Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 01:48 PM

144 posts, read 742,292 times

Advertisements

Now darnit... I am only going to chime in here b/c I love Starved Rock - I moved from IL to Alaska and I still consider Starved Rock breathtakingly beautiful... and very accessible.

There is something to be said for being able to jump in the car, get out to Starved Rock and get some beautiful views and air and hiking within an easy distance. If ya' want to get on a plane and yada yada... that's another story.

Where else are ya' going to go in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 02:56 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,131,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Alaska View Post
Where else are ya' going to go in the area?
Matthiessen State Park, Apple River Canyon SP, Shawnee National Forest, Lowden-Miller State Forest, Garden of the Gods SP, Mississippi Palisades SP, Galena, Illinois Beach SP, etc, etc. All beautiful in my eyes.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:23 PM

144 posts, read 742,292 times
OK...OK... lots of options... fine... but Starved Rock is still up there at the top of my list! Thanks for reminding me of all the beautiful places.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:29 PM

202 posts, read 268,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Matthiessen State Park, Apple River Canyon SP, Shawnee National Forest, Lowden-Miller State Forest, Garden of the Gods SP, Mississippi Palisades SP, Galena, Illinois Beach SP, etc, etc. All beautiful in my eyes.
And White Pines, and Castle Rock, and Buffalo Rock, and Lake Argyle, and Franklin Creek, and Rock Cut, and Shabbona Lake...

Starved Rock has actually done MAJOR trail renovations for safety in the past decade or so, though, as somebody who grew up in the park. When I was a kid and even in high school, you were really at your own risk through Much of the trails. Lover's Leap and Eagle Cliff overlook used to have not much at all by way of even guardrails, let alone the sturdy plank decks and rails they have now. The Rock itself had very old, rustic steps to even ascend it.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:08 AM

404 posts, read 706,025 times
What happened to my post from 7-15?

All the trails are connected, and it takes about 5 hours to hike from the boat ramp to Point Shelter and back.

It's a great place. There's even free showers at the camp ground.

There was absolutely nothing offensive published in it. Maybe it had something to do with the parking lot or the rope.

Last edited by thepizzaguy; 07-19-2007 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: censorship
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: