Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2007, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,732 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are looking to relocate to Lincoln. Can anyone give us the rundown on the pros and cons of the area? eg: moral & outlook of the community, Is it a friendly community? Are there any cultural activities?, parks? Availability of whole foods, natural foods? Swimming and recreation areas?
a positive outlook? Please share anything you know... We need to make up out minds quickly.. and these things are important to us
Thanks much,
~suz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 07:34 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,741,659 times
I don't live in Lincoln (we live a few miles away) but my husband used to work there until the state mental hospital was closed. This closure severely depressed the area. Hundreds were left without jobs. They are just beginning to recuperate from this closure.

Basically it is a nice small city. Population is I think right around 16,000.
A brand new super Walmart just opened a few weeks ago. The city has three nice colleges, Lincoln Christian College, Lincoln College (2 year) and Heartland Community College (2 year).

There is a hospital, Abraham Lincoln Memorial Hospital which is a part of the largest downstate medical center located in Springfield (Memorial Medical Center).

The downtown area has a couple of coffee shops, antique places, a movie theater, several eating establishments, two thrift stores, jewelry store, bars/lounges, a couple of fine quality gift-type stores, Abes Carmelcorn Shoppe (this is a wonderful place), Lincoln Courier Newspaper.

On the west side, there is a variety of shopping areas. Goodys, Dollar Tree, Big R Farm Store, Payless Shoes, Cracker Barrel, Kroger Food Store, Walmart, Fashion Bug, Russell Stover Candy (made and sold here), several motels. As far as being able to do massive amounts of apparel shopping, it just doesn't exist in Lincoln.

There are two correctional centers located on the far south side of the city. Even though these are there, the city is very safe.

In the summer Farm produce is available at roadside stands. I'm not aware of any free standing organic stores there but the last time I was at Kroger's the produce department is quite large and had organically grown items.

I think there is a swimming pool on Primm Road in the park. I know the Lincoln College has a pool. There is one rural area park with hiking, wildlife, and fishing.

Springfield and Bloominton/Normal are just short drives away. Both have numerous shopping, dining recreational areas, medical facilities, fine arts presentations, museums, lakes, etc.

I'm not really sure on the rating of Lincoln schools, but I have relatives whose kids go there and they think the schools are great.

Just be aware that if you are used to big city living, then you might be in for a culture shock. But if you like the feel of small community living then you will most likely be satisfied.

Good luck. Hopes this helps.

http://www.logancountytourism.org/

Last edited by doll lady; 04-03-2007 at 07:44 AM..

Old 04-10-2007, 05:53 PM

40 posts, read 258,819 times
Lincoln is a nice, quiet little town with a very Midwestern feel. Many, but certainly not all, people in Lincoln are conservative and religion plays an important role in their lives. The town offers a reasonable amount of shopping and dining given its small size, but don't expect any more than the basics. Since it is primarily an agricultural area, it doesn't offer the amount of outdoor recreation you will find in other parts of the Midwest. Don't expect to find much in the way of organic food either, certainly not a whole foods (the nearest is in the Chicago and St Louis areas).

I travel there to meet my smoking friends at Rusty's since Lincoln doesn't have a smoking ban like other places in the region :-) It is about a 1/2 hour drive from the largest metro area in downstate Illinois (Peoria) the largest city downstate (Springfield) and one of the fastest growing cities downstate (Bloomington/Normal). For any real shopping, culture, entertainment, etc, you will likely be driving 1/2 hour away. Given its central location, I've long thought that Springfield, Bloomington and Peoria should work together to build a real airport in Lincoln, and give up on the struggling airports of their own. Lincoln does have an Amtrak stop, which makes St. Louis as well as downtown Chicago easily accessible by train. Unlike other small towns in the region, Lincoln has grown at a reasonable pace, and people seem to have a relatively positive outlook. I believe this is largely due to a pro growth city government and central location in the state with good transportation options.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:32 PM

40 posts, read 258,819 times
I had to make a quick addition, and some general comments about Central Illinois, since I saw that you were from Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Speaking as a someone who was once a "yooper" I'd guess that the biggest transition in moving to a place like Lincoln would be the lack of forests. It's not that there aren't trees down here, but there aren't the pervasive miles and miles of forested area. This isn't a bad part of the world, but people just don't dream of living in Central Illinois the same way they dream of living in da UP. The scenery here is more subtle. Culturally, it feels like you couldn't get closer to the middle of the country, it's neither north nor south nor east nor west. Suprisingly, work is a lot easier to come by, the cost of living is actually lower than it would be in Marquette, and wages are generally good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois