Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 11:43 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,173,704 times

Advertisements

I live in Oklahoma right now but will be coming to Kankakee for school next year. I'm about to complete my freshman year here. I was just wondering what kind of places I should look for a job in the area (20 minutes or less away). I've worked at a grocery store here since shortly after turning 16 and by the time I leave will have logged 3 years there. I am getting kind of tired of the business, but maybe I just need a change of scenery. I'm really not interested in on campus jobs, I get so restless staying on campus all day. Anyone have any ideas? Whether it be in the same business or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 01:50 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,119,245 times
Before you move, you might check Kankakee on Wikipedia and also the City of Kanakakee website. It is considered a bedroom community of the southern end of the Chicago metro area. The population is approximately 50% white and 50% others. It's a smaller town and seems to have a pretty river where one can power boat or canoe. There are some malls nearby. I have no idea what students do on weekends of if you will find a job in Kankakee. .

Politics aside OK is much different than IL in many ways. Chicago metro is something like 8+ times larger than Tulsa metro. The culture and religious communities in and around Chicago are very diverse and you may find a Baptist or AG church located next to a Jewish shul or Moslim temple. Chicago traffic is heavy and moves a lot fasther than it does in Dallas, OKC or Tulsa.

My advice is to stick close to your residence and campus and observe. It will take you a while to get your feet on the ground. IL winters in Chicago are bitterly cold. You will need heavy winter clothing and a heavy coat.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:53 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,119,245 times
Before you move, you might check Kankakee on Wikipedia and also the City of Kanakakee website. It is considered a bedroom community of the southern end of the Chicago metro area. The population is approximately 50% white and 50% others. It's a smaller town and seems to have a pretty river where one can power boat or canoe. There are some malls nearby. I have no idea what students do on weekends of if you will find a job in Kankakee. .

Politics aside OK is much different than IL in many ways. Chicago metro is something like 8+ times larger than Tulsa metro. The culture and religious communities in and around Chicago are very diverse and you may find a Baptist or AG church located next to a Jewish shul or Moslim temple. Chicago traffic is heavy and moves a lot fasther than it does in Dallas, OKC or Tulsa.

My advice is to stick close to your residence and campus and observe. It will take you a while to get your feet on the ground. IL winters in Chicago are bitterly cold. You will need heavy winter clothing and a heavy coat.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:29 PM

I have family in Wisconsin, cold is the least of my concerns.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 AM

179 posts, read 483,866 times
Nameless: Congrats on your decision to give Illinois a try! Hope it works out well for you. As far as the city of Kankakee goes, it's actually three cities in one ... made up of Kankakee, Bradley and Bourbonnais. The main arteries for getting around are Rte. 45, which goes directly by Olivet University, Rte. 50, (which connects with Interstate 57) and goes by many of the most new business areas of town and connects with larger communities to the north that also employment opportunties. There are many grocery stores, Wal-Mart, Target, shopping mall, franchise stores, and restaurants within these communities. Olivet is surrounded by many stores and small restaurants, all within easy walking or biking distance, if this is the school you are attending. KKK Jr. College lies upon I-57 and is extremely easy to get to and offers all that the interstate and area have. A variety of housing is available within the area. The area holds a multi-ethnic population. I attended school within this community as well years ago. I always found it a good place to attend school and visit. Chicago's a close hour drive away. Enjoy!

Old 03-10-2009, 09:29 PM

profmortgagebanker: Thanks for all the info. I've been to the area before. About 4 years ago a cousin of mine got married in Manteno. I'll be attending Olivet. It's where my parents went to school, so in a way I'm going home really. I'm really excited about being close to Chicago. I was there this past Summer and loved it! I'm guessing chances are I'll probably just have to get out and about after arriving at school to find much employment? I figured it would likely be that way anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois