U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 09:23 AM

7 posts, read 22,057 times

Advertisements

i am wondering why poplar grove illinois wants to try to change zoning laws to zone out wind machines within a mile and a half of the village???? we here in boone county just voted down ANOTHER TAX to help the public safety building expand.my taxes are already high enough yet by voting to out have wind machines near village we loose aproximately $22,000.dollars per tower to the county that most of it goes to the schools.we just had a addition to the high school and now we need a grade school.i think any and all revenues that come from towers are needed.if the project that was going to have 15 towers had been up and running we would have $330,000.dollars per year the county would have realized.by not having wind projects and machines it is fisically irresponsible..i think some of these politicians we have need to be removed and are not their to serve their friends and cohorts.poplar grove with it's unplanned expansion and not getting enough from the housing projects has cost the school system dearly by adding many new students without the compensation from the builders thus putting out taxes again ready for a increase to serve new students which the housing does not pay it's fair share..thanks for loosing the whole county money.i will remember this at next election....BOONE COUNTY RESIDENT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 05:55 PM

570 posts, read 2,127,941 times
Its because some think it will lower the value of their home. I myself would like to have one of these right in my backyard I like them.
Wind Watch: Poplar Grove may alter wind tower regulations (http://www.wind-watch.org/news/2008/11/07/poplar-grove-may-alter-wind-tower-regulations/ - broken link)

Old 11-19-2008, 06:43 AM

90 posts, read 309,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxindian View Post
i am wondering why poplar grove illinois wants to try to change zoning laws to zone out wind machines within a mile and a half of the village???? we here in boone county just voted down ANOTHER TAX to help the public safety building expand.my taxes are already high enough yet by voting to out have wind machines near village we loose aproximately $22,000.dollars per tower to the county that most of it goes to the schools.we just had a addition to the high school and now we need a grade school.i think any and all revenues that come from towers are needed.if the project that was going to have 15 towers had been up and running we would have $330,000.dollars per year the county would have realized.by not having wind projects and machines it is fisically irresponsible..i think some of these politicians we have need to be removed and are not their to serve their friends and cohorts.poplar grove with it's unplanned expansion and not getting enough from the housing projects has cost the school system dearly by adding many new students without the compensation from the builders thus putting out taxes again ready for a increase to serve new students which the housing does not pay it's fair share..thanks for loosing the whole county money.i will remember this at next election....BOONE COUNTY RESIDENT

I live in Poplar Grove and I'm on your side as well. Like Havasau said, their "public" reason is home values. However, I believe there is more to it. Along with personal vendettas, it stems from the good 'ole boy network. There are local politicians that are still against growth when the inevitable has already happened. In fact, Poplar Grove didn't even have a comprehensive plan in place until this year! With the huge boom Poplar Grove had in the last 5 years, it just amazes me that there was no plan in place at all.
On Poplar Grove's behalf, there are a couple current board members that are for this wind farm and for growth changes. I encourage you to help spread the word though because on the upcoming ballot in April, there are 3 current members up for election....and every one of them are from the good 'ole boy network.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:51 AM

570 posts, read 2,127,941 times
Jeff, we may disagree on some things but one that we agree on is getting rid of the good ole boy network. Lake Havasu has the same problem and a few years back they were voted out only to be replaced by a new group of them. Do your homework on anybody running and dig deep real deep. It is one of the most important things for a small town like Poplar Grove because they make major decisions for the citizens.Im sure you already knew this though.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:44 PM

4 posts, read 16,315 times
Default HELP - where is a good place to live up there

Please someone help me - we are looking to move to the area up there - ANYWHERE except Rockford proper, where it would be safe for us to stay a long time, retire there, rent for a while and then hopefully buy down the road.

Is there anyplace up that way that someone would recommend, please?

PS - not a real estate agent - I filled in something incorrectly - sorry. Just a person looking to move and trying to find someone other than real estate agents that perhaps I can trust. Thanks for any input - please!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 10:15 AM

43 posts, read 121,452 times
I find ti hard to believe ANYONE would not want a windfarm. Especially farmers. Hey farmers...or people with land, you get paid annually for the wind turbine to be on your property. sometimes as much as 25,000. the money yuou would get would offset any "loss" of farm area by ALOT!!! I mean ALOT because the impact is an 8foot wide access road to the turbine, then the 140' foottprint around the turbine base.
Did i mention electric bills reduced by 60% or so?
Besides, those things are beautiful to look at.
I live in CWL...(dont judge me, I work hard and own my home) and plan to put up a residential turbine. HAHA CWL, you have nothing to stop me in your bylaws!!! for 17,000 bucks I will have a turbine that generates abojut 300% more energy than I use annually. Here is the joyous part, ComEd (or your local power company) is required by federal law to purchase from me any additional energy produced from my turbine. The meter is put in at my expense but imagine ComEd sending you a check for thier electric purchase every month.
STOP CRIME IN CANDLEWICK BY GETTING RID OF SECTION 8 AND WELFARE RENTERS!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois