U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 02:03 PM

6,546 posts, read 13,706,839 times

Advertisements

Peoria....anything to do for young professionals? Is there even one or two streets that are walkable like a smaller scale of what you would see in Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 04:53 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,912,092 times
I think it depends upon where you want to walk and why. Parking and walking to a downtown bar or club is different than walking around the waterfront at night. Peoria is progressive. it has history, it has culture, it has scenery. It has gambling, dancing, girly cluba, boy clubs, jazz clubs and country clubs. It's upscale and downtown. The park district offers classes to teach or take. If you like nature we have 12,000 years of it. You can watch eagles, hunt and fish, and if you are brave you can sleep with the wolves. If not you can attend movies, symphony, live theater, museums, observatory, climb the Lookout Tower, or participate in community events. Peoria is diverse in culture and religion. We don't much care what you worship or whom as long as you keep it to yourself. Peoria can be as liberal or as conservative as you choose. Tne size of Peoria when compared to Chicago is a thumbnail, but it has a lot to offer for its size.

Got question? IM me.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:30 PM

7 posts, read 19,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Peoria....anything to do for young professionals? Is there even one or two streets that are walkable like a smaller scale of what you would see in Chicago?
Well that really depends on waht you are looking to do?
Peoria, as mentioned by linicx, is a growing city and has a lot to offer. The Downtown Riverwalk Area has several resturants and bars withing a few blocks of each other. A few parks, The Civic Center and are currently in the makings of building a 138 million dollar museum and a 102 million dollar hotel within the downtown area.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:15 AM

The Peoria Park District manages 60+ parks from thousands of acres to one block. There is a zoo, botanica, ice skate, hockey, swimming, tennis courts, baseball diamonds, summer theater, bankshelll, marina, golf courses, picnic areas, hiking and walking trails, open space to fly model airplanes, and a few things I haven't seen yet. The PPD also offers courses A-Z you can take or you can teach. There is shopping and dining and plenty of it. Like lake cruises or rgambling. Peoria has it too.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:05 AM

38 posts, read 101,038 times
Default Peoria

What are the good and safe places to live in Peoria?

Thanks,

Old 01-21-2009, 11:08 AM

If I were going to live in Peoria today I would look in two places. Anywhere north of War Mamorial Drive (US 150) or in Peoria Heights which is also north of War Memorial.

I also like Metamora, Morton, Washington, and Eureka. These towns are further away from Peoria but they are nice smaller towns with good management overall. .

If hospitals are a consideration look to Peoria, Pekin, Eureka, Canton and Havana for a total of seven hospitals in cental Illnois. I believe Havana and Eureka have the only two hosptilas that are not contracted with Peoria hospitals.

Downtown Peoria is basically a financial and legal district. It's slowly,.building out to include a true nightlife, but it hasn't arrived yet and with the economy it may not for some time. A word to the wise is use caution and good sense if alone and no foot traffic is about at night and be aware of your surroundings. The hotel renovation will occur quicker than the Caterpillar that wants some funding from the city before they build a museum. Even then it probably will not be open at night.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,457 times
Hi Everyone,
I was looking for some information and I thought i might be able to get some help here. Im a 20 almost 21 year old girl looking to find a place of my own. I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on the bills I would possibly be paying and about how much they would be for someone my age. I just moved from nh so its all a bit different. I am currently residing at my parents house. Do I have to pay for cold water If the rent includes hot water? Well I thank everyone very much for helping me!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:14 PM

Generally speaking rentals - and it depends upon the landlord - do not include water, gas or lights.

Utilities are expensive. A lot depends upon where your live, how well the building is insulated, how hot you set the thermostat, how large the building is. And how much siub-zero or smothering hot weather we get. Utilities can run from $200-600 per month without a deposit and good credit. I don't know if age has anything to do with it or not. Before you makr that jump, understand to live in a safe area in Peoria you will pay a minimum of $700 a month for a small apartment. Do look in the rent apartments in the ad secondtion in the Journal Star.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:25 PM

196 posts, read 967,532 times
I lived in Timberlane apartments before. Cheap and safe. Just over $400 for a 1 bedroom, older unit. Water and trash was included.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:49 AM

Let me say in self defense I always owned in Peoria. I based my infor from ads in the newspaper. I was surprised at the obnoxious prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois