U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 01:16 AM

107 posts, read 324,655 times

Advertisements

I lived in Bloomington Illinois for a year. No, I did not lose a bet.

There is this place where I used to sing karaoke twice a week. What irked me is the affinity that the patrons had for southern culture. Over 1/2 of the songs sung were of the Country genre. One time, three of the songs in a row explicitly referenced the South. I do not get why people from central Illinois are passionately singing about places (like Jackson MS and Baton Rouge LA) that are hundreds of miles away, and from what I heard are real crapholes.

I went to sing an Erasure song, and this redneck said "this is going to be a car wreck". Closeminded attitudes like this are why I am glad I no longer live in Bloomington. I do not get it. The Bloomington metro has a large university and State Farm. Its economy is relatively good compared to the United States. Its population has been growing at a healthy clip; a lot of transplants from Chicagoland and India. And it is deep in the North geographically. So why the dominance of Southern culture?

It is a shame that one has to go to expensive parts of the country to experience open-mindedness and diversity. It is like you have to pay a penalty for avoiding rednecks and monotonous music.

One more thing: the bar even disliked it when I sang U2. C'mon!

Last edited by kuvopolis; 12-02-2008 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: I forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 03:00 AM

260 posts, read 1,038,819 times
Oh, so they're ALL hicks because they enjoy music adapted from traditional Anglo-Celtic elements developed by the Cumberland settlers who pioneered a goodly part of the Midwest? I do believe you need some diversity training.
As far as the train wreck crack goes, it may have been a reference to your singing ability (or rather the lack of it) than the song choice. I lived in Bloomington-Normal for many years, both my wives were from there. I'm an urbanite originally, from a European background and am college educated. One of my daughters (born in Normal) is an Ivy-League scholar. For the record I have no idea what your beef with the Twin Cities might be. If it isn't to your liking there is a whole wide world out there, find someplace that you DO like.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:47 AM

First of all, I never used the word hick, so do not put words in my mouth. Nor did I say that everyone in Bloomington-Normal is a redneck. My point they think their culture is superior and they dominate over the university students/transplants.

A goodly part of the Midwest? Have you checked the weather in central Illinois lately, or any winter for that matter?

I have friends from all backgrounds and races, so I would not jump to conclusions, buddy.

The guy said my singing was going to be a car wreck before I even sang a note, and I have never met this guy before in my life so he never heard me sing before. He went purely on the name of the artist, Erasure. Since it was not Brooks and Dunn or Garth Brooks he felt the need to make a disparaging remark. He happened to be a lower class white person with a southern accent. So, a redneck.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:42 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,934,615 times
Not every white boy from the south is a true redneck. If you moved to Peoria you would have found it more to your liking. Bloomington is a farm town grown big and sprawling. It is uber-Christian. uber-conservative, Republican, old money, and clannish. It always has been. However there are some wonderful people that live there and good job opportunites. It is sad that you did not meet some of the warm welcoming people who do live there. By the way, I know some real rednecks who are some of the kindest, nicest people you ever met. They don't live in Bloomington. They are simple ciuntry folk who are a bit like the "Beverly Hillbillys" we saw on TV and not at all like the clown who called your song a car wreck before he heard it. .

Old 12-02-2008, 06:01 AM

4,235 posts, read 5,446,266 times
Country music, while not my cup of tea, is quite pervasive. I know a lot of people from CA that love country music; as well, when I went to school in Boston, people'd do karaoke to "Save a Horse..." all the time. Neither of those places are part of the deep South. If that's the sort of music that they like, then so be it, but I wouldn't claim Bloomington to be even remotely like the South.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:47 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,670,657 times
Hmmm, I lived in Bloomington / Normal for many years, and never encountered the type of situation that the O.P. describes. There is plenty of "conservative" in B/N, and plenty of "liberal", too. With 2 Universities, and the people that surround them, there is plenty of "culture" of all varieties. I think that people that complain that others have different likes / dislikes than they do, may have a very narrow frame of reference!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:59 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,934,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
If that's the sort of music that they like, then so be it, but I wouldn't claim Bloomington to be even remotely like the South.
If you have not lived in Bloomington, I will tell you the attitude is very much Bible Belt southren and has been for as long as my old gray matter can remember; that's a long time.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:48 AM

818 posts, read 1,892,927 times
I was under the impression that Country-Western music was quite popular throughout the midwest with the exception of the Chicago/Milwaukee metro areas, and maybe Detroit. Isn't it more of a rural thing than a regional one- the south happens to be more rural than the north. Oh well, I live in Chicago and probably only hear country music when Faith Hill does the introduction to Sunday Night Football games.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:43 AM

260 posts, read 1,038,819 times
Well, you know how people can be- they want diversity in all things EXCEPT when people disagree with them politically, or in tastes of music, or in religion. THEN they desire conformity. BTW, if B-N is so conservative then why DID McLean County go for Obama in the election? I seriously doubt the voters in Le Roy, Colfax, Downs, Towanda or Merna put him over the top there. Obviously there is a deeper issue at play here.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:21 PM

Well if over 1/2 the songs sung are country songs I would not call that diverse. Especially since country is a pretty narrow genre compared to rock. And when someone is going to shove their redneck agenda (Green Day anyone?) down my throat, then I do not call that diversity. Why don't you go to Los Angeles and have a Hispanic call you a gringo and mistreat you, there is diversity for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or