U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 12:36 AM

9 posts, read 27,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
As far as I know, with the exception of perhaps Chicago and St. Louis, Peoria is more tolerant of individual life styles. If you're not a bad guy or a pedafile you should have no trouble finding a job or a place to live. Depending on your job description you may find many opportunities to work or not. Peoria has three hosptials, a medical school. university and collete, an awesome Park District, a large mixed religious base, and year round sponsored events. Thee are many ways to volunteer and meet new people.
Thank you for a well rounded response. My education is limited-3 AA degrees. I'm no pedafile or ever been arrested. I don't use any drugs or drink alchol. I'm a Christian but don't belong to any denomination (however, my first priority would be to find a church to worship in.) I don't enjoy bars. Usually keep to myself,however life experience has taught me that people generally sence that I'm gay-in other words; I can't hide behind a cowboy hat even if I wanted to. Employment in a nursing home or hospital would be ideal. Moving to Chicago, Rockford, Madison is out of the question. I have to choose between the towns listed above. Again, thanks for your unbiased opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystraveling25 View Post
I think if you are looking for anything remotely like the San Francisco/Castro Community, you need to move to Chicago Proper, or at least Chicago adjacent.

There are a ton of networking events for Professional Gays in Chicago, as well as the biggest Gay Sports League in the Midwest (CMSA).

You are looking to move to a somewhat small area of Western Illinois, and as someone who used to live in Kansas, I don't think you are going to find a warm and welcoming community there like you are used to.

If you are looking for a place where you might be tolerated, and may be able to find a friend or two, move where you are looking.

If you are looking for a place where you will be accepted, can find many, many others like you, network with other gays outside of bars, and live an open lifestyle in the city without (mostly) fear of being hurt, move to Chicago itself.
Believe it or not, I lived in Chicago before moving to California. I enjoyed Chicago a lot. But, you can't beat the bay areas weather. Probably the one thing I'll miss more than anything else if I move to Sterling/Rock Falls, Dixon. I don't go into Castro to often except to listen to the dj's spin (keep up with current music trend-I used to be a dj.) I know there won't be any gay bars in these 3 towns- but I don' t go to bars for the purpose of meeting a trick. I was in a relationship for 10 years before death seperated us. Since then (1993) I've been single and celebant. I recall making a visit to Prohetstown, Illinois to attend a funeral. Afterwards I drove a rental car to Sinnissipi Park in Sterling, Illinois to have some time to reflect on the funeral. It was a relatively nice day so I got out of the car to walk in the park (which is fairly large), as I was walking something made me turn around and I noticed 3 men following me. I was able to walk back to the car without any confortation. It's funny, I was still wearing the suit I had on at the funeral. Did'nt speak to anyone at the park- basically minding my own business. Maybe it was a fluke that these people started in the same direction I was going in- but I "felt" uneasy- like I should listen to that intuition and head back to the car. I always remembered the incident- but now that I have to make a decision to move to this area I can't help but think about it. That's why I posted the question in this forum. Thanks for your genuine response.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:47 AM

10,684 posts, read 18,275,296 times
A gay-friendly rock fell on Sterling Dixon?!? Whoa.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:11 PM

1,719 posts, read 1,517,585 times
I wasn't sure exactly where the Rock Falls/Sterling area was so I mapquested it. You are truly going to be in the middle of nowhere. The closest somewhat "urban" is the Quad Cities, and that's 70 miles away. I'm also gay, and couldn't imagine living somewhere so isolated. I really don't know how "gay-friendly" that area would be. I'm guessing not a whole heckuva lot, but that could be my big city bias talking. I do wish you the best of luck on your move to Illinois.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:59 PM
C-U

5 posts, read 12,161 times
I am not from those areas mentioned but know them and I would think you would be fine if you mind your P's and Q's. This is not 1960 or even 1970...... there are pockets of bigotry everywhere but people are, largely, tolerant these days. This is, also, not the religious South or a Western conservative state. It is not even Southern Illinois where people tend to be less tolerant. I don't think that most people with half a brain care much about your life these days if you don't impinge on theirs. Best of luck...........

Old 11-07-2008, 07:17 PM

6 posts, read 19,069 times
I live in Dixon, and people in this area are very tolerable and welcoming, in my opinion. My mom is the pastor at a church here, and I'm nto sure about other churches, but we are working on ways to reach out to the city's minority population, and really, anyone else who wants to come. Not saying that you have to come to church, but just to give you an example of at least one group of open-minded people in our community. This is also a beautiful area of the state with a few state parks within 15-20 minutes. Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Old 11-11-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbn2008 View Post
I live in Dixon, and people in this area are very tolerable and welcoming, in my opinion. My mom is the pastor at a church here, and I'm nto sure about other churches, but we are working on ways to reach out to the city's minority population, and really, anyone else who wants to come. Not saying that you have to come to church, but just to give you an example of at least one group of open-minded people in our community. This is also a beautiful area of the state with a few state parks within 15-20 minutes. Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Thanks for your response. I value your opinion. I may be coming to Illinois for a wedding in March of 2009. I would like to visit your church- what is the name and location? Thanks again.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
I wasn't sure exactly where the Rock Falls/Sterling area was so I mapquested it. You are truly going to be in the middle of nowhere. The closest somewhat "urban" is the Quad Cities, and that's 70 miles away. I'm also gay, and couldn't imagine living somewhere so isolated. I really don't know how "gay-friendly" that area would be. I'm guessing not a whole heckuva lot, but that could be my big city bias talking. I do wish you the best of luck on your move to Illinois.
You're right- it seems so isolated. I'm so use to getting in the car or train and being in SF in 15 minutes, or Berkeley in 5 minutes. Thanks for your comment.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,581 times
Do not go to sterling or rock falls!! You will not be happy there. Back stabbers everywhere.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:49 AM

21 posts, read 45,134 times
I have lived in Sterling/Rock Falls my entire life (almost 35). I know several gay women, not many gay men. There are a few gay men, who everyone knows they are gay, but they don't ever say anything about it. I personally wouldn't live here if I were gay. I have never heard of any hate crimes or anything, but there are certainly plenty of ignorant people here. I am planning to move out of the area. I don't know about churches, I haven't found a church here I'm comfortable with, they all seem too conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois