U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:52 PM

5,820 posts, read 12,257,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I didn't miss a thing you were looking for young white professionals in bars. You won't stay in Peoria. It was built on the back of industry and blue collar workers. Peoria is a very diverse community but you don't see it. You did not look for museums. You looked for bars. You did not learn a thing. You saw sprawl, farmland, no nightlife on the two deadest days of the week. What did you expect .. chopped liver?

You are young and have a lot to learn about life and people of all colors. I suspect your journey will be painful. Take your other job offer. Peoria has nothing to offer you.
One thing is for sure. You dont know me or anything about my race, ethinicty, or backround. Please do not tell me who or what I want to hang out with, and dont turn this into a race bait, when I mentioned NOTHING about race. Sorry I didnt like Peoria, but I stand by my opinions, which I think were well versed. If you want to talk race, let me tell you that I saw nothing but white and black in Peoria. The southside was black, and everywhere else was cotton white. Oh, I did see one Asian family at the Flat Top Grill Wed night. I spoke to the bartender who was a very nice guy...only working there bc he lost his job in IT. He reaffirmed much of what I saw...very few high end clubs and restaurants, very little diversity, and not much of a indie music scene or culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 03:01 AM

11,544 posts, read 23,639,574 times
Actually I don't care anything about you. You have one 24 hour bar-hopping stint and I have a lifetime of experience in Peoria. I think I know which one of us knows more about Peoria.

Last edited by linicx; 01-25-2009 at 03:07 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-25-2009, 05:52 PM

7 posts, read 18,887 times
[quote=stx12499;7129999]No thanks. I drove by all that area and stayed in the Jameson Suites. I can get those chains in anysuburb USA. Even here in Louisville metro there are a good 5 malls like Northwood. I toured nearly all of Peoria, including the south side. I didnt tour much east of the river, except right on the waterfront by embassy suites. everyone I talked to kept touting washington as a nice area, but when I looked at it on a map, it looked like a blip of tiny sprawl and I didnt think it was worth the drive to check out.

True enough, sorry i forgot you were from a bigger city. Just figured i could try to help out in some way. And i know how you feel. Im a freshman at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, but my house is in Pekin (Just south of Peoria) and there really isnt a whole lot for young adults to do.
But Washington is actually pretty nice, regardless of what the map says. It is growing like crazy and even some newer maps do not include everything in Washington yet.
Anywho, sorry your first trip to peoria wasnt exactly impressive. Best of luck to you though, wherever you end up.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:34 AM

5,820 posts, read 12,257,984 times
[quote=cubsfan1;7167753]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
No thanks. I drove by all that area and stayed in the Jameson Suites. I can get those chains in anysuburb USA. Even here in Louisville metro there are a good 5 malls like Northwood. I toured nearly all of Peoria, including the south side. I didnt tour much east of the river, except right on the waterfront by embassy suites. everyone I talked to kept touting washington as a nice area, but when I looked at it on a map, it looked like a blip of tiny sprawl and I didnt think it was worth the drive to check out.

True enough, sorry i forgot you were from a bigger city. Just figured i could try to help out in some way. And i know how you feel. Im a freshman at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, but my house is in Pekin (Just south of Peoria) and there really isnt a whole lot for young adults to do.
But Washington is actually pretty nice, regardless of what the map says. It is growing like crazy and even some newer maps do not include everything in Washington yet.
Anywho, sorry your first trip to peoria wasnt exactly impressive. Best of luck to you though, wherever you end up.

Thats ok, I appreciate your help. The area of War Memorial looks like the suburbs of any city! Its a nice area really, just not my cup of tea. I want urban. With the exception of upscale independent boutiques, restaurants, and lounges, the War Memorial drive area of Peoria conatins about every basic chain one could ask for. Again, it is just not my style. Linicx acts like I am crazy by saying Peoria is not a place for young professionals. Glad you and I are on the same page (even though I am much older than you).

I actually just "toured" Washington on Google street view. Seems like a nice area....if you are 40 with 2 kids! The street view images my be old, and its no substitute for an actual tour, but you can get an idea, coupled with mapping out retailers.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:19 AM

I do not think you are crazy Styx, by any means, but I do think bars are not the place to be looking for young professionals on Monday night. As for the under 21 in Peoria - at night there probably isn't much offered except concerts, family events, theater, movies, food, school, work, church or the seasonal sports.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:20 PM

7 posts, read 18,887 times
[quote=stx12499;7173736]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan1 View Post

Thats ok, I appreciate your help. The area of War Memorial looks like the suburbs of any city! Its a nice area really, just not my cup of tea. I want urban. With the exception of upscale independent boutiques, restaurants, and lounges, the War Memorial drive area of Peoria conatins about every basic chain one could ask for. Again, it is just not my style. Linicx acts like I am crazy by saying Peoria is not a place for young professionals. Glad you and I are on the same page (even though I am much older than you).

I actually just "toured" Washington on Google street view. Seems like a nice area....if you are 40 with 2 kids! The street view images my be old, and its no substitute for an actual tour, but you can get an idea, coupled with mapping out retailers.

That is also true. It is a nice place to raise a family, the enitre area is. I think Peoria's biggest problem is that it is building out, and not up, making anywhere outside of downtown seem like a suburb. They are trying to rebuild downtown, but the wonderful state of the economy doesn't exactly help anything.
Again, sorry I wasn't much help, but if you have anymore questions, I will do y best to try to help out. Have a good night.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:13 AM

15 posts, read 37,277 times
Nothing says "I want walkable, urban, independent, etc" like a evening at a chain restaurant at Bland Prairie. Good grief.

I think some of your observations about Peoria are accurate. I also think that the reaction you have received from some is a bit harsh and defensive. I do think you need to take into consideration that this was a Tuesday night, in January. As for all of the shops in the Heights being closed at 9 pm on a Tuesday, the same was true of the 900 N. Michigan mall in Chicago last Saturday night when I walked through on my way to Spiaggia at 8:45.

I drove through the Heights business district on my way home from Bloomington-Normal the night you were here at about 10 p.m., and there were quite a few people in the bar at Seven on Prospect. I walked the dog around 9 pm several times over the past few weeks down that strip and Sullivans has been busy, even early in the week. There are several good restauants over there (all local) and it's unfortunate that you didn't try one and instead opted for a chain restaurant at the mall. A former chef from Alinea in Chicago just opened a new fine dining restaurant in the Heights this week that will feature local organic ingredients and molecular gastronomy.

I'm certainly not trying to sell you on Peoria - and I'm not from here so I don't have any personal attachment to the area. Having lived in Peoria during the last year, and in South Bend, IN for 3 while I was in grad school, I can tell you that I think your assessment that the 2 areas are similar is, in my view, inaccurate. I think Peoria has far more to offer someone with your stated interests. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with your job search!

Old 01-29-2009, 01:45 PM

It is unfair to compare any mid-size city against metropolitan giants like Chicago, LA, NY and, Miami. It's like trying to compare the Grand Canyon to a stream, or a canoe to a yacht. 100-1 is lousy odds anyway. If you do not want to rub elbows with blue collar types in Peoria, join the CCP.

Last edited by linicx; 01-29-2009 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-30-2009, 01:05 PM

269 posts, read 943,747 times
[quote=stx12499;7173736]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan1 View Post

Well if you came to Peoria hoping to find a total urban enviroment, you really set yourself for a let down. But even though Peoria isn't Chicago (and believe me, that is fine with us) the city is by far the most urban place in the state besides the obvious. In fact, the only city that even slighty comes close to Peoria is Springfield, and that is stretching it. Peoria maybe growing out instead of up, but we are the only city in the state that supports this method of growth, but still keeps it's core in check. Look for that in Rockford, Aurora, Naperville, Joliet, Elgin, Shaumburg, Moline/Rock Island, B-N, C-U, and Springfield. You won't find it!

Old 01-30-2009, 03:59 PM

The mod's lofty expectations of a small city with a bad reputation preceeded his untimely discovery of early week nightflife in Peoria. It prompted his unfair negative critique because he made the wrong decision and was mad at Peoria. All he had to do was ask first but he didn't. Personally, after the opening salvo of negative comments, I always wondered what his thought process was that brought him here in the first place.

He should have figured out for himself that an old rivertown with a history of distilleries, breweries and meat packing plants that was surrounded by companies like Caterpillar, Keystone and AMD, as well as farmers, cattle, stockyards, feedlots, and steel yards would not be urbane. But I guess not. The upscale young professional round peg will never fit in our blue collar town. We're way too square, and we like it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois