Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:45 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Madison is the coolest college town ever. Makes Chambana look like a total cow town.
Have only blown through Madison, so can't comment on it. However, Chambana is a cow town, or rather, a corn town. Also a hell-hole, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 11:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Glad you liked it.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:57 PM

18 posts, read 89,775 times
Drover, where on earth was this place you never want to go back to?

Old 03-29-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter2007 View Post
Drover, where on earth was this place you never want to go back to?
I try to keep my negative rants on specific places to a minimum, so see PM.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:53 PM

40 posts, read 258,600 times
Default Complaining

Of all the places I've spent time in or around, the one that people complained the most about was Toronto, Ontario. The funny thing, it is one of the cleanest most well managed large cities I have seen. For such a large metro area, crime is incredibly low and the city does an amazing job of planning and delivering services. I've never seen as many apologists as I've seen for places like Decatur and Rockford, Illinois. After all, many will point out, it's much worse somewhere else. It was later on, living in Madison, Wisconsin, another city of complainers that I began to realize something. Purely subjective, although it would make for some interesting research, the quality of a community seems to be directly, not inversely, proportional to the amount of complaining that people engage in. I haven't quite figured out what the cause and effect are. Still, I have a strong suspicion that it has something to do with a willingness to identify and solve problems in the early stages before they get out of hand. Pretending everything is just fine, when in reality it isn't, just seems like an excuse for complacency. I don't believe that complaining is productive in and of itself, but it seems to me to be symptomatic of a willingness to work toward making things better. Loving the place you live, always looking at things from as positive an angle as possible, might be psychologically healthier....

Old 03-30-2007, 10:48 AM

131 posts, read 742,928 times
I'm amazed at all the complaining about Champaign-Urbana. I've lived in this area all my life, and I don't see a thing wrong with it. I've traveled, and seen beauty in other places and other cities. I want to go places and do things. But home is here and I always want to come back.

Born here, grew up here, live here, and will likely die here. I'm proud of that.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:30 PM

28 posts, read 146,136 times
Try florida. You will like it.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:25 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,331,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanaddict View Post
I wont lie and say that I dont want to live elswhere then where I already am.

I DO!

Yet, there is another thing that has to be considered... though I want to move with all of my being and want to live in the perfect location and want to have the ocean to see out my front door...
Sometimes we have to just roll with the lemons we got and suck it up...

In order to have a happy life in the location your in... You have to make life the happiest with what you have in the location your in... No matter if it is as simple as reading a book under a tree or stareing at the stars on a warm Autums night...

Whatever your locations has use it... Dont overlook it.. You may always want to move, but never get the chance.. What a waste it would be of the location you are in if you never get to know what it has to offer...

Stop looking at all the negitive and start magnifying the positive no matter how small it may seem.
Perfect advice! Now all I have to do is remember it. I lived in Boston all my life then my husband got transferred to Chicago. I hated it. I missed the familiar foods, my family, and my friends. Then he got transferred to D.C. and I longed for Chicago. I wished that I had spent more time exploring the neighborhoods and enjoying what it had to offer me. I hated D.C. too. The people were rude and way too political for me. A few years later we retired to paradise, i.e., Vero Beach, Florida, and now I miss being on the pulse of things in D.C. Someday we'll leave Vero Beach, with it's glut of senior citizens, it's heat and humidity, and we'll long for the beach, the warm January nights in our lanai drinking wine, the pelicans and the snowy egrets, and the palm trees, and jeez... you are sooooooooo right! Because the truth of the matter is... you can't go home again. I held all these places up to Boston and now, given the chance, I can't imagine freezing my **** off in the Northeast, living in a small house in a crowded neighborhood. What is wrong with us that we can't appreciate the moment we are in. Thanks, Oceanaddict!

Old 04-04-2007, 12:33 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,877,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Have only blown through Madison, so can't comment on it. However, Chambana is a cow town, or rather, a corn town. Also a hell-hole, IMO.
I can't hear you over my REO Speedwagon, reading George Will ........

Champaign/Savoy is getting a new I-57 interchange at Curtis Road! It's sooooooo exciting. I thought when the new Applebees and Culver Burger opened on South Neil, that the world was shining brighly! Well, I need sunglasses now.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:36 AM

I don't mean to be disparaging, but I'm not sure I could live in a place where the opening of a Crapplebee's "Neighborhood" Bar and Grille would be a momentous occasion. (When's the last time a mall out-lot constituted a neighborhood anyway? )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois