Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:38 AM

16 posts, read 39,793 times

Advertisements

I'm 26 and considering moving to chicago for a job position. Other potentials for the position include rockford, waukegan, and tinley park. I'm from NC and I'm not sure I'm quite ready for the big city of chicago. Are there any other cities or suburbs near chicago that are nice, good for singles, and still give me access to chicago? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 12:58 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
First of all, Chicago will be a big culture shock and so will the North. Chicago winter's - in all northern winters are much like living in a commercial deep freezer. I am not trying to be disparaging. It is what it is. Chicago Metro has 8M people and sprawls for 40 miles or so. The Outer Drive is 10 lanes. I think there are 5-6 different expressways, the EL, and the trains and buses to move traffic.

Chicago has many suburbs. You will still be faced with working in the City and getting to and from work. It can be a daunting task if you are not used to snow and ice and sub-zero wind chills.
If you are not ready for this, what do you thing about areas between 150-350,000 that are too far to drive to work in Chicago, yet still close enough to drive to Chicago for a weekend or a ball game?

If you are interested, click on my name, select "Send Dierct Message to Linicx" with your questions, and I will reply.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:00 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,167 times
oak park

Old 04-04-2009, 09:57 AM

16 posts, read 39,793 times
Yes, a lot of friends seem to be recommending Oak Park. I'm coming from Charlotte and I'm used to more open space, outdoor live music, parks, ect. Could you tell me a little bit more about what there is for singles? I'm also considering evanston, arlington heights, highland park (all depending on if/where I get a job)

Old 04-04-2009, 04:45 PM

115 posts, read 291,296 times
If you're single go to the city. It's a lot of fun. Lincoln Park in particular is great. Lots of weekend festivals, the beach, etc. But there's lots in the Gold Coast too- but it's a quick bus ride from LP. Wrigleyville and Andersonville are nice too. I can't imagine living in the suburbs if I were single. It's just so family oriented out here.

Good luck.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:03 PM

36 posts, read 73,359 times
I agree with Sarah...live in the City. Tons of events, funky stores, very walkable, great public transportation. I have lived here for almost 9-years in Lincoln Park and absolutely love it. Ask me any questions you have!!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:23 AM

483 posts, read 1,221,427 times
The last 2 posters are right. You might be satisfied with the burbs for the first month or so, but once you get the hang of stuff and realize what you're missing, you'll regret it.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:24 PM

328 posts, read 1,396,405 times
Default Not even a question...live in the city!

The suburbs are VERY family oriented, the city has many, many more single people then the suburbs.

I would HIGHLY recommend visiting Chicago before moving here to make sure you like the city living aspect (walking to the grocery store, not owning/driving a car everywhere, taking public transportation). When you visit, you should explore some of the neighborhoods, not just stay downtown.

It can be a very big culture shock compared to Charlotte. My ex's company is headquartered out of there, and when we lived together in Kansas City we would compare Charlotte to Chicago...he knew there was a huge difference in the culture and life.

I think you will definitely like it here...Chicago is a huge mesh of people from all over the USA and world, and there is something for everyone...even single people!

Old 04-06-2009, 05:50 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,167 times
aurora would be another good place

Old 04-06-2009, 08:17 PM

281 posts, read 928,036 times
Chicago is a hugely fun place for young single people, the music, theaters, clubs, restaurants, etc. And of course all the other young, single people to mingle with. The suburbs are very nice and have many attractions also.

I live near Waukegan and I love it, but I got about 30 years on you, we may not have the same tastes. Also, when you leave the city, you absolutely have to have an automobile to do anything, which puts a huge damper on your nightlife. (DUI convictions are a huge source of revenue for most suburban communities).

I'd have to know more about what you like to do to steer you in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois