Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:28 PM

15 posts, read 118,382 times

Advertisements

I may be getting a good job in Kankakee, but am scared after reading it was voted the worst city in the U.S at one time. I plan on living outside of the city, hopefully in the country and just working in the city itself.
Any opinions? Thank you.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:56 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,366,158 times
All I can say is when I lived in Illinois, everytime I brought up Kankakee the natives would cringe

Went in the town on business a few times. I did cringe a little, but I have seen much worse in my travels
Understand it has major drug issues.

Maybe some local folks can comment

Old 03-15-2007, 10:06 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
Its often rated one of the worst cities in the USA... I think there are far worse cities (ever been to Nogales, Arizona???), but thats just my opinion.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:17 AM

15 posts, read 118,382 times
But WHY is it the worst?
Thank you

Old 03-20-2007, 10:31 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Best advice one can suggest is, go check it out. If you find Kankakee itself is not to your liking, you can always shop around in one of the numerous surrounding communities. You're bound to find something that fits.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:28 PM

67 posts, read 453,279 times
I lived in Kankakee for some years. certain parts of town have major drug problems. The schools, were not the best. Then I moved to Bradley, much better, then to Bourbonnais. The highschool in Bradley/Burbonnais is a community high school shared by both towns. I liked them much better than Kankakee. The three towns are joined together, on one side of the street is Kankakee,the other side is Bradley, then right into Bourbonnais. I now live in Manteno, and while it is only about 10 miles to the north, it is a nice quiet, but fast growing town. As someone has already said, just check it out.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:32 PM

27 posts, read 207,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guvjim View Post
I lived in Kankakee for some years. certain parts of town have major drug problems. The schools, were not the best. Then I moved to Bradley, much better, then to Bourbonnais. The highschool in Bradley/Burbonnais is a community high school shared by both towns. I liked them much better than Kankakee. The three towns are joined together, on one side of the street is Kankakee,the other side is Bradley, then right into Bourbonnais. I now live in Manteno, and while it is only about 10 miles to the north, it is a nice quiet, but fast growing town. As someone has already said, just check it out.
I'd say this is very accurate!

I've been through kankakee on many occasions... and it seems as long as you stay north or outside of the more "urban" areas your just fine.

I had definitely heard some crazy stories about the bad areas from the natives when I had my shop down in st anne . St anne, btw, is just too far out there and too tight knit/small townish for me.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:45 PM

3 posts, read 47,482 times
I've lived there before. If you been on hoobie avenue than you better have ypur eyes open. they can smell fear. And hobbie avanue smells like the paint factory.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 50,559 times
It's not as bad as you'd think. I live in Kankakee... been here all my adult life... I'm 53.

Like many towns, all the retail business moved to the mall by the interstate, leaving the downtown area pretty much ignored. It's coming back now. Lot's of offices. It's the county seat, so many layers are downtown by the courthouse.

Much of the industry left in the 70's, moving to the southern states for the low-wage work force.

Unemployment is high. Being situated close (60 miles) to Chicago, it's hard to duplicate anything down here. Many folks commute.

There are parts of town (residential areas) that tend to be higher crime areas. Same as most towns this size. That's what low income and hopelessness creates. I just don't go there.

The school district is certainly one of our weakest suits.

There is a LOT going on here now... as we speak! New stores/shopping centers, commercial development, new residential subdivision, recreational facilities.... Two new WalMarts breaking ground, new hotels, and perhaps most telling... lots of new banks.

You can get a lot of bang for the buck here. And, we're only a hour from Chicago, so it's close to everything.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 50,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meads View Post
And hobbie avanue smells like the paint factory.
There IS a paint factory at the north end of Hobbie. But you're right... I wouldn't walk down Hobbie... any time of day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois