Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 10:04 PM

260 posts, read 1,141,061 times

Advertisements

The threads are cross-linked to the separate information pages for each town. I assume someone went to a page and replied to a thread linked there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 07:09 PM

198 posts, read 819,193 times
Aurora isn't a bad option if you get into the right school district, even if you send your kids catholic, you need to get a good school district for resale. You probably targeted Aurora because of your price range. You can get a nice home for under 300K there - 4bedrooms, 2baths, basement. I went to catholic grammer school (holy angels) in West Aurora and loved it. In 7th grade my family moved to Wheaton (church on every corner but not many catholic churches) and went to St. Mikes (public schools were actually better in Wheaton, more funding). I went to a catholic high school - Benet Academy, one of the best catholic schools in the country which is competitive, 99% go to college (I think only one kid didn't go to college in my class of 350). Catholic high school will run you 7-10K a year, even more at some of the premier ones in the city and close in suburbs like River Forest and Wilmette.
Aurora has two train stations, one downtown and one at Route 59. Live by the route 59 station or by the new Star line which will take commuters to the 59 station, even all the way to O'Hare.
As a teacher you will have plenty of option out in the far west suburbs because of all the building, there are new schools everywhere - even a new high school slated for district 204 - Naperville's school district that extends into Aurora. Naperville just built a new catholic church & school (All Saints Academy). It feeds into my high school.
WARNING - if you teach in a Chicago Public School you need to live in the city, it is required. You cannot live in the burbs and commute. All city employees are required to live in the city by the terms of their employment contract. Catholic schools do not have the same restriction. I have many friends that live in the city and send their kids to catholic schools, they are very happy with their schools. I have a friend who's husband is a cop in the city so she has to live there, she is catholic, sends her kids to catholic school, she is a real estate broker so if you live in the city, she can help you find a nice home in a safe neighborhood (by all the cops and firemen) and tell you all about the catholic schools and communities.

I will pray that God guides you in this decision and that you find the faith community you want. Welcome.

Last edited by OakBrookMom; 02-03-2007 at 07:19 PM..

Old 02-05-2007, 11:10 PM

3 posts, read 10,439 times
Default NEED HELP MOVING FROM NYC TO lLLINOIS REPLY

Let me say that I woun't recommend Aurora as my first choice ( or my last choice to live. Worked in that community and couldn't wait to be transferred out.

It has a popluation of 143,000 people. Aurora is enjoying a population has increased more than 40 percent between 1990 and 2000. Businesses continue to move and expand into the area. It has a colorful, some would label it progress in attitude which is not always considered a good thing if you are trying to bring your family up with more traditional values.

As to information on it, Aurora is the last stop of the Metra BNSF (Green Line)
www.metrarail.com/has (broken link) a great map of its services to out lying Chicago burgs and towns. Unless you plan to live in the greater Chicago metrapolitian area, you will need a car. Transportation out of the city is few and far between.
Travel from Aurora to downtown by car would be anywhere from one and one half hours to three hours each way, depending on traffic, construstion and weather. By the way, if you are thinking ouf moving to the northern part of Illinois (North of I-80 which runs clear across the state) you should know for that area their are only two seasons. Illinoisians call them Winter and Construction. If you aren't delayed by weather is because its nice enough for them to finally get back to work, and construction will delay you.

I saw where someone posted that Wheaton had the most churches. It is a community of 56,000 residence and a great place to raise a family. If true, Lemont, a smaller community of about 13,000, falls second to it as it has more Churches per polulation than any community in Illinois. It has more Catholic churches than can be counted on one hand. It is called the "City of Hope" with a large Polish and Slovic community of hard working people. It is a smaller community that still maintains it quaintess. The new I-355 extension should be near complete by the summer of 2008 and goes through Lemont. Lemont is on the Metra HC Brown line.

Ask your local librarian if they have access to America’s Newspapers: This database offers the online version of newspapers from all around the United States. Most articles are available in full text format. Included is the Chicago Tribune (1985+), the Chicago Sun Times (1986+), and Historical Chicago Tribune Archive (1900-1984). I am not sure about the Aurora newspaper or if it still has one. It is a great source to help you research any community you are interested in moving.

Illinois has lots to offer as a place to live. It is home to the Lions Club International (Oak Brook) the worlds largerest volunteer humanitarian organizaton, which tells you alot about the people and their willingness help others. Illlinois has volunteer organization of all shapes and sizes, and a winning spirit, if not winning teams. People are loyal, you have to be to keep prfessional baseball parks full and football statiums packed when they haven't had winning seasons in years. Like New York, it is the melting pot of Central USA and has diverse communities.

You should find what you looking for in Illinois. I came back, like Dorothy, said, "There's no place like home " and home is where you heart lies peacefully. You'll find that here.

Safe journey................

Old 02-05-2007, 11:22 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Lindy View Post
Travel from Aurora to downtown by car would be anywhere from one and one half hours to three hours each way, depending on traffic, construstion and weather.
This is ridiculous. When the roads are clear you can make it from Aurora to the loop in about 35 to 40 minutes. Even during the worst rush-hour traffic it's about 1.5 hours.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:29 AM

6 posts, read 28,099 times
I live in Matteson IL., south suburbs, 200 yards from the metra train. Quiet street, 40 to 55 minute train ride to the city. Not to excited about the concrete and steel myself. It's nice to be close enough to go downtown if I so desire. Stay south of the city, that way you can not be associated with the Cubs. Go White Sox.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:46 PM

677 posts, read 4,198,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What is it with all these months-old threads getting revived out of nowhere?
I've been looking at the dates on the replies, wondering the same thing, and I noticed there is one member who is bringing up all these old threads by replying and boasting about his town. It's great that you love where you live - so do many of us here. Save it for active threads, please.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:54 PM

21 posts, read 98,897 times
Hello! I live in Gurnee IL, next to Grayslake. Both great towns to raise a family, both with Catholic parishes. Gurnee's school district is wonderful.
Property taxes in Gurnee a little better than the other neighborhoods around because of Great America (Six Flaggs Park), Gurnee Mills Outlet Mall. Close to I94 which will take you to O'Hare Airport in 30 minutes (w/out trafic) or Milwaukee WI Airport in 40 minutes. Downtown Chicago is about 35 miles and driving will take you about 50 minutes (w/out traffic)
Good luck on your search!

Old 06-04-2007, 03:46 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This is ridiculous. When the roads are clear you can make it from Aurora to the loop in about 35 to 40 minutes. Even during the worst rush-hour traffic it's about 1.5 hours.
I usually agree with you, but here I have to disagree. There have been several times where it has taken me well over 2 hours to get downtown from Rt. 59 on 88. Last time I went to the UC it took me 2.5 hours from the Winfield Rd exit. 2.5 frickin hours!!!! I missed a few minutes of the 1st period. Boy was I pissed off!

Old 08-05-2011, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,041 times
Talking Aurora!

Hello friend,
I read one of your responses to an Aurora post from a few years go. I was wondering if you were still living there. And what you would say the housing near the La Chicanita Bakery on Jackson Street would be like?

Thank you kindly for your time,
Tshko

Old 08-09-2011, 03:50 PM

7 posts, read 10,366 times
honestly, i would reconsider your decision. In general, ILLINOIS SUCKS!!!!
everything is expensive. starting with gas. IL still holds nr. 1 in terms of those prices. Houses nice but soooo expensive. sales tax- give me a break- 10%. Govt. corrupted to the max and keep ripping people off left and right literally every year. I'll try to find an article i read few days online about more and more people moving out of this state. Im not surprised there. Theres no future for many especially in todays economy. I wish you all the best!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois