U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2009, 06:06 PM
 
1 posts, read 6,354 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

hi!

i am also going to be moving to Peoria soon, and will be living alone so i was wondering what you had decided to do and if you're happy with it so far. i saw that lots of people had suggested timberlane and for some reason i had previously ruled it out. just curious.

thanks, and i hope everything is going well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2009, 12:43 PM
 
Location: West Bluff
23 posts, read 82,303 times
Reputation: 12
Default You must not visit the West Bluff often

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I would suggest you look towards north of Peoria, in the direction of Dunlap. That is where all the new growth is occuring, and the apt. complexes are being built at a fairly rapid pace in this direction. At the intersection of War Memorial Drive and Allen Road is a nice apt. complex called Timberlane. They may be a bit cheaper than living in one of the new complexes north of Peoria, and they are conventiently located near the interstate and the new mall, Shoppes at Grand Prarie.

I would personally avoid anything downtown, and the Bradley area is only good if you are going to school there or will be spending time at Bradley, otherwise, that neighborhood is not good. Outside of frat and sorority row, where there are mainly rentals to college kids, the area is poor and economically depressed
I completely disagree with this assessment. The West bluff near Bradley U & Methodist hospital are some of the finest neighborhoods in Peoria. Moss ave., High St. & Randolph boast some of the most beautifully restored, archetecturally significant & historic mansions in all of Illinois. The area has a rich history & very good people living there. There are segments of the bluff in the University East, Orchard district & Columbia terr. that have some questionable elements, but even they are on the verge of renewal. Moss-Bradley is one of the safest neighborhoods in town and anyone saying otherwise must not ever spend much time there. I've lived in many areas of Peoria for the past 33 years and I've seen some bad neighborhoods. There are few parts of town in which I can feel safe walking the streets at midnight, as I can in Moss-Bradley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 01:06 PM
 
Location: West Bluff
23 posts, read 82,303 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesInTheSky View Post
Thanks for the clarification on the Bradley area. I did not realize the problem spread that far from downtown and up into that neighborhood. The only times I went around Bradley was to get a bite to eat (and usually school was in session). It looked okay to me, but I never really cruised the side streets of the Bradley area and did not realize that area has problems.

BTW, I have a friend that lives in Dunlap and I've been there a few times. I remember that as a very safe and stable area within an easy drive to the shopping mall and other stores, although for me it would be a little too far from downtown (I like to live close to work). If I worked in downtown Peoria, I'd probably live in East Peoria.
The crime doesn't spread into that area. This person has totally misinformed you. I've lived in many parts of Peoria, Moss-Bradley and the Uplands are fantastic neighborhoods. They are very well suited for single people & families. They friendly and diverse. Some people are easily frightened by the sight of other cultures & races. If you want a boring, cookie cutter existance in an assembly line house in a McNeighborhood, then move to Dunlap. But if you want to enjoy all the benefits of city life, live in the West Bluff. These kinds of myths & misconceptions about urban Peoria are what has caused people to be affraid of it. It's ridiculous. I never wanted to buy my own house till I moved to this part of town. I highly recommend getting a place there. You wont regret it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Central Illinois -
21,524 posts, read 14,343,579 times
Reputation: 14661
Quote:
Originally Posted by peoriashows View Post
I completely disagree with this assessment. The West bluff near Bradley U & Methodist hospital are some of the finest neighborhoods in Peoria. Moss ave., High St. & Randolph boast some of the most beautifully restored, archetecturally significant & historic mansions in all of Illinois. The area has a rich history & very good people living there. There are segments of the bluff in the University East, Orchard district & Columbia terr. that have some questionable elements, but even they are on the verge of renewal. Moss-Bradley is one of the safest neighborhoods in town and anyone saying otherwise must not ever spend much time there. I've lived in many areas of Peoria for the past 33 years and I've seen some bad neighborhoods. There are few parts of town in which I can feel safe walking the streets at midnight, as I can in Moss-Bradley.
First off, it is worth noting that "the neighborhood around Bradley" is North of Main Street, which is actually behind the university itself. Moss Avenue might be safe, but to say there are some "questionable elements" on Columbia Terrace is really kind of funny. I'd like you to walk thru that neighborhood after dark sometime and tell me just how safe you feel.

Again, there are many enclaves around Bradley that are relatively safe, such as sorority row, which is near Barker Ave., but these neighborhoods themselves are a mix of Bradley students, homeowners and renters (I have a brother who lives in Barker) but if you cross Main street, and are on the north side of Main St., between it and the I-74 then that entire neighborhood is unsafe to be in after dark. For someone who is not familiar with the city to be looking in this area, its very important they know where they are looking, and are familiar with the entire neighborhood, not just the Moss Ave./Uplands part of town.

In short, thats why I would steer someone unfamiliar with the area away from there. But you are correct they are good neighborhoods and diverse, with many larger, older, beautiful homes that you dont find in much of Peoria

If you are going to be renting, its a safe bet you wont find much to rent on Moss Avenue., so looking for housing in this area is somewhat of a long shot. I agree that this area is much better than the cookie cutter suburbs you will find in the Dunlap area and other parts of Peoria.

Last edited by odanny; 09-15-2009 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 04:37 PM
 
Location: West Bluff
23 posts, read 82,303 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
First off, it is worth noting that "the neighborhood around Bradley" is North of Main Street, which is actually behind the university itself. Moss Avenue might be safe, but to say there are some "questionable elements" on Columbia Terrace is really kind of funny. I'd like you to walk thru that neighborhood after dark sometime and tell me just how safe you feel.

Again, there are many enclaves around Bradley that are relatively safe, such as sorority row, which is near Barker Ave., but these neighborhoods themselves are a mix of Bradley students, homeowners and renters (I have a brother who lives in Barker) but if you cross Main street, and are on the north side of Main St., between it and the I-74 then that entire neighborhood is unsafe to be in after dark. For someone who is not familiar with the city to be looking in this area, its very important they know where they are looking, and are familiar with the entire neighborhood, not just the Moss Ave./Uplands part of town.

In short, thats why I would steer someone unfamiliar with the area away from there. But you are correct they are good neighborhoods and diverse, with many larger, older, beautiful homes that you dont find in much of Peoria

If you are going to be renting, its a safe bet you wont find much to rent on Moss Avenue., so looking for housing in this area is somewhat of a long shot. I agree that this area is much better than the cookie cutter suburbs you will find in the Dunlap area and other parts of Peoria.
I do walk around the Armstrong/Ellis & Randolph/Ronoake neighborhoods after dark. Both have good neighbors that have a very alert neighborhood watches. There have been reletively few incidences there in the last decade and that's where I'm considering a home purchase. When you get to High st. it's even safer. I also walk through Columbia Terrace sometimes, but you are correct that Columbia Terr & Armstrong between North st & University are not an ideal place to live, as well as the Orchard district and I wouldn't recomend someone new to town go there first, but those bad parts are nothing like the southside and certainly a far cry from Moss-Bradley, the Uplands & High st. which are excellent areas. Your orginal comment was a blanket statement that any area around Bradley is bad and econimically depressed which is simply not true. Many of the mansions on High & Moss were converted to apartments in the 1940s when Peoria had a population boom and no houses to fill the people with. Many of them still remain apartments. Zerla properties, for example, owns many of them and rents them out to middle class & upper middle class individuals & families (rent ranges from $650 to $1500+.) In addition there are a large number of houses for rent in the Uplands which is a very quiet, family dominated area and a great place for someone to start their life in Peoria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2010, 12:53 PM
 
1 posts, read 5,371 times
Reputation: 12
Make sure you don't move to the Villa Bordeaux Apartments! You will be HIGHLY disappointed!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2010, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Not where you ever lived
11,544 posts, read 25,982,050 times
Reputation: 6248
This is Peoria Police Department map of the crime areas in Peoria.

CrimeView Community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Northern Indiana
29 posts, read 34,625 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesInTheSky View Post
For example, they had to move the riverboat casino from the downtown area to the opposite side of the river in large part because of the crime.

Actually, the casino was never in Peoria. When the Paradise Casino first came to town, they wanted to move to Peoria but Peoria turned them down. The casino then decided on East Peoria and East Peoria actually welcomed them and their business. I'm sure Peoria's kicking themselves in the butt for this decision because of it's profitibility but the casino never was in Peoria, let alone move because of crime downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Not where you ever lived
11,544 posts, read 25,982,050 times
Reputation: 6248
Are you sure that at the beginning the casino was not in Peoria at the foot of Main Street for a very short time? It did not last long. I seem to think it was in between the departure of the Julie Belle and the arrival of the paddle wheel boat that followed it the next spring. I believe it was a temporary arrangementm while a new home for it in East Peoira was being readied.

Last edited by linicx; 10-25-2011 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2011, 01:41 AM
 
Location: Northern Indiana
29 posts, read 34,625 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Are you sure that at the beginning the casino was not in Peoria at the foot of Main Street for a very short time? It did not last long. I seem to think it was in between the departure of the Julie Belle and the arrival of the paddle wheel boat that followed it the next spring. I believe it was a temporary arrangementm while a new home for it in East Peoira was being readied.

You are correct, Par-a-dice was in Peoria from 91-93. It was only temporary until the permanent site in East Peoria was ready, but Maloof never wanted the casino in the first place (don't know why he allowed it to temporarily be there but who knows). My dad always told the story about how Peoria was probably kicking their butts about that decision so that's how I knew about it lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top