Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 02:42 PM

81 posts, read 301,525 times

Advertisements

Hi! We'll be visiting my hubby's sister in April in Macomb, IL.... I have 5 and 7 year old boys... one's a science freak and the other is VERY ACTIVE! Any suggestions on some great one-day side trips we can take to keep them entertained? We are very budget-minded as hubby is out of work right now.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 06:06 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,125,587 times
There is a great observatory in Peoria your science kid will love. Otherwise I woild Google realtors in Macomb and ask what's available. The entrance to the observatory, I think, is on Lake Street betweem University and Sheridan Road. It is north of War Memorial (US 150).

Old 01-20-2009, 10:16 AM

69 posts, read 159,162 times
I live near Macomb, and I can't think of anything within an hours drive that would fit your criteria. Peoria is probably your best best, it's a little over an hour drive. WIU is your best bet for something to do in Macomb, but I don't know of anyting going on at that time of year.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the tips! We might splurge on a hotel and head down to St. Louis to go to the zoo and museums around there... seems to be a lot to do there that is not too pricey... my mother-in-law is going also (age 70) and has never seen the arch, so she'll get a kick out of going there. I'll have to check into Peoria a bit more to see what's there in case we decide to stay closer to their home, though. Anyway, thanks again!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:48 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,125,587 times
Peoria has the top rated Glen Oak Zoo and arboretum. Peoria also has a large park system. Riverfront. The observation tower in Peoria Heights. Theaters: The Tuesday matinee's used to be very inexpensive. Got cameras for the kids?. Grandview Drive in Peoria Heights is a photo heaven. State owned wildlife park not very far north of Peoria on IL Route. 29 (NE Adams St.) Wonderful Navtive American Museum in Lewistown; it's interactive. Roller Skate rink in Pekin on IL RT 9.. Pekin Mineral Springs park and Lagoon in Pekin on Court street is awesome. The miniture golf might be open. The river cruises may or may not be open in April.

If you like good thin crust pizza, try Penguin Tap in Peoria Heights on Prospect. It is not far from the observation tower and Grandview Drive. They have a family dining room seperate from the bar area. This place is famous for its pizza, but there is also a regular menu. Deweiller Park in Peoria has hiking trails. There is also an indoor and outdoor mall. Peoria is a four hour drive from Chicago or St.Louis. Kida nad parks go together naturally.

There is a rock climbing wall for kids somewhere in Bloomington. It also has Miller Park Zoo, one of the two oldest zoological parks in the nation. The other is Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago.

St. Louis has the Arch and the Budweiser/Anheiser-Busch farm where the famous Budweiser horses are stabled. The Budweiser horses and Peora Park District can be Googled.

Between Peora and St. Louis is the state capital and New Salem -- historical Lincoln landmarks.

Springfield and Bloomignton are about an hour from Peoria.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:56 PM

Wow! All great ideas... thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois