U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:55 PM

2,394 posts, read 3,449,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post

Instead of questioning the law, I think this kind of falls under a common sense umbrella.
Have fun explaining to a judge that what you did was common sense. That should work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 10:34 AM

3,597 posts, read 7,705,848 times
Quote:
^ I'm sorry that you who disagree with me do not understand the law, and why it should be followed. Let's go back to the original statement;
He admits that he could make a lane change, but he "tries to minimize lane changing." It is not only a courtesy to the emergency personnel, but a safety issue. Doesn't anyone watch World's Wildest Police Videos, or any other police video show for that matter? It's not all that uncommon that a cop gets his car, the suspects car, or the actual cop/suspect themselves to get nailed on the side of the road.

I'm sorry, I had a run-in with a cop who was a complete jerk today, but it gets kind of old when someone doesn't obey the law and then whines about getting a ticket for it. Then of course everyone else jumps on board with how the cop MUST be abusing his power. Please, get over it.

The point is that another police officer was blatantly violating the law for money. Again. Again again again again again again again again again again again again again again again.

Again again again again again again again. Again. So many 'agains' that I no longer recognize the word.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:48 PM

25,906 posts, read 36,330,114 times
I must be missing something. Scott's Law, as best as I can gather, requires drivers to slow down and move at least one lane away from emergency vehicles that have their lights flashing. The OP didn't know that and so didn't move over. I understand that there's a caveat in the law that moving over is not required if it's unsafe to do so, but the road was empty. So what's the problem with the ticket? I agree that it's unfortunate and maybe the OP can have it kicked out due to not knowing any better, but is "Well, the cop didn't look like he was doing anything important" a real defense here?

Old 12-23-2008, 10:10 PM

711 posts, read 1,869,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I must be missing something. Scott's Law, as best as I can gather, requires drivers to slow down and move at least one lane away from emergency vehicles that have their lights flashing. The OP didn't know that and so didn't move over. I understand that there's a caveat in the law that moving over is not required if it's unsafe to do so, but the road was empty. So what's the problem with the ticket? I agree that it's unfortunate and maybe the OP can have it kicked out due to not knowing any better, but is "Well, the cop didn't look like he was doing anything important" a real defense here?
Apparently so, JustJulia. Because the OP got a ticket, it was an abuse of power. If I get a ticket tomorrow on I-57 for doing 85 in a 65, I'm going to blame the cop; after all, there are real criminals out there to be caught.

Drover, let's just say you win. It's not worth arguing, you obviously need every law on the books spelled out for you in order for you to understand. Was it you that said you are studying to become a lawyer? If so, that would make sense.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:50 PM

11,102 posts, read 13,190,017 times
Quote:
Apparently so, JustJulia. Because the OP got a ticket, it was an abuse of power. If I get a ticket tomorrow on I-57 for doing 85 in a 65, I'm going to blame the cop; after all, there are real criminals out there to be caught.

Drover, let's just say you win. It's not worth arguing, you obviously need every law on the books spelled out for you in order for you to understand. Was it you that said you are studying to become a lawyer? If so, that would make sense.
It would have been nice had you read the OP and responses b4 you posted a clueless statement like this.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,045 times
The illinois state police are just giving easy tickets that they know will stick for the state to get cash. The fines way to steep. Also all police in illinois think they are above the law. The feds need to do a major crack down on police dept through out illinois.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:45 AM

