avoid open fields of cookie cutter homes).

Old 10-28-2008, 11:58 PM

I definitely understand that! There are several former cornfields turned into subdivisons... You might be interested in Hurstborne, Breckenridge, Sweetbriar. I can send you links to some homes in those subdivisions if you're interested.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:18 PM

40 posts, read 259,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish setter girl View Post
Everything posted so far seems accurate, just to add a little...

Chatham is the only town surrounding springfield that seems to me as if it could actually qualify as a suburb. In other words, there are enough shops, and a few employers, which give it its own identity and make it feel like more than a rural farming community.

It's probably not something I would use to determine where I live, but the far southern portion of Springfield is in the Chatham school district and many of these areas are also under City Water Light & Power (CWLP) which is Springfield's government run utility. While some are critical of CWLP, and rates may rise if a second lake is built, they will continue to be among the lowest overall electric and water rates in the state.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:34 AM

269 posts, read 1,001,966 times
Okay, I'm gonna give you a little perspective. Chatham is just a hop-and-a-skip away from Springfield, IL, and this is where the paranoid people who dislike diversity move to be amongst their own kind only. I never actually visited Chatham, as it's really only a residential area with a school or two (all-white, of course), but when I lived in Springfield I had co-workers who were from Chatham, and they looked down their noses at those of us who lived in Springfield. Why? Because Springfield has 15% black population, and downstate Illinois is really racist and Republican so many folks don't like that. I never in my life heard so many people complain about the (come-on) "CRIME" and "URBAN-ness" of Springfield, IL when it's like the safest/whitest small town ever. I mean, I live outside Washington, DC now, I've lived in Chicago and Houston, and so I know what REAL urban-blight looks like, but the folks of Chatham are convinced that their safety is at threat were they to live in Springfield, so they flock to their own little enclave. That's the real reason Chatham is growing these last 10-15yrs., 80% white Springfield isn't white-enough, they want it 98%, and Chatham does indeed offer that! :-)

Old 11-20-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I never actually visited Chatham
I think that pretty much sums it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois