U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 11:19 AM

707 posts, read 2,757,757 times

Advertisements

Galena is a wonderful place. My dad used to take us there when we were little to tour all the historic sites. I went a few months ago. I'm not much into shopping, but I did do all the historical sites again. I really recommend the one hour trolley tour which has a narrated history tour. There are a lot of seniors from the Chicago area who retired in the Galena Territory because it's beautiful and much cheaper than Chicago.

If you do the midwest tour, I also recommend Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin, in Spring Green, Wisconsin, which is 70 miles away. The area there is also beautiful with rolling hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 05:06 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,604,607 times
I lived 3 years in Savanna, IL (10 miles south of Galena) on the river and I lived almost 5 years in Stockton, IL about 20 miles East of Galena. We were transferred to OK and I bought a ranch for the price of a home in that area but up on retirement, I would love to live in that county. Looking for a few acres near Galena or Chestnut Mountain. We have lived in several States and even oversees and that area has always been my favorite spot in the world. Yes, too many Chicago people but I have tons of local friends up there so I am always on the real estate sites for Jo Davises County.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:01 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,286,904 times
Why is it that everyone sees Chicago people as some kind of negative in a certain area? They bring in money which keeps the area flourishing. W/o Chicagoland visitors, Galena probably would have ended up something like Cairo, IL. Be grateful for Chicagoans spending their hard-earned dollars in Galena. We're ALL Illinoisans, here.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:13 PM

1,044 posts, read 3,402,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Why is it that everyone sees Chicago people as some kind of negative in a certain area? They bring in money which keeps the area flourishing. W/o Chicagoland visitors, Galena probably would have ended up something like Cairo, IL. Be grateful for Chicagoans spending their hard-earned dollars in Galena. We're ALL Illinoisans, here.
I appreciate that you brought that up. I'm kind of sick of the negative comments too, as Chicago has a lot to offer that's not hard to find.

Galena is a nice area, but can be expensive for a small town. I was surprised to find that out the first time I visited there. So to the OP, if you plan on staying there a few days, don't be surprised by the Hotel prices as I was.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:46 PM

707 posts, read 2,757,757 times
The prices aren't that bad, it depends where you stay. I stayed at the Inn at Irish Hollow for about $90 a night. However, about 5 years ago I stayed on a smaller motel with about 30 rooms for about $50 a night which was on Route 20 about 5 miles outside of Galena.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:25 PM

Ive stayed at the Country Inn and the Best Western Quiet Inn and neither of them were above normal hotel prices. Ive also stayed at a B&B in Galena, which ran us $45 a night, in an old 1800s Union-style home. The property and home prices in Galena are surprisingly cheap, too.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Ive stayed at the Country Inn and the Best Western Quiet Inn and neither of them were above normal hotel prices. Ive also stayed at a B&B in Galena, which ran us $45 a night, in an old 1800s Union-style home. The property and home prices in Galena are surprisingly cheap, too.
to Steve-O and Purplesky, when I wanted to book reservations in Galena for this previous Summer, I was given average prices such as $145.00 a night with nothing more than a room with a Queen size bed. I called several places in the area and some were a little bit lower but a lot were higher. I don't know if it was because it was Summer or close to but not exactly a Holiday weekend or what the deal was.

When was the last time either of you booked reservations there that it ran so cheap compared to what I was quoted? Purplesky, I know you mentioned a price of $50.00/a night, 5 years ago, 5 miles outside of Galena, but my point is about reservations for hotels in the Galena Downtown area where all the attractions are.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
to Steve-O and Purplesky, when I wanted to book reservations in Galena for this previous Summer, I was given average prices such as $145.00 a night with nothing more than a room with a Queen size bed. I called several places in the area and some were a little bit lower but a lot were higher. I don't know if it was because it was Summer or close to but not exactly a Holiday weekend or what the deal was.

When was the last time either of you booked reservations there that it ran so cheap compared to what I was quoted? Purplesky, I know you mentioned a price of $50.00/a night, 5 years ago, 5 miles outside of Galena, but my point is about reservations for hotels in the Galena Downtown area where all the attractions are.
Forgive me, its been awhile... I stayed at the Best Western Quiet Inn in late January, maybe it was off-season rates? The Country Inn we stayed in during the fall (also off-season?), and prices were below $100 a night, I dont remember anything overly expensive in any of my stays.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Forgive me, its been awhile... I stayed at the Best Western Quiet Inn in late January, maybe it was off-season rates? The Country Inn we stayed in during the fall (also off-season?), and prices were below $100 a night, I dont remember anything overly expensive in any of my stays.
You're forgiven.

Your time of stay explains a lot. Summer, from what I was told, is their busiest season.

I'm guessing that if the OP wants to visit Galena and save some money, they should go in January, and stay at a place 5 miles outside the city.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:29 AM

87 posts, read 221,028 times
I'm going to Chestnut Mountain this upcoming weekend and their lodging is full. We're looking for a hotel in Galena that is close to the resort? Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois