U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2008, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Redneckistan
11,102 posts, read 13,160,482 times
Reputation: 3923

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
No harm. :-) I read a lot of your posts because I like what you say. I'm sure we'll cross swords again because we are who we are. It should not stop us from being kind to each other. I've driven in 3 countries and many of the mega-metro areas in the US, lived in six states, many of which have the worst drivers inthe world, got lost in the wrong part of LA at 4am and did it accident free because I practice defensive, courteous driving. I learned how, of all places, on the Outer Drive in Chicago in Monday morning rush hour traffic. Those lessons, and the grace pf G_d saved my life more than once. I understand you anger. I've seen some terrible accidents and Kops that should be desk jocks.

I have an idea. Let's nomininate your 'friends' for Gene Pool Rejects of the year awards and give them the publicity they so richly deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2008, 12:56 PM
 
15 posts, read 77,434 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
[1] I would talk to the District Attorney's office first because they can dismiss. [2] Pay your fine because it is cheaper than returning to IL to appear, or, hiring an attorney. .
Yes, I will talk with them tommorrow. Apparently they only have 2 hours on Weds to take calls on traffic tickets. I would be glad to pay the fine and not appear, if the fine is reasonable and as long as I don't have any other issues like points or insurance effects. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2008, 12:57 PM
 
15 posts, read 77,434 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Linicx is right on the money Bob...I would speak with the SA's office first and there's a slim chance (but still a chance is better than no chance at all) that you MAY be able to get it dropped...IF that happens,get it sent to you in writing to avoid possible future trouble....UNFORTUNATELY Lin is also right about paying the fine being cheaper and that's the unfair part of the scam they ran on you,they KNOW that it's cheaper to pay than to fight it for an out of stater....If you were here with time to kill you could aggrevate the heck out of them by pleading not guilty,asking for a trial by jury and dragging it out.It's getting harder all the time for cops to get a jury to side with them and especially with all the traffic harrassment going on right now in this area.
I plan to talk with them tomorrow. I have my fingers, toes and eyes crossed! thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2008, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Not where you ever lived
11,544 posts, read 25,918,367 times
Reputation: 6240
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Hey muleskinner, since you know more about cars and radar and technical issues than I, here's an IM. waiting for ya. And THANKS for the thumbs up from you!!!

Last edited by linicx; 12-02-2008 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: characters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2008, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Not where you ever lived
11,544 posts, read 25,918,367 times
Reputation: 6240
Default There's a caveat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbob99 View Post
Yes, I will talk with them tommorrow. Apparently they only have 2 hours on Weds to take calls on traffic tickets. I would be glad to pay the fine and not appear, if the fine is reasonable and as long as I don't have any other issues like points or insurance effects. Thanks!
The caveat in all this is what a guilty plea - that's what you agree to when you pay the fine - could do to your insurance, your diving record in Maryland AND your FICO credit score. It may be cheaper in the long run to hire the attorney if the SA doesn't make nice. Schmoze with the girls on the phone, etc.. You'll probably be on hold for a whlle IF you don't get a busy signal. All of the bad tickets should be tossed anyway. Call your attorney and we'll see who we can find for you down on this end.

In some states you can go to the county clerks office with the ticket, and they will forward it to the SA with the reason why you think it should be disqualified or dropped. Mo does this but I don't know if IL does or not. You're lucky you wern't in Missouri. The cops accompany you to the nearest JP where you pay the fine then and there. Done that! It's a bummer.

Last edited by linicx; 12-02-2008 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2008, 08:55 AM
 
15 posts, read 77,434 times
Reputation: 17
I talked with someone from the DA's office and they offered $200 fine with 3 months court supervision, no court appearance. If no other tickets in that time then it's not reported.

I am still debating what to do. I talked with a lawyer and he thought he could get it amended to a lesser violation like "speeding" since my record was clean, being from a state that does not have the law and that the trooper was sitting alone on the side of the road not obviously in an emergency situation.

What a pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2008, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Chicago Suburbs
3,191 posts, read 3,782,075 times
Reputation: 1161
Cool Welcome to Illinois, that will be $200.00 please

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbob99 View Post
I talked with someone from the DA's office and they offered $200 fine with 3 months court supervision, no court appearance. If no other tickets in that time then it's not reported.

I am still debating what to do. I talked with a lawyer and he thought he could get it amended to a lesser violation like "speeding" since my record was clean, being from a state that does not have the law and that the trooper was sitting alone on the side of the road not obviously in an emergency situation.

What a pain.
What will the lawyer charge you?
Either way, you will have to pay a fine and if lawyer fees put you over the 200.00 amount, I'd say go with the DA's offer and put the ordeal behind you.
Good thing is it will not be reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2008, 09:43 AM
 
15 posts, read 77,434 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
What will the lawyer charge you?
Either way, you will have to pay a fine and if lawyer fees put you over the 200.00 amount, I'd say go with the DA's offer and put the ordeal behind you.
Good thing is it will not be reported.
The lawyer said about $120-150. I will probably take the DA's offer and be done with it. Thanks for your suggestions.

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2008, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Not where you ever lived
11,544 posts, read 25,918,367 times
Reputation: 6240
NO!!!! DO NOT take the DAs offer. You do not need probation or points assessed. Your insurance will skyrocket or they can drop you. The money for the attorney is not the point. It is how much real trouble a CONVICTION with probation can AFFECT you and your FAMILY IN THE FUTURE.

WERE YOU SPEEDING? If you were then that is another issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2008, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Chicago Suburbs
3,191 posts, read 3,782,075 times
Reputation: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
NO!!!! DO NOT take the DAs offer. You do not need probation or points assessed. Your insurance will skyrocket or they can drop you. The money for the attorney is not the point. It is how much real trouble a CONVICTION with probation can AFFECT you and your FAMILY IN THE FUTURE.

WERE YOU SPEEDING? If you were then that is another issue.
It is supervision, not probation. The two terms are entirely different.

Your Guide to Illinois Traffic Courts (http://www.illinoislawyerfinder.com/publicinfo/TrafficCourts.shtml - broken link)

Quote:
If the defendant complies with the conditions imposed by the court, the Supervision is then terminated satisfactorily. The defendant does not receive a conviction on his or her record
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:44 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top