11,102 posts, read 13,190,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve Harrison View Post
The illinois state police are just giving easy tickets that they know will stick for the state to get cash. The fines way to steep. Also all police in illinois think they are above the law. The feds need to do a major crack down on police dept through out illinois.
I agree 100% with you.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:48 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,196,393 times
Quote:
At least "65" is a fixed, objective standard. It seems you would have no problem if the speed limit signs simply said "common sense" and then let people guess exactly what "common sense" means, and too bad for them if they guess wrong.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,868 times
I just Received a Ticket for Scotts Law Yesterday in Rockford. Here is what Happened. I just Made a Phone Call to 911 for Barricades and Metal Signs that had Blown over in the Fast Lane and was on the phone for about 3 to 5 minutes it seemed with the Illinois State Police Dispatcher who after I was through said Thank you for Calling. I Hung up and then in Front of me while I was in the Middle Lane a Car Slammed on the Breaks, Thinking that there was something in that Lane and to Avoid Hitting the car in Front of me I Switched Lanes to the Fast Lane (or Inside Lane) then as I Switched Lanes there was a State Trooper on the Inside Lane (SHOULDER) with a Vehicle Stopped. Now Mind You this is Heavy Traffic, SUNNY DAY, DRY CONDITIONS and I just made a 911 Call Reporting Road Hazard. I could Not Change Lanes back to the Middle Lane due to the Fact that the Person in Front of me Hit the Breaks and it was NOT SAFE and Could NOT Change Lanes Back to the Middle Lane. I went By the State Trooper cause I had NO Alternative. About a Mile later as I looked in my rear view mirror I saw a State Trooper with his Lights Flashing. I Pulled over to the Right Hand Shoulder as I was TRAINED and he pulled right behind me and I stopped. He came up to the Passenger Window with an Attitude that My Wife Noticed right away. The Trooper asked for My License and Registration and said I was getting a Ticket for VIOLATION OF SCOTTS LAW. I Tried to Explain to the Office that I just Made a 911 Call Reporting Debris in the Roadway in the Fast Lane and I thought when the Car in Front of Me Hit their Breaks that their was More Debris in the Roadway and he said then I was Following to Close to the Other Car and should have Slowed Down. The Officer did Not see what had Happened and did Not want to Reason at all and I was at FAULT and did Not Move over for his Vehicle. I was a Police Officer in California and Also a Volunteer Fire Fighter here in Illinois. This Law is a Great One if Used PROPERLY. I if anyone BELIEVES IN THIS LAW but there are SITUATIONS for Every Ticket and it is LEFT up to the Police Officer to Determine if a Ticket should be Issued or Not. UNLESS THINGS HAVE CHANGED SINCE I WAS ON THE FORCE? The Officer did Not want to Hear Anything at all from me Except Sign Here and that I MUST BE IN COURT ON THIS DAY. The LAW "SCOTTS LAW" CLEARLY SAYS " PROCEED WITH DUE CAUTION" "CHANGE LANES IF POSSIBLE" "REDUCE SPEED". If I Could have Stayed in the Middle Lane I would have and Not Changed Lanes to the Inside Lane where about 50 ft was the Officers Squad Car. Would it had been Better to Hit the Vehicle that SLAMMED their Breaks On or Change Lanes? I did NOT SEE THE OFFICERS SQUAD CAR and if I did I would Not have SWITCHED LANES to the INSIDE LANE. My Training during My Years as a Police Officer was to Switch Lanes the the Drivers Side cause Your Reaction Time is Faster. I Do Have 2 Witnesses, My Wife and the Vehicle that was Following me that saw that I COULD NOT CHANGE LANES Back to the MIDDLE LANE Due to TRAFFIC Being there. I Also Have a COPY of the PHONE CALL to 911 about DEBRIS in the Roadway just Prior to this Officer on the Side of the Roadway. When I was on the Force, if I was Stopping a Vehicle and they were pulling over to the Inside Shoulder I would put My LOUD Speaker on and ask the Driver to Pull Over to the Right Shoulder for SAFETY to ME as Well as the DRIVER. WHY was this OFFICER on the INSIDE LANE UNLESS the VEHICLE was BROKEN DOWN? MAYBE? I Guess Things have Changed Since I was on the FORCE as a POLICE OFFICER. I have Not been to Court yet and it will be interesting to see if I am Found Guilty of this Law. I am Old Enough to Except Responsibility for something that I have Done "BUT" a State Trooper as well as any Law Enforcement Officer NEEDS to USE THEIR DISCRETION WHEN ISSUING A TICKET NO MATTER IF IT IS SCOTTS LAW OR ANY OTHER!!!! UNLESS THAT HAS CHANGED ALSO?

Old 02-10-2009, 04:48 PM

803 posts, read 2,704,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbob99 View Post
I received a Scott's Law (Move Over Law) ticket yesterday on I-64 near Mt Vernon. The trooper's vehicle was stopped, well off on the side of the road, with lights flashing, no other cars around or any people around -- it did not look like an emergency situation. I normally slow down and move to an alternate lane if the situation looks hazardous but this one did not. I just thought this was some sort of "friendly" warning to keep to the speed limit, which I did. Also, I try to minimize lane changing for safety reasons.

I have never heard of this law and I am from Maryland where we do NOT have this law. No excuse, I know, but it still seems terribly unfair to expect outsiders to be familiar with this new law.

Illinois also seems to use this law abusively and actually sets traps to catch unaware motorists like me. This trooper was clearly not doing anything emergency related. He was just sitting there with lights flashing for no reason except as an entrapment setup.

The penalties are also outrageous. Mandatory requirement of a court appearance is unfair especially for out-of-towners like me. Also the fines are excessive --$150 to well over $300. Also, a person's license can be revoked and it can affect insurance rates? It is really unbelievable how overzealous the IL police and courts are pushing this.

I agree in principle with the spirit of the law but the aggressive style of enforcement is abusive, unfair and wrong. Anyway I have this ticket and a court date in January. I cannot afford to take time off from work and fly back to Illinois for court appearance. Some have suggested hiring a lawyer. I am totally distressed about this. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks.

Bob

Bob, Illinois' law has been long-known throughout the COUNTRY as being intentionally vague and run by a kangaroo-court system, specifically so that they CAN issue more tickets!

I used to be in a band, and our drummer wore a shirt onstage that pictures a State Police cruiser and read, "Welcome to Illinois!---It's QUOTA TIME!!!"..... and the shirt was only HALF-kidding.......

Truckers do what they can to avoid crossing Illinois if they can, and I hold the state politicians and court systems in a personal state of contempt, for their dereliction of duty on a number of occasions.... but that's another story....

Send them a letter saying that no one has ever heard of this dumb-assed law, and DARE them to take your license away.... of course, they WILL do so, and eagerly at that, but maybe then you'd have grounds to sue for not only the return of the license, but financial damages as well... I dunno....

...but anything that sticks a finger in the craw of the Illinois "injustice system" is worthy of a donation, by me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois