Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,321 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I will be relocating to Ashkum and have little idea about the area.
I am a city girl going to the country.
Any one know about the town or utilities?
Need info. to help set up utilities and and would like to know about the burning ordinances, if any. Or any other town ordinances.
What's the local paper?
Thanks,
Serviver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 09:22 PM

365 posts, read 1,248,722 times
You should probably post this on the Illinois forum.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,212 times
There isn't a lot to know about the area..the town itself is located 20 miles south of Kankakee. There are no grocery stores, traffic lights, etc. There is one resturant in town, and one bank. If you are going to live in town, then you have to establish a post office box (the PO is located on Main Street in town) because there is no mail delivery. Most people have Comcast cable, although you can get a sattelite dish. Comcast also offers high speed internet in our town, and you have the usual phone companies to choose from. Electric company is AmerenCIPS, and gas is Nicor. Water and garbage bills come from the village of Ashkum. There is virtually no crime, and the neighbors are super friendly. The downside is that if you want to do anything...shopping, entertainment, have a job, you need to head either 20 miles north to kankakee or 20 miles south to Watseka.
As far as ordinances go, there is a town burn pile for leaves, branches and such. Otherwise, there are no major resitrictions that you need to worry about. It's a nice, quiet little town. The paper that we read is The Daily Journal out of Kankakee, but there is also a local paper called the Advocate that is printed once a week. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Old 12-31-2008, 09:40 AM

990 posts, read 3,174,525 times
Wow Ashkum, thats kinda out there. I do admit I enjoy the area around it, but I have never seen anything to do. I know there is a state police district headquarters there, maybe a bar in the downtown but thats all I know of. You can however take a 10-15 min ride on I57 down to Gilman, Illinois. There is a Mcdonalds, Subway, Dairy Queen a gas station, and maybe a burger king. Or you can truck it about 5-10 minutes north to clifton where there is a gas station with a dairy Queen in it.

Anyway I defer to the user above bcause they seem to know more about this then I do.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,402 times
Hello, my husband, myself and 7 yr old daughter just bought a house in Ashkum, can anyone tell me what the elementry school is like there? we were currently residing in Kankakee when we owned a small buissness, which we quickly realized how bad Kankakee was (originaly we came from yorkville/naperville, Ill) so we put our child in the Grace Baptist Academy...its a wonderful christian school with excellent acedemic/moral structure and success (though VERY expensive)... but there was NO way we were going to put her in one of Kankakees public schools... since she has attended that school from day one, Im worried about how different it may be compared to the school she attends now. Iv herd so far nothing but how good the school there is..but would like to know more from people who know more personaly. also how would you say the locals are there? friendly? down to earth? Id really love to be able to inermingle with some down to earth friendly people (as thats the way we are) Thank You everyone

Old 01-14-2011, 01:56 PM

3 posts, read 16,656 times
Village of Ashkum website
Village of Ashkum - Illinois

I'm not too familar with Ashkum, but its definitely safer than Kankakee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois