Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 11:01 PM

169 posts, read 778,203 times

Advertisements

Here we go. I found a source.

http://www.studentsfirst.us/news/con...w.asp?c=134858

There was an $8.5 million settlement to the child with brain damage, $5 million of which was covered by the insurance policy and $3 million had to be covered by taxpayers.

Perhaps that's what they calculated his lifetime cost of care would be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 05:23 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,588 times
Default Check out Edwardsville/Glen Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo View Post
I have a Wife and two middle school aged kids now living in Charlotte, NC. I am getting a new job with a sales territory of just south of Springfiled to the border with KY. I can live anywhere in that area but we are used to the suburban life (neighborhoods) with things to do in a middle/large-sized city. I do not want my Wife and kids to be bored if we live too far away from cultural and youth sports stuff. Schools are of primary importance though. We can afford a house around $350K. Are there any towns that are very family oriented but on the larger size with the things I described? Or, should I just live close to Springfield and drive to/from the southern areas of the state...which I don't mind doing if necessary?
Don't know if you've found a town, but may I recommend Edwardsville, Il? I am a Charlotte native transplanted to here, and Edwardsville reminds me of my home. I love this area. I have 2 kids in elem school here, and we moved here from Texas 4 years ago. Very welcoming community. I live about 5 minutes from I-55, and it takes about an hour and a half to get to Springfield. If you want more info, please post.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:34 AM

66 posts, read 261,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarBelle View Post
Don't know if you've found a town, but may I recommend Edwardsville, Il? I am a Charlotte native transplanted to here, and Edwardsville reminds me of my home. I love this area. I have 2 kids in elem school here, and we moved here from Texas 4 years ago. Very welcoming community. I live about 5 minutes from I-55, and it takes about an hour and a half to get to Springfield. If you want more info, please post.
Yes, we bought in Edwardsville. I looked everywhere in the area and some were too rural (Troy, Highland) and others (O'Fallon) are having growing issues with their schools. A realtor there said that they are having to seperate some classes and grades to go to other schools. I went through the area down there where there's a big mall and the traffic was just like Charlotte...terrible. Although Edwardsville is growing too, they just passed a referendum to build some more new schools. The place feels very small and friendly. Plus, the schools are ranked very, very high in the state. Very nice people as well.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:21 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,588 times
Great! You will love Edwardsville! I've been here 4 years, and I just love it here. What neighborhood did you move to? We are near the new YMCA - nice and close to everything! Glad you came to the area. You'll find the climate similar to Charlotte, and I think St. Louis is a great town. If you need any referrals - docs, pediatricians, dentists, hair stylists, restaurants, etc. - let me know!

jen t

Old 08-12-2007, 09:41 PM

7 posts, read 34,519 times
I grew up in Edwardsville and when we looked to move back to the area we chose Highland. Edwardsville has become a suburb and lost all of its small town charm that i loved so dearly when I lived there. The schools have always been great but the high school is overflowing and cannot handle the 12% increase in population over the past few years. In fact it was pretty much full by the time it was finished and there is no way the taxpayers will agree to another tax hike to build a second high school - which it desperately needs!! The property tax is through the roof as it is - and don’t forget about the real estate that is grossly overpriced!! The reason we chose Highland was because it too has amazing schools, a great community, very laid back and friendly, close to Hwy 70 and terrific neighborhoods - especially for the price!!

Whatever you do - DONT MOVE TO BELLEVILLE!!! We just moved from there is and it is on its way down hill FAST!! All of the grade schools are considered "low income" and are mediocre at best. The neighborhoods are very spotty with great houses on one block and ghettos on the next. The city is trying hard to revive downtown but the area doesn’t support the kind of clientele that the city is trying to draw to the area.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:03 AM

474 posts, read 2,538,206 times
Default Hello Waldo

From 1961 until 1971, I lived in Hickory, North Carolina. I still love NC for its beauty. For that reason, I know you are going to be disappointed in Illinois. However, to give another answer - - Why not consider the Mount Vernon, Illinois area. Mount Vernon is a beautiful very large city. It is also an OTR (Over The Road) trucking metropolis since Interstate 57 and I - 64 intersect there. Very nice nearby towns in proximity to Mt. Vernon are Bonnie, IL... Ina, IL... and Nason, IL. Nason is excellent from an economical point. However, it is a very isolated but still gorgeous community. The Nason residents are lonely people. So they make very good friends, quickly. If living in Nason, one would do all of the family amenities in Mount Vernon - - eleven miles to the NE.
Hope this gives you a few new ideas.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass,

Wheaton, IL &
Cortland, IL

Old 08-13-2007, 10:44 AM

11 posts, read 49,863 times
Smile Weather In Southern Illinois

How is the weather in Southern Illinois as opposed to the Chicago area?
Especially winter weather in the Mount Vernon/Marion area? Do you get much snow? What is the average? I know blizzards must pass through Southern Illinois area but how does it compare to Northern Illinois? Does "Winter" arrive later and "Spring" arrive earlier?

Thanks to everyone who responded previously about areas in Southern Illinois to retire to. My father was born in East Saint Louis and grew up mostly in
Carmi, IL but we were looking toward perhaps areas between Mt. Vernon
and Marion (such as Fairfield, Flora, etc).

Also, I noticed the high amount of sex offenders concentrated in Olney, IL.
Higher percentage than the usual. Any comments to this?

CrochetCrazy

Old 08-13-2007, 11:19 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrochetCrazy View Post

CrochetCrazy
This is a common phenomenon for county seats in rural counties because of sex offenders who list the county jail as their address. Olney is the county seat of Richland County.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:19 PM

7 posts, read 34,519 times
The weather in the Metro-East is a lot milder compared to Chicago. They usually get a lot of snow and the wind is bone chilling in the winter. They get a lot of the heat that we get down here in the summer but because of their placement on the lake their winters are a lot tougher than ours.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:53 PM

3 posts, read 18,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrochetCrazy View Post
How is the weather in Southern Illinois as opposed to the Chicago area?
Especially winter weather in the Mount Vernon/Marion area? Do you get much snow? What is the average? I know blizzards must pass through Southern Illinois area but how does it compare to Northern Illinois? Does "Winter" arrive later and "Spring" arrive earlier?

Thanks to everyone who responded previously about areas in Southern Illinois to retire to. My father was born in East Saint Louis and grew up mostly in
Carmi, IL but we were looking toward perhaps areas between Mt. Vernon
and Marion (such as Fairfield, Flora, etc).

CrochetCrazy
My husband and I moved from the Peoria area to Orchard Township a few years ago. Orchard Township is located in between Flora, Fairfield, Salem, Centralia, and Mount Vernon. The weather here is a bit milder than Peoria's. Spring begins about 1 to 2 weeks earlier and ends about 1 to 2 weeks later. We get snow, but it tends to not last as long. The weather here is much milder than Chicago. Just looking at a map, you can see how much farther south this area is. Marion is farther south, about an hour or more.

Personally, if I was going to live in one of the towns around here, it would be Salem. Salem is much cleaner than Flora and Fairfield, as well as being nicer than Centralia and Mount Vernon. Yet, Salem is located next to I-57 and only 15 minutes from Mount Vernon and only an hour from Fairview Heights, where there is great shopping!

Hope this helps you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois