U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,049 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I plan to move to the Midwest because his ex is going to live close to her parents in Hammond, IN. We want to find jobs in Chicago, IL but want to be close for his daughters sake.

Due to the economy, we need something that's not expensive so we can pay for other bills and things. We are moving from California (which is expensive) but we're trying to find a 2 bedroom for less than $1,000 but in a good neighborhood near decent schools and also like I said in my title somewhere between Chicago, IL and Hammond, IN. We live in a house so we have a lot of things that we don't want to have to get rid of...fridge, washer/dryer. Also, we have 2 cats and a dog (EEK) but I am not getting rid of them!! I love them and I want them to come with us to a good place. It would be nice to move to a house so the dog has a yard but I don't know if this is possible.

Looking to rent not to buy.

Any suggestions?? Any help provided is much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 07:54 PM

980 posts, read 2,776,075 times
Dyer maybe, but I hate to sound negative but the suburbs and city between Downtown and hammond is on the rough side (which is an understatement in some instances). So I would suggest branching off to the Southwest Suburbs which are usually safer, plus you can take I-80 to Hammond in about 20 minutes. and 57 or 55 to Chicago in about a 1/2 hour depending on traffic. Try Tinley Park, Orland Park, Orland Hills and Frankfort. These location provide optimal travel time, are affordable as well as safe.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:14 PM

27,632 posts, read 63,188,238 times
Jericho is steering a bit too far west I reckon -- I would angle east toward Oak Lawn , Merrionette Park or Blue Island if I was bargain hunting. With care you could find acceptable safety levels, schools that are certainly better than Chicago and very reasonable commute to Chicago or Hammond...

Old 11-28-2008, 09:20 PM

668 posts, read 1,950,687 times
Calumet City.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:43 PM

Default Yeah I thought about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
Calumet City.

...but since Cal City does not have direct rail service to Chicago, you'd have to rely on the Hegwisch rail station, and I think you won't really save enough to justify the potential scarieness of the that line as it winds up through some , uh, challenging sections of the City.

The Oak Lawn and Blue Island line is generally not as jarring, your mileage my vary...

Old 11-28-2008, 09:51 PM

2,522 posts, read 3,686,911 times
Try Homewood, about 20 minutes to Hammond and the Metra will have you downtown in about 40 minutes.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:58 PM

2,199 posts, read 4,994,675 times
Actually, look in the City of Chicago. Hegewisch, specifically, which borders Hammond. It's cheap, and about the cleanest and safest place you'll find next to Hammond. Which isn't to say you'll necessarily be settling if you move there. It's an isolated community, surrounded by industry, the Port of Chicago, and Wolf Lake, so it truly has a small town feel, and is pretty decent, overall. Not beautiful, but pleasant. Another plus, there is train service downtown from the the Metra station in the neighborhood. You didn't mention schools, but if you do, I think Chicago Public Schools in the neighborhood would be fine for elementary school. You're only renting, so you're not stuck there.

Another option would be Lansing, the next town south of Cal City, but a world away. Much safer and better kept, decent elementary schools. It's tougher to get downtown though. You would either need to drive to Hammond or Hegewisch to catch the train, or to Harvey, which isn't the safest option. There is also a Pace Bus that runs downtown from Lansing, but only during rush hours, and it can be slow.

You might also consider Hammond. There are some decent neighborhoods there, and train service to Chicago.

From your post, it sounds as if you think Hammond is a town surrounded by cornfields in Indiana, miles from Chicago. Actually, you could literally walk across the street between Hammond and Chicago, Cal City, or Lansing.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:36 PM

It would probably be helpful if the OP listed the GENERAL kind of employment / skills they might be bring to Chicago -- unemployment is rising, and even more so in the more challenged neighborhoods...

Old 11-28-2008, 10:48 PM

15,587 posts, read 21,129,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...but since Cal City does not have direct rail service to Chicago, you'd have to rely on the Hegwisch rail station, and I think you won't really save enough to justify the potential scarieness of the that line as it winds up through some , uh, challenging sections of the City.

The Oak Lawn and Blue Island line is generally not as jarring, your mileage my vary...
The South Shore has commuter police on all trains at night I believe.The also have at least two crew members including the conductor who walks through the train frequently. I find riding the South Shore at night to be far less shady than riding any CTA rail line at night.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:48 PM

2,199 posts, read 4,994,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

Most of the Metra lines run "through some , uh, challenging sections of the City". Amazing how millions of people manage to make it to their offices every year without being riddled with bullet holes. When looking for advice on the city, be skeptical of replies typed up in a cornfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois