U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 05:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,110 times

Advertisements

well i live in carbondale il you cant get more racist then that i what to move my family to bloomington but i am tried of living in these little racist towns can some one give my an honest opinon about bloomington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 03:46 PM

16 posts, read 61,184 times
Bloomington isn't anything like the deep south in my opinion.

Deep south=somewhere I'd NEVER EVER want to live.

I can deal w/ Bloomington. Low crime, easy access to interstate to big cities(Chicago, St. Louis).

That being said, I can see why many people wouldn't like any of these cities in Central Illinois. I was raised here so, it really doesn't bother me.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:59 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,670,595 times
Peoria seem like the best city in Central Illinois. The second one is Champaign-Urbana, which is suppose to be liberal and somewhat diverse.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:31 AM

767 posts, read 1,713,116 times
Like any midwestern town, B/N has its share of backward, uneducated idiots who are going to be racist and ignorant of fashion and culture in general. However, B/N also has alot of educated, cultured individuals with lots of $$$. You may not see these people as often though unlress you are around the university or major businesses in the community. My friends from B/N (both of whom have PhDs) go on a two month trip to Europe and Asia each summer, live in a beautiful home, and are not in any way racist. That applies to their friends and neighbors as well; many of whom were born and raised in B/N.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:05 AM

3,089 posts, read 4,312,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
Like any midwestern town, B/N has its share of backward, uneducated idiots who are going to be racist and ignorant of fashion and culture in general. However, B/N also has alot of educated, cultured individuals with lots of $$$. You may not see these people as often though unlress you are around the university or major businesses in the community. My friends from B/N (both of whom have PhDs) go on a two month trip to Europe and Asia each summer, live in a beautiful home, and are not in any way racist. That applies to their friends and neighbors as well; many of whom were born and raised in B/N.
And it is not only those folks with lots of $$$ that are well educated, well read, and intelligent. University towns like B/N are full of the "mentally acitve". . . that is the reason that I sayed in B/N for years after graduation, and the reason it is still one of my favorite places.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:26 AM

767 posts, read 1,713,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
And it is not only those folks with lots of $$$ that are well educated, well read, and intelligent. University towns like B/N are full of the "mentally acitve". . . that is the reason that I sayed in B/N for years after graduation, and the reason it is still one of my favorite places.

Good points.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:19 AM

33,028 posts, read 34,725,224 times
Seriously...ISU may not be the most fantastic school in the state, but it's definitely a decent enough school to support an educated community, moreso than often found in smaller midwestern communities. And Illinois Wesleyan's not bad, eitehr.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:36 AM

8,181 posts, read 15,463,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
I just loved it how to Bloomington folk 3 cars waiting at a red light was a traffic jam, NOBODY knew how to drive in heavy traffic to save their lives, people have no idea what parrallel parking is or why anyone would do it, people don't understand how to make a left turn on a circle green light to save their souls (pull out into the center of the intersection and wait out there instead of sitting at the white line like a dumb *****), $8 an hour at Wal Mart was considered a good job, Hilltop Mobile Homes was considered "Upscale" LOL, the fact that a law had to be passed to make it illegal to turn your indoor furniture into your outdoor furniture (didn't Jeff Foxworthy joke about that that rednecks do that? But that law was passed in 2000 in Normal), Famous Barr and Bergners were "High End" LMFAO (Guess the folk better never venture to Old Orchard Mall and see things like Zara, and Bloomingdales), $40 was "alot" of money for jeans( I would hate to see the towns folk in Diesel where jeans are over $200), Old Navy is the "cool" clothing to wear and basically the center piece to Eastland Mall LOL!, St. Louis was a vacation spot, Ned Kelly's Steak House was high end, jeans and a sport jacket was considered dressed up, African Americans are still refered to as "the N word" or as my neighbor would call them, "farm equipment" instead of as fellow human beings, anything that doesn't fit into a garbage bag was considered "bulk refuse" and would sit out at the curb until the city got around to it and picked it up and took it back to their little warehouse so they could go through your junk to see what they wanted to take home with them which is why that stuff never made it into a garbage truck with a compactor and instead into a dump truck where items could remain in tact until they could later be picked through, driving more than the town's posted 30 mph speed limits was considered going "lickity split" yes I had a cop pull me over and actually say that to me, "ummm duhhhh, sir would yall mind tellin me whaa you were movin licky split back thar? I'ma gonna have ta write you a ticket"...I got a ticket for moving at 37... Lightening fast I guess. I could go on, but I just thank GOD I am not down there anymore.
Do you consider using paragraphs highly educated?
It's really hard to take a post like this seriously.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:38 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,504,271 times
I like driving my NEW pick-up truck...which by the way was a very expensive piece of machinery. I also buy expensive clothes when I want to go shopping and my husband is a so called garbage picker/ Sanitation Worker who makes a really lot of money.....and his nationwide company offers super benefits. He can drive a semi too. BTW, his job title is Sanitation Engineer and he went to college. We also have a several acres of land, two different properties, fairly new cadillac and a 68 Corvette Convertible....so Sanitation Workers in central illinois do ok.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:20 PM

85 posts, read 320,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Daaaaahhhh huuked on fonics werked fir me. I daled 1-800-abcdefg. haha
Well you better ask for your money back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois