U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:29 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,178,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I'm not sure why you need a representative with non-Chicago experience. Senator Durbin, is a downstater and is one of the most powerful Senators in the Democratic caucus.
How about because he is the only downstate statewide officeholder. Every other statewide officeholder is not merely from upstate, but from Chicago proper. It might be nice to have more than one statewide officeholder not from Chicago so that we can at least pretend like we're not ignoring downstate interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 02:21 PM

15,587 posts, read 23,190,514 times
It looks like an answer will come soon.

ABC News

Old 11-15-2008, 02:30 PM

I heard on the news that there will be an open primary for Rahm Emmanuel's seat unless Daley expresses a preference. Uhm, excuse me? Isn't most of Emmanuel's district in the suburbs? Why does Daley get to choose their representative? And why does an open primary hinge him having a preference versus not having a preference? Shouldn't there just plain be an open primary?

Old 11-15-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I heard on the news that there will be an open primary for Rahm Emmanuel's seat unless Daley expresses a preference. Uhm, excuse me? Isn't most of Emmanuel's district in the suburbs? Why does Daley get to choose their representative? And why does an open primary hinge him having a preference versus not having a preference? Shouldn't there just plain be an open primary?
Do you have a link (or what news channel did you hear this) so I can read it?

About 2/3rds of Chicago north of Armitage is in the 5th congressional district. It appears roughly about half of the district is in the city and half in the burbs.

Well I am sure the parts of the district that are in Chicago have a majority of the population in the 5th. Since Daley really is the head of the Democratic party in the Chicago area if he anoints a favorite most others will drop out and Daley's pick will get all kinds of money and foot soldiers. The machine is alive and well of course.

"The district includes Chicago's Northwest Side and portions of the west suburbs, It includes 19 Chicago wards and two suburban township: Proviso and Leyden.

That means 21 Democratic committeemen will cast 140,000 weighted votes, with just over 70,000 needed to nail down the endorsement."

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/1279260,CST-NWS-rahm14.article (broken link)

For the record I support an open primary.

I live in the 5th district.

http://www.house.gov/emanuel/images/district_map3lg.jpg (broken link)

http://nationalatlas.gov/printable/i...t/IL05_109.gif

Last edited by Avengerfire; 11-15-2008 at 02:53 PM..

Old 11-18-2008, 07:57 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,396,352 times
Hey, how about Alan Keyes? Or Jim Oberweis?

......................just kidding!!

Old 11-18-2008, 10:03 AM

5,522 posts, read 12,284,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandwein View Post
They would be a huge improvement over Durbin who has sat in Congress while the Federal government and the State have run up massive deficits with no end in sight.

Why would anyone want to stick with Durbin, unless they are someone on the dole?

We are almost bankrupt at the state and federal level and its time all failed and stale incumbents like Durbin are put out to pasture!
Yes, its sure the fault of democratic Senators instead of a Republican administration and a Republican Congress that our federal deficit has mushroomed. Forget that under the last Democratic administration, we were running surpluses. Clearly Republicans are the party of competent governance.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:12 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,396,352 times
Quote:
They would be a huge improvement over Durbin who has sat in Congress while the Federal government and the State have run up massive deficits with no end in sight.

Why would anyone want to stick with Durbin, unless they are someone on the dole?

We are almost bankrupt at the state and federal level and its time all failed and stale incumbents like Durbin are put out to pasture!
How is the state deficit Durbin's fault? The state can't even come up with matching funds to take advantage of Federal funds for IL. Now I did like that Fitzgerald fella.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
...Now I did like that Fitzgerald fella.
He saw the future under Blago and wisely bailed.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
He saw the future under Blago and wisely bailed.
More like he saw the future of the Illinois Republican Party and bailed. It didn't help that the national party didn't feel his seat was worth defending so they contributed virtually no party money to his campaign.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:22 AM

3,131 posts, read 10,498,462 times
I really think the best appointee to the senate would be blago himself! that would be one way to break up the logjam that is Illinois Politics!!!! we need movement in springfield and the only way to get it, is to remove blago from the scene. I say, give him the big job in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois