U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:37 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,169,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolarchy View Post
we have no option...got a 10 month old baby...i know 90 miles is a lot..but its not impossible..i am trying to be optimitic here..
Well, to say you have no other option doesnt quite make sense to me. There are several places to live in between that could shorten your commute, even by just a bit.

It would drive me crazy driving that far everybody, but its your choice and I hope it works out for you.

If you are set on Springfield, I believe there are duplexes for rent fairly close to UIS, which is on the southern edge of the city.

Also, there are many Apartments located on and just off Toronto Rd, also on the southside of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 10:22 AM

23 posts, read 57,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post

If you are set on Springfield, I believe there are duplexes for rent fairly close to UIS, which is on the southern edge of the city.

Also, there are many Apartments located on and just off Toronto Rd, also on the southside of the city.
Yep, definitely check out the apartments off Toronto Rd. Kensington Place is generally pretty quiet and and offers great access to I-55.

http://richgebhardtproperties.com/

Old 04-06-2009, 06:54 PM

5 posts, read 21,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
90 miles is nothing. I commuted for 2 years, 3x a week from Peoria to Chicago, Loop. 161 miles one-way. I left at 4:30am and arrived in my office across from the Sears Tower at 7:30am and left at 3:00pm, arriving home each time around 6:00pm. If I ever missed my window going or coming, I could end up 1 hour late either way!

Well that's good to know that people commute long distances too..thanks for keeping my hopes alive.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:07 PM

5 posts, read 21,770 times
Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate your help.

PS: Skipcromer, I can understand your concern but my baby will go to daycare at springfield and my wife's job is going to be busy thats the reason we dont want them to communte more than 15 to 20 miles. Aboveall, we really did not find any good towns in between...

Old 04-06-2009, 09:16 PM

Fair enough, as I said, I really hope the commute is not hard on you. I cant really speak much for the towns in between, but I have always thought that Auburn and Pawnee were decent enough places to live. That would save a little over 10 miles for ya.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 PM

166 posts, read 710,224 times
koolarchy - sorry for the late response. I would definitely check the apts on Toronto Rd by Lake Pointe Subdivision. They are owned/managed by ApartmentMart of Springfield - they also have new apartments on the north edge of Chatham (5 minutes from Springfield). There are nice little towns between Springfield and St Louis - but I can certainly understand not wanting to commute far with the baby. Best of luck - if I can be of help, PM me - I'll see that quicker!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:01 PM

4 posts, read 13,929 times
Hi Heather. I am a young woman in her late 20's and have lived in Springfield since I was born. I am fairly familiar with which apts to stay away from and which ones are ok. Absolutely stay away from any apt on Seven Pines (and the surrouding area). My fiancee lived there for a short time but moved because of the crime. I would have him walk me to and from my car every day. The police were there almost daily. Chatham Hills (if I remember correctly) is off Jefferson. Looks ok from the outside but the insides are bad. Sketchy people living there as well...

As for safe areas, I would actually look in Chatham. It is a very nice town that has been expanding over the years. Many of the new high $$ homes are being built around there. Very decent, professional community. There are some homes you can rent that were decent in price. If you want to stay in Springfield, stay on the West side. The apts are pricey but they're much safer than Seven Pines or Chatham Hills. Good luck!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:15 PM

Chatham hills is right next to Seven Pines. No where near jefferson.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:10 PM

54 posts, read 146,078 times
I have lived in Springfield all of my life and I would not recommend Chatham Hills or anything in the Seven Pines area. I highly recommend living in Westchester. Especially if you have animals, there are several townhomes, "Westchester Townhomes" which allow pets. They are 2 story with a full finished basement and rent for only $685! Also, there are some really good apartments over off of Koke Mill. Smythberry, Boysenberry, Checkerberry. They are all under Denmar Builders rental company.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:37 AM

4 posts, read 13,929 times
My error. Chatham Hills is near the seven pines area. Regardless, it is one I would avoid. I was thinking of Olde Towne Apartments. The poster above mentioned several nice ones off Koke Mill. I've been in several and they are really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois