U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 08:14 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,400,212 times

Advertisements

Isn't this topic being beaten to death? :\
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 12:09 AM

148 posts, read 525,464 times
Default Peoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I am an urban kind of guy interviewing for a job here. I know it is a small town, and has a bad reputation, but are there any pedestrian corridors along the lines of a Broad Ripple in Indy, or Bardstown in Louisville, or any stores that wouldnt be out of place on Clark St in Chicago?

I will be in town tmrw (Tues and will leave wed). Are there any bars where young professionals hang out on a Tuesday night? Speaking of which, what are the good bars for someone in their 20's? Are there any historic neighborhoods I should check out? Street names would be great. How about a good local coffee shop?
Hey just ran across this post, first sorry about all the static you received for posting your impression of Peoria. Some people are very defensive about their hometown (and it's an internet forum too ). I can sympathize with some of what you wrote. But Peoria also has some charm once you get past first impressions.

Anyway, although it’s well past the day you visited, if you happen to pass through this way again here's a few suggestions:

Historic Neighborhoods & a few worthy sights -
1) High Street - huge Victorian mansions from the rich distillery days and
a 500 year old Bur Oak tree
2) Moss Ave and the area between Moss Ave and Bradley U
3) Downtown - Main St, Madison St (& a few others that escape me)
4) Roanoak and Randolph Ave (Just above St. Francis Hospital). A nice
little historic neighborhood tucked away in an unfortunately blighted
area.
5) Grandview Drive in Peoria Heights (beautiful view of the Illinois River valley, + a few elaborate homes).
6) Springdale Cemetary – Cemetary, I know it sounds weird, but it is a historic cemetery full of 19th century monuments from the days of the rich distillers and German settlers. It’s also in a unique peaceful wooded setting.
6) Warehouse district just south of downtown - although use some
common sense caution in this area.
7) There are some nice older historic houses just north of downtown too,
but again, this area suffers from urban blight so use common sense
caution.
There's a blogger than runs a fun little blog that can show you some of the little gems of Peoria. His blog is Name This Peoria Landmark

Pedestrian Corridors - City hall always has ideas in the works, but so far only there's really only the following:
1) Riverfront walk from roughly Water & Hamilton st to Water & State
street
2) Peoria Heights along prospect.

Local Coffee Shops -
1) One World Cafe - Main & University St by Bradley U
2) Leaves and Beans - Prospect Ave in Peoria Heights
3) 401 Water Street Cafe (address same as name)
4) City News Cafe - Main Street downtown
5) Panache - Sheridan Ave (although more of a stripmall location)
6) Kade's Cafe - War Memorial (although also in a tiny stripmall)

As far as good bars for someone in their 20's, Peoria just honestly does not have the best scene for the young working professional (especially the single young professional), but a few good bars to check out:
1) Kelleher’s – Water Street
2) Martini’s – Water Street in the old train station
3) Jimmy’s – Farmington Road
4) Sullivan’s – Peoria Heights on Prospect
5) Rhythm Kitchen – On Water Street
6) Rhodell’s brew pub – not really a hang out spot, but great beer brewed in house. You can also brew your own beer
7) Eamon Patricks’s – SW Jefferson St.
8)Bar Louie – Shops of Grand Prairie
9)Jonah’s Oyster Bar - 601 N Main St, across the river in East Peoria.

Part of the reason Peoria seemed dead was because you visited on a Tues night. You have to remember, Peoria’s a city of about 120,000. There’s just not enough people here to have a roaring time every night of the week. If you had visited on a Sat night, you would have found a much busier scene.

Peoria’s is not a large city, nor a destination city for those looking to move. It doesn’t have a million art/culture/entertainment opportunities staring you in the face like Chicago. However, when you go out and turn over a few rocks that’s where you find some of Peoria’s charm, there are some real gems just out of plain sight. Peoria is an old industrial river city that’s been trying to remake itself ever since the glacier of industry began retreating 30 years ago. The city’s made some progress and avoided the fate of some other industrial Illinois cities, but still has a ways to go.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:50 AM

2 posts, read 8,234 times
My daughter has got residency at Saint Francis hospital starting July01.Can anyone suggest good housing areas at walkable distance from the hospital.?

Old 03-19-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygold View Post
My daughter has got residency at Saint Francis hospital starting July01.Can anyone suggest good housing areas at walkable distance from the hospital.?
While there are a few decent housing options within walkable distance to Saint Francis, if she's working at night, it's not really the best area to be walking around, especially for a woman by herself. The hospital grounds are fine, but the surrounding area is sketchy.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 11,649 times
I'm interviewing at Caterpillar soon, moving from one of the best neighborhoods in Michigan for a lot of reasons (awesome shopping, awesome bike paths, awesome schools), and am looking for the best place to live in the Peoria area for myself and my wife. Don't care too much about bars, but places to bike / walk / work out / swim / boat and not feel like I'm trapped by my car-trip in cornfields are important. Also hoping to not be sucking dirty air. Where should I look?

Old 03-31-2010, 08:45 PM

11,544 posts, read 23,661,507 times
I would put you in Peoria Heights. 4 stoplights from major shopping; 2 lights from the hospital. Beautiful scenery on a bluff overlooking the Illinois River. River cruise, boat launch and sailing nearby. Excellednt K=12 school system with low student to teacjer ratio. Shops, good food and several walkiable/biking areas nearby. It is in the heart of a 9,000 acre 2010 Goldl Medal winning park district which offers most everything you can ask for in outdoor environment. Riverfront Plaza has a fitness center with swimming fitness cente, etc. Upscale shopping, dining, performing arts, opera. ballet. symphony, juried Art Fair, etc.. Buiness clubs. country clubs. yacht club. skeet club, fraternal organizations. Four hospitals, medical school, natural health, university, 4x more doctors than the national average. Two malls, a dozen shopping centers, 6 grocery stores, natural foods, a seasonal famers market, dry cleaners, furrier, jewelers, libraries, book stores and more.

Peoria is a town of many colors, many occupations, diverse culture and many religions. It is the oldest settlement on the Illinois River. It is a river city and not so much political. It is a medical, financial and technological regional hub. Despite the unemployment figures it has a stable economy.

Illinois is the second largest producer of corn in the United Sataes. I don't care where you drive, you will see cornfields. PH does not have a cornfield, nor is there nearby.

I will suggest that if you wish to drive betweeen point A and point B in Illinois, with Peoria area as your destination, and you wish to avoid as much farms and ranches as possible, that once you hit 1-80 you turn west to Princeton and then turn south on 1L 29 into Peoria. You will see 200 miles of Illinois that Interstate driver do not know exist. I think it is avery pleasant diversion from nigh speed four land driving. Peroia is about half-way between Chicago and st. Louis. One thing to know about peoria is that Su -Tu nights are normally quiet. If yoiu chose IL 29 you will pass through part of Peoria Heights on your way to downtown Peoria. PH is upscale amd averu desorab;e address. Here are clips from Peoria Heights and the Riverplex
Peoria Heights Chamber of Commerce
Virtual Tour Peoria Riverplex
Enjoy a historic hotel in downtown Peoria, Illinois. (http://www.hotelperemarquette.com/html/peoria-il-hotel.asp - broken link)
Very nice accomodations but a lousy website.
Rad.com/bbpackage
The Block is in the process of being developed
Build the Block

a a

Last edited by linicx; 07-29-2010 at 01:55 AM..

Old 04-03-2010, 03:05 AM

2 posts, read 8,234 times
Default Housing near St Francis Hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scio42 View Post
While there are a few decent housing options within walkable distance to Saint Francis, if she's working at night, it's not really the best area to be walking around, especially for a woman by herself. The hospital grounds are fine, but the surrounding area is sketchy.
Pl tell me where one should look for good housing in a safe area walkable / thru bus to get to St Francis hospital.

Which areas are good for housing North , West ,South or East of St Francis Hospital ? If you can name some streets it would be of great help.Thanks.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:34 PM

97 posts, read 212,138 times
Having grown up on Toluca, visiting Peoria on a regular basis growing up, reporting for drill on a monthly basis...it's weird to hear Peoria talked about in this fashion!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:39 PM

11,544 posts, read 23,661,507 times
Default Its sketchy

Quote:
Pl tell me where one should look for good housing in a safe area walkable / thru bus to get to St Francis hospital.

Which areas are good for housing North , West ,South or East of St Francis Hospital ? If you can name some streets it would be of great help.Thanks.
1- There is no express bus within downtown. They all make stops

2. Tbe areas near the hospitals downtown are not walkable alone.

3. Most of the buses stop at 11pm or sooner.

4. Best bet would be Peoria Heights. It's about 3 miles from St. Francis. It does have walkable areas.

5. City Lity is the Peoria city bus. I don't know that any bus goes by/to the hospitals.

6. If you work in downtown Peoria you need a car.

Last edited by linicx; 07-29-2010 at 01:57 AM..

Old 04-05-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Well, if she really wants to live downtown, there's some decent apartments and condo's on Water St and in the Jefferson building on Jefferson st., however in my opinon they are way, way too pricey for Peoria. Again as for walking to St. Francis from there, daytime would be fine, but not alone at night.

Next closest option would be the rental housing around Bradley University. I wouldn't advise walking to St. Francis from there, but there is a bus the runs down Main St that stops at St. Francis. Keep in mind though the buses don't run from 11:30 pm to 5am.

Next closest options would be across the river in East Peoria, Peoria Heights or further in Peoria. The decent areas to live in Peoria are generally the far west side and north of War Memorial. I've known some people that have lived in the following apartment complexes and liked them OK: Covington Court, Timberlane Apts, Old Orchard, Hidden Oaks, Prairie Lake, Westport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois