Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2007, 06:48 PM

20 posts, read 146,092 times

Advertisements

Well we are also seriously considering the Quincy area...anyone have any info.???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 09:32 PM

49 posts, read 319,384 times
The area in general is fairly economically depressed and there is limited industry and employment available there... Here's my take on the two towns:

Quincy is the much larger of the two towns and will likely have more employment opportunities, but the towns are fairly close to each other and you could commute to work in either, there is no traffic to contend with between or within the towns. Some things to consider:
Both towns have areas of beautiful old victorian homes.
Hannibal has more historic attractions and national name recognition (if that's important to you).
Hannibal is more economically depressed than Quincy, so you may get more home for your money there, but also with correspondingly lower re-sale value.
Taxes in IL generally are considerably higher than in MO, especially gasoline tax... gas in IL is about 10-15 cents higher than in MO.
Quincy has more shopping, entertainment and services than Hannibal.
IMHO, the MO side of the river has prettier landscape, more hills etc. whereas Quincy area is pretty much flat.
Hannibal has a "quaint" historic district with little shops and Mark Twain attractions, but also some run down areas of abandoned storefronts etc. on the South end of town. Quincy's downtown has a small convention center and a few restaurants and shops, but without the "quaint" factor, as well as some empty buildings.

Those are the pro's and con's as I see 'em.

Ken

Old 06-27-2007, 05:39 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,220,055 times
I'm from Quincy and I would agree with the above comments. If you have questions about Quincy, you can PM me.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:35 PM

5 posts, read 15,060 times
Default Quincy and Hannibal employment

I am needing advice on finding employment in either Hannibal or Quincy. I am most interested in hospitality, working with a hotel/bed and breakfast. As well as working within the arts or tourism. I am planning to move within the next few weeks, and would love to find a career building job opportunity before hand.
Not yet having relocated, I would greatly appreciate your opinions before the big move. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:55 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,220,055 times
Your best bet in Quincy is to move and then go around to the hotels in the area and applying face to face. shouldn't be too hard, but there aren't a whole lot of b & bs. There is also a lot with the arts. Basically, when you get here, grab the classifieds/do cold calling and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois