Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 11:15 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,299,616 times

Advertisements

Over the years I have commuted pretty regularly on three rail lines, and it is not just the where the trains RUN, it is what the schedules and area around the stops -- there are big differences. If you want to endorse Hegwisch as some secret commuter haven, be my guest. I have taken the South Shore infrequently, and it is not as good an option as Southwest Service from Oak Lawn, there are only two stops between Oak Lawn and downtown, and the Oak Lawn station is a nice in-town set-up, while Hegewisch is a descent enough looking stop, but it was plopped down with nothing around it. I have relatives down that way. The Blue Island stop is not a nice as Oak Lawn, but it is struck me as somewhat more active than the Hegwisch area -- not sure if it that is still true with the problems as I have not been down that way since the St. Francis Hospital changed names/ownership in July. The actual TRACKS are shared by the South Shore, but it runs a different schedule.

I suppose if the OP was thinging that ONE of them would work downtown and one would work at the Ford assembly plant, it might make sense, but I am guessing that the OP and their partner might both have the kinds of jobs that would be office oriented...

Where'd you get the idea I'm in a cornfield???

Last edited by chet everett; 11-28-2008 at 11:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 11:01 AM

818 posts, read 2,170,140 times
If you are going to consider commuting to downtown Chicago via the Southwest line, you have to also consider the regularity of your work schedule. There are no weekend trains, and few post rush hour options on this line. The Electric Line, Rock Island Line, and the South Shore Line have weekend service, more options for those days you have to stay late, and give you the option to live further east (closer to Hammond). In fact, the south shore line goes to Hammond, and gets you downtown from there in 40 minutes.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:08 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,175,188 times
At least consider Whiting, IN. It has a small town feel and some reasonable housing stock. And it has rail to Chicago and borders on Hammond.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:08 PM

17,314 posts, read 14,591,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Over the years I have commuted pretty regularly on three rail lines, and it is not just the where the trains RUN, it is what the schedules and area around the stops -- there are big differences. If you want to endorse Hegwisch as some secret commuter haven, be my guest. I have taken the South Shore infrequently, and it is not as good an option as Southwest Service from Oak Lawn, there are only two stops between Oak Lawn and downtown, and the Oak Lawn station is a nice in-town set-up, while Hegewisch is a descent enough looking stop, but it was plopped down with nothing around it. I have relatives down that way. The Blue Island stop is not a nice as Oak Lawn, but it is struck me as somewhat more active than the Hegwisch area -- not sure if it that is still true with the problems as I have not been down that way since the St. Francis Hospital changed names/ownership in July. The actual TRACKS are shared by the South Shore, but it runs a different schedule.

I suppose if the OP was thinging that ONE of them would work downtown and one would work at the Ford assembly plant, it might make sense, but I am guessing that the OP and their partner might both have the kinds of jobs that would be office oriented...

Where'd you get the idea I'm in a cornfield???
Funny, because when I lived in Hegewisch I actually WALKED from my house to the South Shore in under 15 minutes.

Someone who isn't actually familar with the area might say that there's nothing around it - someone who actually knows the area would wholeheartedly disagree.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:55 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,748,130 times
You could rent a SFH in BLue Island in your budget. Safety-wise - its pretty urban, but there are sections that are really family-oriented and safe, and then there are some crummy areas. A lot of the houses are on good sized lots and have fenced yards. I think the public elementary schools are fair, some great teachers and students, but on the other hand the school scores are just barely average due to the fact there is a high amount of renters, spanish-speaking population, and low income families. You are well situated to commute downtown by train or highway.

THe other town I'd suggest is Homewood, but its actually not between Hammond and Chicago - its father south.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:58 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,748,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The Blue Island stop is not a nice as Oak Lawn, but it is struck me as somewhat more active than the Hegwisch area --
Its still very active - you can get the Rock Island 7 days a week, often as the first/last stop for an express train downtown, or you can take the Metra Electric 6 days a week, slower, but great for going to museums or Michigan Avenue Mon-Sat.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:12 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,766,673 times
There are no suburbs between Hammond and Chicago. Hammond and Chicago are directly adjacent to one another. Though I guess you could cut through Calumet City or East Chicago to get to the South Side if you wanted to. I woulnd't recommend either, though. Hammond is nicer than both... mostly.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:47 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,175,188 times
If you get technical (and I am technical) Whiting and Robertsdale are between Hammond and Chicago, although Robertsdale is little more than a village. If you choose to live near Hammond one thing that should not be missed is the annual Pierogi festival in June in Whiting. Its different.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:56 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,178,865 times
Well then, technically speaking, Robertsdale is just a neighborhood in Hammond, which borders Chicago. Whiting can only be accessed from Chicago by traveling through Hammond. So, how are they between Chicago and Hammond?

Old 12-01-2008, 09:58 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,585,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
There are no suburbs between Hammond and Chicago. Hammond and Chicago are directly adjacent to one another. Though I guess you could cut through Calumet City or East Chicago to get to the South Side if you wanted to. I woulnd't recommend either, though. Hammond is nicer than both... mostly.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois