U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:32 PM

23 posts, read 85,655 times

Advertisements

Take a look at this. Our summers will be like Arkansas by 2030 and east Texas by 2095! And the winters will get warmer too.

%page_title%

Forget the corn belt. Wheat belt, here we come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 07:39 AM

1,692 posts, read 2,408,580 times
Wow - very entertaining - alotta propaganda there.

A little advice - To help your cause, get the group to change it's name. All credibility of "science" is lost immediatley after reading the name of the group.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:51 AM

245 posts, read 576,426 times
Funny how it's hard to accurately predict what the weather will be next week. Amazing how these "concerned scientists" are tossing out predictions of weather patterns in 2030.

Wonder if any of these scientists are the ones who predicted the iceage that was headed our way back in the 70's.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:20 PM

23 posts, read 85,655 times
Admittedly, though, when 97% of professional climatologists who study climate change agree that major human-caused global warming will occur in the near future, who am I to correct them?

Old 02-08-2009, 05:52 PM

20,005 posts, read 65,498,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreickx View Post
Admittedly, though, when 97% of professional climatologists who study climate change agree that major human-caused global warming will occur in the near future, who am I to correct them?
Go back to any state's weather history and look at record temps... most were set long ago. Sure some have broken recent records, but only by a degree or two in most cases. What does that mean? It means that temps were hotter long ago, too. But then, noone back then was wasting 10s of billions of dollars researching something that doesnt need to be researched. And in the meantime, this entire country has practically been BELOW average as far as temps are concerned. Funny how the Global "Warming" crowd never mentions that.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:35 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,408,580 times
Not sure where 97% figure comes from. But then again the folks drinking the global warming kool aid never had a strong need for facts.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:48 PM

19,341 posts, read 32,209,625 times
The problem is that CO2 concentrations are now at the highest levels in over 800,000 years based on ice core samples. It is projected that CO2 concentrations will reach as high as 650 PPM by the end of this century if the "business as usual" approach continues unabated. Some might argue that "CO2 increases" follow "temperature increases" on the long-term trend lines. This may be true, but now the human generated greenhouse gases are accumulating in excessive concentrations and are forcing the average temperature up anyway. The theory is that we need to stabalize CO2 concentrations at 350 PPM to stabalize the climate. The US can not act alone in this regard, but must work with other countries via diplomacy to develop the necessary technologies and innovative measures to accomplish this. This is a US security issue, global climate issue, human rights issue, and food security issue as well.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-08-2009 at 10:17 PM..

Old 02-08-2009, 09:42 PM

12,929 posts, read 21,007,459 times
Wasn't that the same group that said that we would run out of petroleum - in the 1970s?

Old 02-09-2009, 05:39 AM

11,544 posts, read 23,647,815 times
I think there is time problem when trying to pedict the 'probabilies' of amy event 100 years into the future, let alone twenty-two years from now. Mother Nature is fickle. I lived in an area here one day it was 78 F and the next day it snowed 18". No one believed the local weather. One sunny Sunday I was on the Internet when the modem died! Twenty minutes later the skay was black and we had the worst summer storm in years. Most of the modems in town -ten miles away -were dead too. And thirty minutes after the storm came, it looked like nothing happened until you looked outside and saw uprooted trees. I do not pay much attention to prognosticators. If you live long enough you worry more about eternity than you worry if the world will be another firey planet in 100 years. You alsp learn not to take everything you read as gospel when it is only puffery or tomfoolery. .

Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 AM

19,341 posts, read 32,209,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I think there is time problem when trying to pedict the 'probabilies' of amy event 100 years into the future, let alone twenty-two years from now. Mother Nature is fickle. I lived in an area here one day it was 78 F and the next day it snowed 18". No one believed the local weather. One sunny Sunday I was on the Internet when the modem died! Twenty minutes later the skay was black and we had the worst summer storm in years. Most of the modems in town -ten miles away -were dead too. And thirty minutes after the storm came, it looked like nothing happened until you looked outside and saw uprooted trees. I do not pay much attention to prognosticators. If you live long enough you worry more about eternity than you worry if the world will be another firey planet in 100 years. You alsp learn not to take everything you read as gospel when it is only puffery or tomfoolery. .
I definitely understand what you are saying, but I will believe the scientific consensus on the issue. Why? The scientists were probably stifled under the anti-science Bush administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois