U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 05:20 PM

607 posts, read 1,140,480 times

Advertisements

In a profile of Blagojevich in last February's Chicago Magazine, writer David Bernstein reported:
Privately, a few people who know the governor describe him as a "sociopath," and they insist they're not using hyperbole. State representative Joe Lyons, a fellow Democrat from Chicago, told reporters that Blagojevich was a "madman" and "insane."

Eric Zorn reminded us of this today on the Trib's website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 07:36 PM

5,762 posts, read 9,523,204 times
Why'd the voters of Illinois vote for a corrupt madman, anyhow?

Old 12-09-2008, 08:53 PM

309 posts, read 151,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Not all Illinois voters did. But for decades the slogan of the Chicago political machine has been, Vote Early and Vote Often.

Corruption, anyone?

Old 12-09-2008, 09:17 PM

20,005 posts, read 65,476,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Its the Illinois way!

Old 12-09-2008, 10:18 PM

15,587 posts, read 21,119,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfiend View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with this.

Frankly, a lot of the indictment seems like politicking as usual. Since no money or appointments changed hands, I wonder what the legality is of just insinuating compensation for specific appointments.

What politician doesn't maneuver for their own gain?

I know the feds don't move without almost ironclad certainty of conviction, but I gotta wonder if some of these charges might not stick.

That said, this guy is such an incompetent governor and has mucked up this state so badly, it only serves us citizens to get him out of office.
Did you read the criminal complaint at all? Did you read the transcripts of the wire taps?

Here read it from this link (PDF):

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...2/43789434.pdf

Last edited by Avengerfire; 12-09-2008 at 10:35 PM..

Old 12-10-2008, 10:24 AM

287 posts, read 938,687 times
Skip down to page 68, where it gets interesting. Since Obama won't give $ to Blago for his vacant senate seat, Blago says "F*** them!" Nice.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:07 AM

296 posts, read 1,019,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Did you read the criminal complaint at all? Did you read the transcripts of the wire taps?

Here read it from this link (PDF):

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...2/43789434.pdf
I'd already read it. His actions are despicable, no doubt, and I'm not defending Blago, I'm just saying if you step back and look objectively, I have to wonder what the actual criminal charges will be. Conspiracy to maybe commit corruption?

The facts are, this is talk. Unethical talk, talk of corruption, but talk. No money changed hands, no actual deals were worked, just talk.

Where are the charges from all the investigations of previous pay to play? Not one mention anywhere in the criminal complaint. I find that odd is all.

Ryan took money for his own personal use, gave contracts out, actually GOT paid. Blago may have done these things, and it sounds like he intended to, but actual personal gain is NOT outlined in this complaint.

I personally think Fitzgerald may have jumped the gun a bit. I'm no lawyer, but I have to wonder if waiting for more might have been more beneficial to the case against Blago.

Just my take.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:48 PM

12,920 posts, read 20,990,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfiend View Post

I personally think Fitzgerald may have jumped the gun a bit. I'm no lawyer, but I have to wonder if waiting for more might have been more beneficial to the case against Blago.

Just my take.
Fitzgerald will be out of a job on January 20th. I would agree that it would have been better to see who paid how much for the Senate seat prior to the indictment. However, there might not have been an indictment NEXT year.

I wonder whether the governor will be removed from office.

My friends from out of state are really surprised of this news. The friends from Illinois are not.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:59 PM

14,827 posts, read 23,615,910 times
It is interesting for us in other states. Makes some of us wonder if the politicos in Illinois aren't as good at covering their crimes as our guys or are they just plain crooked. With the Govonator in California at least we can be assured he isn't doing the job for the money. Seems to have plenty of his own money. It is a surprise to hear how your govonor and former gov's have faired during their terms.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:13 PM

296 posts, read 1,019,264 times
If he's been doing it, and everyone thinks he has, Blago clearly is good at it, since he's been accused of giving contracts, giving jobs, taking money, etc. over the past 5 years, yet there are absolutely NO official charges that date before these wire taps in November--and even those don't directly point to actual contracts being given or money changing hands.

George Ryan they had dead to rights. He took $, benefits, and handed out contracts for compensation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois