Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 04:18 PM

39 posts, read 172,384 times

Advertisements

My son is considering the U. of I. law school but won't have the opportunity to visit before committing. He has to decide by the end of this week. They don't have graduate housing and their web site doesn't provide much regarding options. Anyone know of good graduate housing/apartments near campus? What would rent be like for a one bedroom? Does the university have good exercise facilities for students? Anyone have any exposure to the Law School or insight they could provide? We're in the Seattle area and know it's farm country, and that's not an issue. He went to the University of Washington undergraduate so is used to a large urban campus. Is there anything other than the university in town? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 04:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I lived in Champaign-Urbana for 7 years, many years ago. There are tons of apartments in town. Your son should try some of the usual internet sources such as craigslist for apts. However, as just came up on another forum, seeing is believing. I have no idea how much apts rent for in that town any more; probably less than one would pay in Seattle. I think that information is available on city-data. There is a rec center for students there; you should be able to find information about it on the U of I website. There is not much in C-U besides the university. There is a Kraft Foods factory, and of course, businesses that provide goods and services to students and residents, e.g. retail, health care. A few small businesses. Lots of pizza parlors!

Old 03-25-2007, 07:00 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,268 times
Not much else there? At least 75% of the people in Champaign-Urbana have no connection with the University. As for housing, look up the News-Gazette website ( http://www.news-gazette.com ) or the Daily Illini (I don't know that site offhand).

Old 03-25-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxtonian View Post
Not much else there? At least 75% of the people in Champaign-Urbana have no connection with the University. As for housing, look up the News-Gazette website ( http://www.news-gazette.com ) or the Daily Illini (I don't know that site offhand).
Most common industry for males and females: education. Most common occupation for males and females: post-secondary education. 36,284 full-time students at U of I. Total population of Champaign-Urbana: 93,913. % of population that are UI students: 38%.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
U of I is a pretty selective law school; he should have a pretty decent job lined up when he graduates. Be aware that most of the legal contacts at the school are in the Chicago area, so there's a good chance that most of his job prospects are going to keep him in the Midwest after graduation.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:39 PM

39 posts, read 172,384 times
Default Law School

We were pleased he got accepted - looks like they have only about a 15% acceptance rate. It does look like most of the hiring is regional, but Chicago certainly has a lot to offer if that's where he starts out.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:32 AM

131 posts, read 744,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Most common industry for males and females: education. Most common occupation for males and females: post-secondary education. 36,284 full-time students at U of I. Total population of Champaign-Urbana: 93,913. % of population that are UI students: 38%.
The population of Champaign and Urbana that is reported counts those who are permanent residents. The population given does not include students.

There is no question that Champaign-Urbana is a university town, but you overstate how much influence UIUC has on it.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Switch625;498516]The population of Champaign and Urbana that is reported counts those who are permanent residents. The population given does not include students

I believe you are incorrect about that. When I/we lived there, everyone in the house was counted, including DH who was a U of I student at the time.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-26-2007 at 06:54 PM..

Old 03-26-2007, 06:53 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,514,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post

I believe you are incorrect about that. When my daughter was in college during the last census, she was counted as a resident of her college town.

Was she living on campus? I graduated medical school a few years ago, and when I lived on campus I did not count. When I lived on my own, it counted. I'm not sure about that state but in New York, you are counted as population by the resident location on your drivers license, depends on establishment of residency. I also checked MO and its the same there. Still dont no much bout IL

Old 03-26-2007, 06:57 PM

Well, I just edited my post. It was my husband, not my daughter. My daughter lived in a dorm and was eligible to vote in her college town. That's what I was thinking of. But this issue has been debated again and again, and the answer is always the same: the students count in their college town. Even in the dorms. Look at the city-data data on apts, etc for Champaign. It gives the number of people living in dorms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois